Finding Isomorphisms between Groups: D6, A4, S3xZ2, G

• MHB
  • Thread starter Enzipino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties in finding isomorphisms between the groups $D_6$, $A_4$, $S_3 \times \Bbb{Z}_2$, and $G$. It is mentioned that considering the order of the generators can help in disproving the existence of an isomorphism, and that looking at the multiplication table of the generators can help in finding isomorphisms.
Enzipino
I'm having a bit of problem trying to find isomorphisms between the following groups:
$D_6$, $A_4$, $S_3 \times \Bbb{Z}_2$, and $G$.
  • G is a group generated by $a, b, c$ which follow these rules: $a^2=b^2=c^3=id$ (id = identity), $ca=bc$, $cb=abc$, $ab=ba$.

I can find isomorphisms between basic $\Bbb{Z}'s$ just fine but once I get to these types of groups I come to a complete stop. I know I have to consider the order of their respective elements but I just don't know where to go after that. Could anyone help me at least start one pair?

Physics news on Phys.org
Enzipino said:
I'm having a bit of problem trying to find isomorphisms between the following groups:
$D_6$, $A_4$, $S_3 \times \Bbb{Z}_2$, and $G$.
  • G is a group generated by $a, b, c$ which follow these rules: $a^2=b^2=c^3=id$ (id = identity), $ca=bc$, $cb=abc$, $ab=ba$.

I can find isomorphisms between basic $\Bbb{Z}'s$ just fine but once I get to these types of groups I come to a complete stop. I know I have to consider the order of their respective elements but I just don't know where to go after that. Could anyone help me at least start one pair?

Hi Enzipino,

To disprove the existence of an isomorphism, an easy check is to look at the orders of the generators.
If they are different, there can't be an isomorphism.

For instance $D_6$ has a generator of order 6, while the highest order of an element in $A_4$ is 3.
Therefore there is no isomorphism.

To find isomorphisms, it's usually easiest to look at the multiplication table of just the generators.
If there is a match, we have an isomorphism.
What are the generators of your groups?

What is an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a function between two mathematical structures that preserves their structure, meaning that the two structures are essentially the same even though they may look different.

Why is finding isomorphisms between groups important?

Finding isomorphisms between groups can help mathematicians understand the relationship between different groups and identify patterns and similarities between them. It can also aid in solving problems and proving theorems in group theory.

How do I determine if two groups are isomorphic?

To determine if two groups are isomorphic, you can look for a bijective function between the two groups that preserves the group structure, meaning that it maps the group operations of one group to the corresponding operations of the other group.

What are some common techniques for finding isomorphisms between groups?

Some common techniques for finding isomorphisms between groups include finding generators and relations, constructing Cayley graphs, and using group homomorphisms and quotient groups.

How can I find isomorphisms between the groups D6, A4, S3xZ2, and G?

One way to find isomorphisms between these groups is to compare their respective structures, such as their orders, elements, and group operations. You can also look for common subgroups or use the techniques mentioned above, such as finding generators and relations or constructing Cayley graphs.