G's Guide to GR on Banach Spaces

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Banach Gr
In summary, the textbook looks at finite dimensional linear algebra to model GR's non-linearity, but the problem is that the physical model is not easily adapted to an infinite dimensional manifold.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
OK, I started reading GR for mathematicians from Wu and Sachs.

And I see that from the start that they look on finite dimensional linear algebra, has there been any treatment for a general setting?

MP

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking if there have been formulations of GR that replace the usual 4 - dimensional pseudo riemannian manifold with infinite dimensional banach manifolds (note that the notion of a strong riemannian structure finds issue for general infinite dimensional banach manifolds)?

Yes, Rimmenain or semi-riemmanian are based on finite dimensional bases, I think. I didn't finish the textbook, I just started it.

Excuse me for spelling mistakes, haven't had a good sleep for more than two weeks...

Besides the infinite dimensionality issue mentioned by WN, the main problem is trying to model GR's non-linearity with a linear space.

Isn't the manifold that being used (3+1 hyperbolic cone) has finite dimension, i.e you need just finite dimensional linear algebra to deal with this?

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Yes, Rimmenain or semi-riemmanian are based on finite dimensional bases, I think. I didn't finish the textbook, I just started it.

Excuse me for spelling mistakes, haven't had a good sleep for more than two weeks...
Well the manifolds themselves have nothing to do with linear algebra in general. The tangent space at every point however is finite dimensional and happens to have the same dimension, as a vector space, that the manifold has as a topological manifold. There is, of course, a physical reason we choose 4 - manifolds, since we are after all modeling space - time, and it happens that Einstein's version is one of the simplest of metric theories of gravity that just happen to agree with experiment. I'm not sure how one would model GR based on an infinite dimensional Banach manifold (or even more general a Frechet manifold) and the problem is that some nice properties of the strong riemannian structure, like inducing an isomorphism between tangent and cotangent space which is taken advantage of regularly, need not carry over in general. Try taking a look at this however: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02724475?LI=true. Cheers!

1. What is the purpose of "G's Guide to GR on Banach Spaces"?

The purpose of "G's Guide to GR on Banach Spaces" is to provide a comprehensive and accessible guide to General Relativity (GR) on Banach Spaces, a mathematical framework often used in the field of physics.

2. Who is the intended audience for "G's Guide to GR on Banach Spaces"?

The guide is primarily aimed at physicists and mathematicians who have a basic understanding of GR and are interested in learning about its application on Banach Spaces. However, it can also be useful for anyone with a strong background in mathematics who is interested in learning about GR.

3. What are some key concepts covered in "G's Guide to GR on Banach Spaces"?

Some key concepts covered in the guide include the basic principles of GR, Banach spaces and their properties, the mathematical formalism of GR on Banach Spaces, and applications of this framework to various problems in physics.

4. Are there any prerequisites for understanding "G's Guide to GR on Banach Spaces"?

A strong understanding of undergraduate-level mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, is recommended for understanding the guide. Familiarity with basic concepts of general relativity, such as the equivalence principle and the Einstein field equations, is also helpful.

5. Is "G's Guide to GR on Banach Spaces" a complete resource for learning about GR on Banach Spaces?

No, the guide is intended to serve as an introductory resource and may not cover all aspects of GR on Banach Spaces. Further reading and research may be necessary for a complete understanding of this topic.