Group velocity and the dispersion relation

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the group velocity in relation to the phase velocity and how to determine its correctness. The formula Vg=(c/n)+0.6*c*lamda/n^2 is derived using the chain rule and substituted values, but it is noted that this is not a numerical answer. The conversation also mentions the relationship between group velocity and the speed of light in vacuum.
Kaguro
Homework Statement
Q.Light of wavelength λ (in free space) propagates through a dispersive medium with refractive index n(λ)=1.5 + 0.6λ. The group velocity of a wave travelling inside this medium in units of 10^8 m/s is
(A) 1.5 (B) 2.0 (C) 3.0 (D)4.0
Relevant Equations
Group velocity is dw/dk. And phase velocity v is w/k.
After noting w=vk and differentiating with respect to k, and lots of simplifying, I get:

Vg = c/n +(2*pi*0.6)/(k*n)

This doesn't correspond to any numerical value though...

Physics news on Phys.org
You differentiated what with respect to k?

kuruman said:
You differentiated what with respect to k?
I differentiated both sides of the equation w=vk w.r.t k

This will give me
dw/dk=v + k(dv/dk)

Group velocity is then dw/dk.
v is c/n the phase velocity..

and then I wrote k=2*pi/lamda
And substituted value of dk.

It looks like you did not apply the chain rule correctly.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
It looks like you did not apply the chain rule correctly.
Oh! That's right...

Now the value I get for group velocity is:

Vg=(c/n)+0.6*c*lamda/n^2

Is this correct?

Even so, this is not a numerical answer..

Kaguro said:
Oh! That's right...

Now the value I get for group velocity is:

Vg=(c/n)+0.6*c*lamda/n^2

Is this correct?

Even so, this is not a numerical answer..
Look at your expression. It says that group velocity is equal to phase velocity plus something greater than zero. Can the group velocity be greater than the phase velocity? How did you get your answer. Please post the details of your work.

15817913115388635755890327047965.jpg

This is my work. Sorry for not typing all this out. That would have taken me hours..

The photo is upside down. Next time please post any photos right side up. It's the considerate thing to do.

Your final expression looks algebraically correct.

Last edited:
A quick check is to remember that group velocity is related to information transfer, hence it is always less than or equal to the speed of light in vacuum. Phase velocity, on the other hand, does not convey any information and can be greater than c.

What is group velocity?

Group velocity is a measure of the speed at which a group of waves or particles move through a medium. It is different from phase velocity, which measures the speed at which individual wave crests move.

How is group velocity calculated?

Group velocity is calculated by taking the derivative of the dispersion relation with respect to the wave number. The dispersion relation is a mathematical equation that relates the frequency and wave number of a wave in a particular medium.

What is the relationship between group velocity and dispersion relation?

The group velocity is directly related to the shape of the dispersion relation. The dispersion relation can take different forms depending on the properties of the medium, and this affects the value of group velocity.

Why is group velocity important in physics?

Group velocity is important in understanding the behavior of waves in different media. It can also be used to study phenomena such as wave interference, refraction, and dispersion.

Can group velocity be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object or information can travel. Therefore, group velocity cannot exceed the speed of light.