Does associativity imply bijectivity in group operations?

In summary: In general, associativity does not imply bijectivity. It is possible to have a subgroup of S3 that only operates on 2 elements, which is isomorphic to S2. There is no specific concept or term for a group where the operator acts on all elements in a bijective way. If the operator is both injective and surjective, it is bijective. The relationship between the group operator on the group and the size of the generator set vs the order of the group is still being studied. The smallest order of a group must be n or greater. It is possible for a group with order |Gn| < n to
valenumr said:
By the way, when you say symmetry group, do you me the maximal (I think) order group for X?
I mean the group of all bijective functions ##X \longrightarrow X##.

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
I mean the group of all bijective functions ##X \longrightarrow X##.
Ok, I think that's in line with what I thought, basically Sn from my material.

valenumr said:
Ok, I think that's in line with what I thought, basically Sn from my material.
Eh, let me walk that back a little. I mean, I'm still working on things where group operators are essentially scalar operations. I'm not sure what to expect yet when it goes beyond that.

Stephen Tashi said:
Are you/we distinguishing between a "group operator" and a "group action"?
I thought about this for a while, because, as I've mentioned, pretty much all of the material examples I've encountered so far have been based on integers, with a sprinkling of reals, and mostly finite groups. Think like an advanced ninth grader or typical eleventh grader could probably easily handle the material.

In any case, my consideration would be a nice Persian rug I happen to own. It does have multiple symmetries, say left / right reflection, front back reflection, and top / bottom reflection.

So when I say "group operator", I'm thinking of the concept of one element of the group composed with another (single) element of the group. When you say "group action", which I expect is more appropriate, it's like rotating the carpet some multiple of pi / 2 on the floor, or maybe flipping it over. It affects the whole rug, but it is just applying the operator to every element.

I'm still trying to think about non-unitary stuff as well that might shrink my rug, for example. But I don't what to get ahead of the material.

In any case, my other comment about working with scalars is mostly a reflection. I suspect that whole "abstract" part of abstract algebra doesn't really care about the group elements or group operator, so long as the rules apply.