Guessing cards: is 3 for 3 more improbable than 3 for 4?

• Thread starter bahamagreen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cards
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of 3 for 3 and 3 for 4, which refer to guessing the first, second, and third cards of a deck without trying a fourth time, or guessing correctly on the first three cards but missing the fourth. The conversation also mentions a formula for calculating the probability of guessing multiple cards in a row, and the speaker shares their personal experience of being asked to guess cards and their intuition about the probability of guessing correctly. They also ask for help in understanding the calculation process and whether the use of the "|" symbol indicates that the calculation must be done without replacement.
bahamagreen
3 for 3 means guessing the first, second, and third cards of a pack without trying a fourth time... and 3 for 4 means guessing the first, second, and third correctly, but trying and missing the fourth. I think both are conditional (dependent) without replacement.

I see a form for 2 guesses that reads p(a and b) = p(a) x p(b|a) where the "and" means "and then",

I suppose for 3 guess it would be:

p(a and b and c) = p(a) x p(b|a) x p(c|b|a)

I'm not sure how to interpret the "|" symbol arithmetically... is it just a reminder that the actual calculation must be without replacement?

The story... A long time ago someone grabbed a deck of cards and asked me to guess the first one. Amazingly I guessed right, and then guessed correctly the second and the third. She wanted to pull a fourth card, but intuitively I felt that guessing three out of three was more improbable than guessing three out of four if I missed the last one, so I declined and said let's stay with the improbability of just three tries...

Recalling this event, I decided to check if my intuition was right, but am a bit confused on the calculation... and it may be that the calculation is additionally complicated by the guesser being allowed to halt the series of card guesses whenever he wants - another aspect of conditional dependent?

Any help on untangling the process to get a calculation is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume guesses are completely uninformed, with no hints or indicators available.

The probability of guessing 3 out of 3 is ##\frac{1}{52}\cdot\frac{1}{51}\cdot\frac{1}{50}=7.5\times 10^{-6}##

The probability of guessing 4 out of 4 is ##\frac{1}{52}\cdot\frac{1}{51}\cdot\frac{1}{50}\cdot\frac{1}{49}=1.5\times 10^{-7}##

The probability of guessing 3 out of 4, with the fourth guess being wrong, is ##\frac{1}{52}\cdot\frac{1}{51}\cdot\frac{1}{50}\cdot\frac{48}{49}=7.4\times 10^{-6}##, which is slightly less than the probability of 3 out of 3. Naturally, the first probability is equal to the sum of the next two.

bahamagreen said:
I'm not sure how to interpret the "|" symbol arithmetically... is it just a reminder that the actual calculation must be without replacement?
It means more than that in general. But in this case, where the only dependence between successive guesses is the absence of previously drawn cards, your interpretation works fine.

1. Is it more likely to guess 3 out of 3 cards correctly than 3 out of 4 cards?

No, it is not more likely to guess 3 out of 3 cards correctly than 3 out of 4 cards. Each card has an equal probability of being guessed correctly, so the likelihood of guessing 3 out of 3 or 3 out of 4 is the same.

2. What is the probability of guessing 3 out of 3 cards correctly?

The probability of guessing 3 out of 3 cards correctly is the same as guessing any other specific combination of 3 out of the total number of cards. For example, if there are 52 cards in the deck, the probability would be 1 out of 22,100.

3. How does the number of cards in the deck affect the probability of guessing correctly?

The number of cards in the deck does not affect the probability of guessing correctly. Each card has an equal probability of being guessed correctly, regardless of the total number of cards in the deck.

4. Is it more impressive to guess 3 out of 3 cards correctly than 3 out of 4 cards?

This is subjective and depends on individual opinions. Some may find it more impressive to guess 3 out of 3 cards correctly, while others may find it more impressive to guess 3 out of 4 cards correctly.

5. Are there any strategies or techniques that can increase the probability of guessing cards correctly?

There are no guaranteed strategies or techniques that can increase the probability of guessing cards correctly. However, some people may use techniques such as counting cards or observing patterns in the deck to try to improve their guessing accuracy.