Is the Direct Product of Groups Associative and Have an Identity Element?

In summary, the conversation discusses the three axioms that need to be proved: associativity, existence of the identity element, and existence of the right inverse. For associativity, it is noted that the binary operations of G and H must already be associative, and the elements of G X H are composed of these operations, making it associative. For the identity element, it is suggested that G X H can have the set (e,f) as its identity element. For the right inverse, it is mentioned that it can be found using the knowledge that G and H are groups, with their respective identity elements and inverses for their operations. The importance of writing out the steps for (ab)c and showing its transformation into a(bc) is
joelkato1605
Homework Statement
Prove G X H is a group.
Relevant Equations
N/A
So I that I need to prove the axioms: associativity, existence of the identity element, and existence of the right inverse.

For associativity I know that the binary operations of G and H have to already be associative, and the elements of G X H are made up of these binary operations, so therefore it is associative?

For identity element let G have identity element e, and H have identity element f, can the identity element of G X H have the set (e,f), so that if (x,y) are included in G X H then (e,f) * (x,y) = (x,y) = (x,y) * (e,f)?

For the right inverse I am stuck, I don't know how to find it without knowing what the binary operations actually do.

Attachments

• Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    13.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    13.3 KB · Views: 97
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that G and H are groups, so you know that they each have an identity element and inverses for their respective operations. That should be enough. You don't need to know anything more about them.

joelkato1605 said:
For associativity I know that the binary operations of G and H have to already be associative, and the elements of G X H are made up of these binary operations, so therefore it is associative?

I think you might know what you're trying to say, but the words here are wrong. The elements of GxH are not made up of the binary operations on G and H, they are made from elements of G and H.

I think it is a good exercise to actually write down (ab)c and show how it transforms into a(bc) step by step.

Likes FactChecker

What is the direct product of groups?

The direct product of groups is a mathematical operation that combines two or more groups to create a new group. It is denoted by the symbol "×" and is defined as the set of all possible combinations of elements from the original groups, with the group operation being applied component-wise.

Is the direct product of groups associative?

Yes, the direct product of groups is associative. This means that when combining three or more groups, the order in which the direct products are performed does not matter. In other words, (G1 × G2) × G3 is equivalent to G1 × (G2 × G3).

Does the direct product of groups have an identity element?

Yes, the direct product of groups has an identity element. The identity element of a direct product is the tuple of identity elements from each individual group. For example, if G1 and G2 have identity elements e1 and e2 respectively, then the identity element of G1 × G2 is (e1, e2).

What is the significance of the identity element in the direct product of groups?

The identity element in the direct product of groups serves as the neutral element for the group operation. This means that when the identity element is combined with any other element in the direct product, the result is the same element. It also allows for the existence of inverse elements in the direct product, which are necessary for the group to be considered a group.

Can the direct product of groups be non-associative or have no identity element?

Yes, it is possible for the direct product of groups to be non-associative or have no identity element. This occurs when one or more of the original groups do not have an identity element or when the group operation is not associative. In these cases, the direct product may still be a valid mathematical structure, but it would not be considered a group.