Group theory with addition, multiplication and division

In summary, the conversation discusses a binary operation on the set of real numbers and whether it satisfies the closure, associativity, and identity axioms. The participants also question if an identity element exists for this operation and provide insights on finding an example to prove that it is not associative.
penroseandpaper
Hi everyone,

I'm working through some group theory questions online. But unfortunately they don't have answers to go with them. So, I'm hoping you can say if I'm on the right track.

If this is a binary operation on ℝ, am I right in thinking it satisfies the closure and associativity axioms but fails the identity axiom because there is no value 'e' which satisfies both a+e=e and ae=a?

a•b=(a+b)/ab

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure this is defined on ##\Bbb{R}##? Then for example ##1 \cdot 0## gives division by ##0##.

Maybe, the domain is ##\Bbb{R}\setminus \{0\}##?

Also, I don't believe this is associative ..

Likes etotheipi
penroseandpaper said:
but fails the identity axiom because there is no value 'e' which satisfies both a+e=e and ae=a?
If you are learning group theory on your own, then you have got confused over the axioms. That ##e## is a mixture of the additive and multiplicative identities. You'll not find one that does both.

Math_QED said:
Are you sure this is defined on R? Then for example 1⋅0 gives division by 0.

Maybe, the domain is R∖{0}?

Also, I don't believe this is associative .

My apologies, I thought I'd included a star after ℝ for ℝ*. As for the associativity, you might be right; if I'm correct (big if)

a•(b•c)=c+b+1/a
(a•b)•c=b+a+1/c

PeroK said:
If you are learning group theory on your own, then you have got confused over the axioms. That ##e## is a mixture of the additive and multiplicative identities. You'll not find one that does both.

But isn't the fact you won't find one that does both the reason this binary operation doesn't have an identity element? Because a•e=(a+e)/(ae); if e=0 it's undefined and if e=1 it no longer equals a.

Apologies if I'm wrong - I was fine when the operations were just addition, subtraction, multiplication, etc. But can't find much about what to do when they're combined.

penroseandpaper said:
My apologies, I thought I'd included a star after ℝ for ℝ*. As for the associativity, you might be right; if I'm correct (big if)

a•(b•c)=c+b+1/a
(a•b)•c=b+a+1/c
Can you show your working? That doesn't look right at all.

Likes etotheipi and member 587159
penroseandpaper said:
But isn't the fact you won't find one that does both the reason this binary operation doesn't have an identity element? Because a•e=(a+e)/(ae); if e=0 it's undefined and if e=1 it no longer equals a.

Apologies if I'm wrong - I was fine when the operations were just addition, subtraction, multiplication, etc. But can't find much about what to do when they're combined.
On the first point you need to look for an identity without preconceptions that it can only be ##0## or ##1##.

On the second point, you focus on the binary operation as defined.

Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
Can you show your working? That doesn't look right at all.
I simplified the operation but maybe I shouldn't have.
IMG_20200920_193144.jpg

I think the problem is that 1/(1/ b + 1/c) is not equal to b+c.

Likes etotheipi and PeroK
Office_Shredder said:
I think the problem is that 1/(1/ b + 1/c) is not equal to b+c.

Thanks for pointing that out. Please find corrected solution below (hopefully...). So it's not associative as the two expressions aren't equal.

Before I go in search of something that doesn't exist, is there an identity element for an operation like this?
IMG_20200920_195253.jpg

penroseandpaper said:
Thanks for pointing that out. Please find corrected solution below (hopefully...). So it's not associative as the two expressions aren't equal.

Before I go in search of something that doesn't exist, is there an identity element for an operation like this?View attachment 269780
Yes, although technically you should show that these expressions are not equal. It may be fairly obvious, but producing an example ##a, b, c## settles the issue.

What is the algebraic requirement of an identity for this operation? It's important that you are able to write down what being an identity means. If ##e## is an identity for the ##\cdot## operation, then ##e## satisfies ...

For what it's worth, how do you know the things you wrote down aren't equal from some algebraic manipulation you haven't discovered yet? I think a proper proof that this isn't associative is to actually just pick some numbers for a b and c and see if you can get the two things to come out a different numbers (if they aren't equal, almost any choice will work).

For the identity element, the question is if there exists e such that ##\frac{a+e}{ae}=a## for all a. It's pretty simple algebra to pick a value for a and get what e needs to be. Do you get the same e for any choice of a? This is equivalent to asking if you can do algebra to eliminate a from the equation I wrote.

Likes PeroK
@penroseandpaper this is a very importnat point. Students often struggle with abstract algebra by trying to work generally, when a simple counterexample is all you need. In this case, before you did any algebraic manipulations you could have simply tried a couple of examples for ##a, b, c## to see whether the operation is associative. If this fails, even for a single example, then it is not associative. If it works for your examples, then you could try to prove the general case. So, you could have tried ##a, b , c = 1,2, 3## for example. Just to see what happens.

Also, you made a mistake in trying to simplify ##a \cdot (b \cdot c)##. You could have checked your answer by trying a simple set of ##a, b, c## to see if your simplified expression was correct.

Finally, you can do the same with the identity. If ##e## is the identity, then ##e \cdot 1 = 1, e \cdot 2 = 2, e \cdot 3 = 3 \dots##. Again, you can work out whether there is such an ##e## by trying these simple examples.

In short, don't forget that you can (and should) try things out with specific numbers to see what happens. For some reason, this is often missing from a student's approach to mathematics.

PS The operation does not satisfy the closure axiom.

Likes SammyS

1. What is group theory with addition, multiplication and division?

Group theory with addition, multiplication and division is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of groups, which are sets of elements with a binary operation (such as addition, multiplication, or division) that satisfy certain axioms.

2. What are the main axioms of group theory with addition, multiplication and division?

The main axioms of group theory include closure, associativity, identity, and inverse. Closure means that the result of performing the operation on any two elements in the group is also an element of the group. Associativity means that the order in which operations are performed does not affect the result. Identity means that there is an element in the group that, when combined with any other element, results in that element. Inverse means that for every element in the group, there is another element that, when combined with the first element, results in the identity element.

3. How is group theory with addition, multiplication and division used in science?

Group theory with addition, multiplication and division has various applications in science, including in physics, chemistry, and computer science. In physics, it is used to study the symmetries of physical systems. In chemistry, it is used to understand the structure and properties of molecules. In computer science, it is used in cryptography and coding theory.

4. Can you give an example of a group with addition, multiplication and division?

An example of a group with addition, multiplication and division is the set of rational numbers (numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers) with the operation of addition. This group satisfies all the axioms of group theory, as any two rational numbers added together will result in another rational number.

5. What is the importance of studying group theory with addition, multiplication and division?

Studying group theory with addition, multiplication and division helps us understand the fundamental properties and structures of mathematical systems. It also has practical applications in various fields, including science, engineering, and computer science. Additionally, group theory has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as abstract algebra and number theory, making it a crucial subject for mathematicians and scientists.