Group delay calculation through S-parameters extracted from a touchstone file

In summary, the conversation discusses working on the group delay of a front end filter for a GPS system. The measurements of the S parameters of the filter are provided in a touchstone file and the goal is to model the group delay in Matlab, pass a signal through it, and analyze the distortion. The concept of group delay is defined as the delay of the signal from input to output, which can be calculated for each frequency component using the amplitude and phase change from S21. However, any mismatches in the system must also be taken into consideration.
rizias
Hello everyone,
I am working on the group delay of the front end filter of a GPS system. I am given the measurements of the S parameters of the filter in a touchstone file (s2p) in the following format.
! S-Parameter for B3521 in Touchstone format with Magnitude (lin) and Phase
! Normalised impedance: 50 Ohm. Measurement system: 50 Ohm. Ta=25°C
! B3521_SB.S2P not matched. Measurement full 2-port calibrated incl. Port.Ext.
! Start: 1.3GHz, Stop: 1.8GHz, Span 500MHz 801 Pts., Step 312kHz.
! Date: 21/03/07 - EPCOS SAW COM WT AE PD; AB !

MHZ S MA R 50

! freq magS11 angS11 magS21 angS21 magS12 angS12 magS22 angS22 1.300000E+03 9.676685E-01 -7.491579E+01 2.369824E-04 1.706093E+02 2.323036E-04 1.696126E+02 9.564306E-01 -8.052716E+01…..
That I want to do is to model the group delay of the particular filter in matlab, pass through it a signal and comment on the introduced distortion. I can understand that I can calculate the group delay through the angle of the transmission coefficient (S21).But I cannot understand how,while I have only numbers,I don’t know how to take the derivative needed for calculating it (if it is the only way of finding it) .
Isn’t it that the tg=(-1/360)*dfi/df,if it is how do I take the derivative of a number while it is zero?
Thank you in advance for your reply.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am no expert in the group delay this way, I just join in and talk. So don't take me too serious.

I look at the definition of group delay, it defines the delay of the signal from input to output, which also implies delay of each of the frequency component of the signal. from input to output. If this is true, can this be done frequency by frequency of the input signal? You have the S21 in magnitude and phase, so you know the amplitude and phase change of each of the frequency component of the signal. So by knowing the period (T) of each of the frequency component and knowing the phase shift from S21, you can calculate the time delay of each of the component.

So if you know the frequency components of the input signal, you calculate the delay of each and then recombine them after passing through the DUT. Just make sure the S parameters cover the whole frequency range.

I know nothing about Mathlab, so I won't even try. Again, this is interesting, I am just joining in.

One concern any mismatch will add components into the output, This will complicate the situation as the reflection mixes in with the forward signal and you get the sum. So unless you have perfect matching of all the frequency components, you have to take into consideration of the input and output reflection coef [itex]\Gamma[/itex]. But you should still be able to calculate. If you dig up RF book, you get the equation and just change from phase to time delay. You just do this on every frequency component. Again, I am just talking out loud with you.

Last edited:

Related to Group delay calculation through S-parameters extracted from a touchstone file

1. What are S-parameters and how are they extracted from a touchstone file?

S-parameters, or scattering parameters, are used to characterize the behavior of a linear electrical network. They describe how a network responds to input signals at different frequencies. S-parameters can be extracted from a touchstone file, which is a standard file format used to store data for electronic circuits, by using specialized software or by manually calculating them from the circuit's transfer function.

2. Why is group delay calculation important in electronic circuits?

Group delay is a measure of the time delay a signal experiences as it passes through a circuit. It is important in electronic circuits because it can affect the overall performance of the circuit, particularly in high-frequency applications where signal delays can cause distortion or signal loss. Group delay calculation allows engineers to analyze and optimize their circuits for optimal signal transmission.

3. How is group delay calculated from S-parameters?

Group delay can be calculated from S-parameters by taking the derivative of the phase response with respect to frequency. This can be done manually using mathematical equations or with the help of software tools that can directly extract group delay values from S-parameter data.

4. Can group delay be negative and what does that indicate?

Yes, group delay can be negative. This indicates that the signal is being advanced rather than delayed as it passes through the circuit. Negative group delay is often undesirable as it can cause signal distortion and other problems in the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to using S-parameters for group delay calculation?

Yes, there are some limitations to using S-parameters for group delay calculation. S-parameters only provide information about linear circuits and may not accurately represent the behavior of nonlinear circuits. Additionally, S-parameters may not accurately capture the effects of parasitic elements in the circuit, which can impact the group delay calculation.