GTR & STR: Could 9 Dimensions Unify Theory?

• I
  • Thread starter eaglechief
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Manifold
In summary, the concept of 9 dimensions has been proposed as a potential unifying theory for GTR and STR. This theory suggests that by adding an additional dimension to the existing 4 dimensions of spacetime, inconsistencies between the two theories could be resolved. However, there is currently no concrete evidence to support this idea and it remains a topic of debate among scientists. Further research and experiments are needed to fully understand the potential of 9 dimensions as a unifying theory.
eaglechief
TL;DR Summary
I try to understand if the GTR could work together with theories, where physical reality contains more than 4d
Let's play pretend a progressive alien civilisation contacts us and an irrelevant conversation begins. Later on, an alien-scientist says: "by the way, the physical reality contains 9 dimensions. I heard a famous human theorist announced, that it should be 4. You have to touch up."

Could the GTR (and STR) be imbedded in a higher grade manifold of grade 5 or even higher instantly or does the boundary condition, that "real spacetime" has 5+ dimensions mean, that GTR/STR are no more meaningful ?

Thanks in advance
Carlo

Physics news on Phys.org
eaglechief said:
Summary:: I try to understand if the GTR could work together with theories, where physical reality contains more than 4d

Let's play pretend a progressive alien civilisation contacts us and an irrelevant conversation begins. Later on, an alien-scientist says: "by the way, the physical reality contains 9 dimensions. I heard a famous human theorist announced, that it should be 4. You have to touch up."

Could the GTR (and STR) be imbedded in a higher grade manifold of grade 5 or even higher instantly or does the boundary condition, that "real spacetime" has 5+ dimensions mean, that GTR/STR are no more meaningful ?
At the "I" thread level: What difference could it possibly make? Embedded or not, the world we live in is what it is. GTR is an apt description.

At a higher level, a quick trip to Google says that yes, one can embed a 4 dimensional pseudo-Riemannian manifold in a higher dimensional manifold in a metric-preserving way.

https://mathoverflow.net/questions/127734/nash-embedding-theorems-for-pseudo-riemannian-manifolds.

[Though this stuff is well above my head].

Likes vanhees71, eaglechief and dextercioby
There are many embedding theorems which describe how lower dimensional curved spaces may be embedded into higher dimensional flat spaces. They make no physical predictions so they are usually not worth the effort, but they can be used if desired for aesthetic reasons.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and eaglechief
Thank you for your replies.

My question is heading in that direction: Given we accept as hypothetic boundary condition, that the physical reality contains of say 9 dimensions. Then my assupmtion would be, that STR and GTR are limited in describing the "entire" physical truth, due to it is written in 4d.

As far as i recall modern string-theories deal with 7d, 8d, 9d, ... strings.

So, could STR and GTR describe a 9d reality at all ?

Cheers
Carlo

I don’t think that 9 dimensions is sufficient. Are you really interested specifically in 9 dimensions or was that just a random number used as an example?

See: On the Global Isometric Embedding of Pseudo-Riemannian Manifolds
C. J. S. Clarke
Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series A, Mathematical and Physical Sciences
Vol. 314, No. 1518 (Jan. 13, 1970), pp. 417-428 (12 pages)
Published By: Royal Society

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
After post #4 it isn't clear what the question is. Are you asking about imbedings in the mathematical sense? Or are you asking whether space-time is actually higher dimensional and we only see 4 of the dimensions and how GR handles this?

Thanks for your replies.
dave: 9d was just a random number.
martin: this >> Or are you asking whether space-time is actually higher dimensional and we only see 4 of the dimensions and how GR handles this?

1. What is the difference between GTR and STR?

GTR (General Theory of Relativity) is a theory that explains gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. STR (Special Theory of Relativity) is a theory that explains the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the speed of an object.

2. How do GTR and STR relate to the concept of 9 dimensions?

GTR and STR do not directly relate to the concept of 9 dimensions. However, some theories, such as string theory, suggest that there may be 9 spatial dimensions in addition to the 3 dimensions we experience in our everyday lives.

3. Can GTR and STR be unified in a theory with 9 dimensions?

It is currently a topic of debate and research in the scientific community whether GTR and STR can be unified in a theory with 9 dimensions. Some theories, such as M-theory, attempt to unify these two theories with additional dimensions.

4. How would 9 dimensions impact our understanding of the universe?

If there are indeed 9 dimensions, it would greatly impact our understanding of the universe. It could potentially explain phenomena that cannot be explained by our current understanding of the universe, such as dark matter and dark energy.

5. Is there any evidence to support the existence of 9 dimensions?

Currently, there is no direct evidence to support the existence of 9 dimensions. However, some theories, such as string theory, suggest the possibility of additional dimensions. Further research and experiments are needed to provide evidence for or against the existence of 9 dimensions.