Group delay with Gaussian pulse

In summary: You are correct, this is just the substitution ##k=k_0+\xi## in (8.4) and then cancelling the factor ##\exp(\mathrm{i} k_0 x)## on both sides of the equations.
EmilyRuck
Hello!
Starting from a gaussian waveform propagating in a dispersive medium, is it possible to obtain an expression for the waveform at a generic time [itex]t[/itex], when the dispersion is not negligible?

I know that a generic gaussian pulse (considered as an envelope of a carrier at frequency [itex]k_c[/itex]) can be expressed for [itex]t = 0[/itex] as

[itex]g(x) = e^{ - \frac{1}{2} \left( \frac{x - x_0}{\sigma_x} \right)^2} e^{i k_c (x - x_0)}[/itex]

and its Fourier transform is

[itex]G(k) = \displaystyle \frac{\sigma_x}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} e^{- \frac{(k - k_c)^2 \sigma_x^2}{2}} e^{-i (k - k_c)x_0}[/itex]

Then, the pulse at a generic time [itex]t[/itex] can be obtained as

[itex]G(x,t) = \displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} G(k) e^{i(kx - \omega(k) t)} dk[/itex]

with [itex]\omega(k) = \omega(k_c) + (k - k_c) \displaystyle \left. \frac{d \omega}{dk} \right|_{k = k_c} + (k - k_c)^2 \left. \frac{d^2 \omega}{dk^2} \right|_{k = k_c}[/itex].

The first derivative is known as the group velocity. Note that the second derivative is considered too.

I don't know how to proceed in order to obtain an explicit form for [itex]G(x,t)[/itex] which can show its evolution during time, showing the velocity of propagation of the pulse and its possible broadening. With a simple substitution of [itex]\omega(k)[/itex] and solution of the integral I did not get such an explicit form. Is there anyone who can help, or anyone who does know a site/document dealing with this topic?
Thank you anyway,

Emily

Physics news on Phys.org
To neglect the 2nd higher derivatives of the dispersion relation is, of course, only an approximation. You can improve by keeping the 2nd order. Going beyond usually leads to cases, which cannot be integrated analytically anymore. See, e.g.,

http://nptel.ac.in/courses/112105165/lec8.pdf

Sometimes, it's necessary to consider the exact expression, e.g., in the interesting case of anomalous dispersion. There are famous historical papers on the subject by Sommerfeld and Brillouin. For a good introduction, see Sommerfeld, Lectures on theoretical physics, vol. 4 (Optics).

vanhees71 said:
To neglect the 2nd higher derivatives of the dispersion relation is, of course, only an approximation.

Yes, of course, in fact in my post I wrote the 2nd derivative has to be considered.

vanhees71 said:
You can improve by keeping the 2nd order. Going beyond usually leads to cases, which cannot be integrated analytically anymore.

Ok, I understand.

vanhees71 said:

Thank you. Did you follow the whole procedure? I can't get how he obtains a Schrödinger equation describing the amplitude of the (8.7) (page 5).

vanhees71 said:
Sometimes, it's necessary to consider the exact expression, e.g., in the interesting case of anomalous dispersion. There are famous historical papers on the subject by Sommerfeld and Brillouin. For a good introduction, see Sommerfeld, Lectures on theoretical physics, vol. 4 (Optics).

Thanks for this one too.

Emily

Concernig Eq. (8.5), isn't this just the substitution ##k=k_0+\xi## in (8.4) and then cancelling the factor ##\exp(\mathrm{i} k_0 x)## on both sides of the equations?

Yes, of course it is (as explained in the document): this is straightforward. Anyway I can't get how "the evolution of the amplitude [itex]A(x,t)[/itex] of the harmonic wave [itex]e^{i (k_0 x - \omega (k_0) t)}[/itex] in (8.7) is governed by the" Schrödinger equation (page 5).

1. What is group delay with Gaussian pulse?

Group delay with Gaussian pulse refers to the amount of time it takes for the center of a Gaussian pulse to travel through a system. It is a measure of the delay or distortion that a signal experiences as it passes through the system.

2. How is group delay with Gaussian pulse calculated?

The group delay with Gaussian pulse can be calculated by taking the derivative of the phase response of the system with respect to frequency. This can also be represented as the negative slope of the phase-frequency curve.

3. What is the significance of group delay with Gaussian pulse in signal processing?

Group delay with Gaussian pulse is an important factor to consider in signal processing as it affects the timing and phase of signals. It can impact the overall performance and quality of a system, particularly in applications such as communication and radar systems.

4. How does the bandwidth of a Gaussian pulse affect group delay?

The bandwidth of a Gaussian pulse is directly related to the group delay, with a wider bandwidth resulting in a longer group delay. This is because a wider bandwidth means a larger range of frequencies, which can cause more distortion and delay in the signal as it passes through the system.

5. Can group delay with Gaussian pulse be minimized?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate group delay, it can be minimized by using filters and equalizers to compensate for the phase distortion caused by the system. Additionally, choosing a Gaussian pulse with a narrower bandwidth can also help reduce the group delay.