GTR & Nonlocality: Exploring the Paradox

• B
  • Thread starter Spathi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nonlocality
In summary: I'm not sure whether ADM mass as a quantity derived by integrating over a "surface at infinity" is an observable though.
Spathi
TL;DR Summary
I have heard a phrase, that the general theory of relativity supports nonlocality. This phrase is strange for me, because I always thought, that Einstein was an opponent of the quantum mechanics because of its nonlocality ("spooky action at distance"). Can you help me understand this phrase?
I have heard a phrase, that the general theory of relativity supports nonlocality. This phrase is strange for me, because I always thought, that Einstein was an opponent of the quantum mechanics because of its nonlocality ("spooky action at distance"). Can you help me understand this phrase?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where have you heard this specifically? It isn’t a common phrase. A specific reference that uses this phrase would help for context.

Likes vanhees71, Vanadium 50 and martinbn
Spathi said:
I'm not sure any of us is qualified to explain the strange voices in your head!

• Haha
Likes malawi_glenn, vanhees71 and Vanadium 50
Dale said:
Where have you heard this specifically? It isn’t a common phrase. A specific reference that uses this phrase would help for context.
I saw this phrase on some science forums.
Wikipedia says that the Alcubierre drive, which implies faster-than-light travel, is based on the Einstein field equations.

• Sad
Likes PeroK
Without an actual reference it's difficult to know, but I suspect your source of not really knowing what they're talking about. (And yes, I am aware of the irony in that statement.)

The Alcubierre metric is a spacetime with a kind of shortcut in it. All physical influences still propagate within lightcones, so there is no action at a distance in the sense that bothered Einstein.

Likes vanhees71
Spathi said:
TL;DR Summary: I have heard a phrase, that the general theory of relativity supports nonlocality. This phrase is strange for me, because I always thought, that Einstein was an opponent of the quantum mechanics because of its nonlocality ("spooky action at distance"). Can you help me understand this phrase?

This is somehow ironic. Who the heck claims this? If there is one theory, which exhausts the locality principle to the extreme, it's GR. Even the fundamental space-time Poincare symmetry is "gauged", i.e., made local. The gauge group is general diffeomorphism invariance ("general covariance").

Let's not discuss the "non-locality" of QT in this part of the forum. For that have a look at the confusing status of these ideas even 80 years after the Bohr-Einstein debate in the quantum-interpretation subforum ;-)).

Likes LittleSchwinger
Yeah, all influences in General Relativity travel within/along light-cones and cannot affect matter outside their light cone. The theory is constructed to be explicitly local, the equations are local, etc. There are no non-local effects.

The Alcubierre solution is an odd spacetime and you have to know GR for us to really get into it, but it's not "non-local".

Likes vanhees71
This is probably not what you have seen (somewhere), it is just a guess, but sometimes people say that there are non-local quantities in GR. For example mass. In general you cannot define what the mass of a part of a system is. You can for the whole space-time (under some restrictions).

I'd be very surprised, if you can define a quantity like mass which has a physical interpretation and cannot be measured by local observables.

vanhees71 said:
I'd be very surprised, if you can define a quantity like mass which has a physical interpretation and cannot be measured by local observables.
How do you measure the ADM mass locally?

I will try to formulate my request later, if I get help at other forums. Now let me ask some more questions:

1) Do you observe that pseudoscientists usually attack the GTR, but not quntum mechanics?
2) Is there a phychological effect, that people who understand GTR don't like QM (like Einstein), while people who know QM do not like GTR?

• Sad
Likes PeroK
Spathi said:
I will try to formulate my request later, if I get help at other forums. Now let me ask some more questions:

1) Do you observe that pseudoscientists usually attack the GTR, but not quntum mechanics?
No, I would say that usually the crackpots attack quantum mechanics and/or special relativity.
Spathi said:
2) Is there a phychological effect, that people who understand GTR don't like QM (like Einstein), while people who know QM do not like GTR?
I'd say most people, who understand enough of GR and QM, like both. Actually I've never heard of anyone who doesn like GR. Usually it is called the "most beautifull theory".

martinbn said:
How do you measure the ADM mass locally?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_...ndi_masses_in_asymptotically_flat_space-times

The energy-momentum tensor is a local object, from which you can form scalars at a given space-time point, which represent observables.

I'm not sure whether ADM mass as a quantity derived by integrating over a "surface at infinity" is an observable though. I guess the experts on GR in this forum know this much better than I do ;-).

It's sad when trolling proves successful on PF :frown:

Likes malawi_glenn
Where is the trolling? I think that the notion of mass/energy is a pretty subtle subject in GR, isn't it?

vanhees71 said:
Where is the trolling?
Posts #1, #4 and #11.

vanhees71 said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_...ndi_masses_in_asymptotically_flat_space-times

The energy-momentum tensor is a local object, from which you can form scalars at a given space-time point, which represent observables.
I didn't talk about energy-momentum.
vanhees71 said:
I'm not sure whether ADM mass as a quantity derived by integrating over a "surface at infinity" is an observable though. I guess the experts on GR in this forum know this much better than I do ;-).
I didn't say anything about abservables.

All i said was that mass is not licalisable and may be that is the nonlical aspect he saw in some foum being discussed.

Likes vanhees71
Spathi said:
I saw this phrase on some science forums.
This is not a reference. A reference would be, for example, a specific link to a science forum where an actual poster made this statement.

Please read the forum rules on acceptable references here. This thread is closed.

Likes dlgoff, vanhees71 and PeroK
Spathi said:

To add one comment for future reference, these questions are not on topic in this forum, since they are not about relativity.

Likes PeroK

1. What is the meaning of GTR and nonlocality?

GTR stands for General Theory of Relativity, which is a theory developed by Albert Einstein to explain gravity as a curvature of space-time. Nonlocality refers to the phenomenon where two or more particles can be connected in such a way that the state of one particle can affect the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them.

2. How does GTR relate to nonlocality?

GTR and nonlocality are both concepts that challenge our understanding of space and time. GTR suggests that space and time are not absolute, but rather intertwined and affected by the presence of matter and energy. Nonlocality, on the other hand, challenges the idea of locality, where events can only influence each other if they are in close proximity. Both concepts have implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics.

3. What are some examples of nonlocality in the natural world?

One example of nonlocality is quantum entanglement, where two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances. Another example is action-at-a-distance, where the force between two objects can be influenced by the presence of other objects, even if they are not in direct contact.

4. How does the paradox of GTR and nonlocality challenge our current understanding of physics?

The paradox of GTR and nonlocality challenges our current understanding of physics by suggesting that there may be connections and influences between objects and events that are not explained by our current theories. It also raises questions about the nature of space and time, and whether they are truly separate entities or intertwined in some way.

5. What are some potential implications of GTR and nonlocality for future scientific research?

The concepts of GTR and nonlocality have the potential to open up new avenues of research in physics and other related fields. They could help us better understand the nature of gravity and the universe, and potentially lead to the development of new technologies. They also challenge scientists to think outside the box and question our current understanding of the laws of physics.