Guidance for research in Photonics

In summary: Photonics. It's a broad field, and you need to narrow down the research field you want to pursue in your future career and since you are already in MSc you better already have a rough sketch of your career by the end of your first semester, as following this point in time you will likely be engaged in lab projects. That's a good chance to get to know what you are expected to have if you want to pursue your career path in the research field you are working on.In summary, if you want to pursue research in Photonics, you should start narrowing down the research field you want to work in by the end of your first semester.
C.R.Santosh
Hi, I am in my first year of M.Sc. in physics. I want to pursue a research in Photonics after my Post-Graduation. i am really passionate about Physics and research... but unfortunately there is nobody to guide me in the proper way... i want to pursue research in Photonics in some of the top universities of the world... can someone guide me please...

Physics news on Phys.org
Photonics alone is a broad field, you need to narrow down the research field you want to pursue in your future career and since you are already in MSc you better already have a rough sketch of your career by the end of your first semester, as following this point in time you will likely be engaged in lab projects. That's a good chance to get to know what you are expected to have if you want to pursue your career path in the research field you are working on.

C.R.Santosh said:
Hi, I am in my first year of M.Sc. in physics. I want to pursue a research in Photonics after my Post-Graduation. i am really passionate about Physics and research... but unfortunately there is nobody to guide me in the proper way... i want to pursue research in Photonics in some of the top universities of the world... can someone guide me please...

Back up a bit because there are at least a couple of issues here that you have not elaborated on which I found to be puzzling.

1. What does it mean by "... unfortunately there is nobody to guide me in the proper way... "? Presumably, you are enrolled in a school that will give you the knowledge in "photonics". And also, presumably, there are active work going on in that area at your institution. So why can't you find someone to give you this guidance?

2. What do you actually mean when you say "... i want to pursue research in Photonics in some of the top universities of the world..."? My first inclination is that you want to be a faculty member at one of these universities, and along with your teaching/academic responsibilities, you also want to carry research in this area. Is this correct? If it is, then you are looking for an academic position at a university. Most universities, unless you go to a purely undergraduate, liberal, or community colleges, will automatically assume that you will be pursuing research work. In fact, that is almost required for you to gain tenure here in the US.

3. Will you not be happy, and will you consider your life to be meaningless, if you get to do photonics work but not at a "top university of the world"? Will you turn away a job opportunity at a private company?

Zz.

thank you ZapperZ... Surely it will not be the end of the road if i don't get into a top university... I am wanting to do a PhD in some top university as my first choice...though backup options are available... My M.Sc. course has a specialization paper in Photonics... But can you giv me some idea about what it is to do research abroad or what should i do to prepare myself in order to seek admissions in some top universities...

C.R.Santosh said:
thank you ZapperZ... Surely it will not be the end of the road if i don't get into a top university... I am wanting to do a PhD in some top university as my first choice...though backup options are available... My M.Sc. course has a specialization paper in Photonics... But can you giv me some idea about what it is to do research abroad or what should i do to prepare myself in order to seek admissions in some top universities...

Sometime, you need to step back, and look at your post. Put yourself in the position of another member, who could really be in ANY part of the world. So look at your post again, and tell me if you think the word "abroad" is not vague. Where is "abroad", since you had never clarified where you are in the first place?

Secondly, you didn't really answer my first question in my earlier post. If your school do have someone doing photonics, why don't you consider that you have no one go guide you in this?

Thirdly, if you are thinking of doing your PhD abroad, then your issue here is to get admission FIRST, rather than worrying about how to research work. This isn't trivial. And I hope you are aware that in the US (if the US is "abroad" for you), admission to PhD programs requires only an undergraduate degree. A MSc degree is not required.

Please read my essay on "So You Want To Be A Physicist".

Zz.

From what you describe about what you want in the first post, I can tell that you are not very well acquainted yet with the world of colleges, especially in your desired branch of physics. "Top universities" do not necessarily sit at the upper part of the college ranking in all fields of science. In fact, this is the case for photonics. Colleges or schools with research highlight in photonics often are not in the top ten of the university ranking (I'm referring to QS University Ranking), not even among the best for physics, for instance have you heard about the University of Central Florida or the University of Southampton? They might be relatively renowned among their own nationals, but not too often within foreign people's hearing. Those two universities currently host two of the best photonics school in the world: http://www.creol.ucf.edu/ and http://www.orc.soton.ac.uk/
There are of course many others optics and photonics schools standing under the name of a university which you may never heard people referring them as "top universities".
http://www.optics.rochester.edu/
http://www.optics.arizona.edu/
http://ksop.idschools.kit.edu/
and still many others.

Likes C.R.Santosh
blue_leaf77 said:
From what you describe about what you want in the first post, I can tell that you are not very well acquainted yet with the world of colleges, especially in your desired branch of physics. "Top universities" do not necessarily sit at the upper part of the college ranking in all fields of science. In fact, this is the case for photonics. Colleges or schools with research highlight in photonics often are not in the top ten of the university ranking (I'm referring to QS University Ranking), not even among the best for physics, for instance have you heard about the University of Central Florida or the University of Southampton? They might be relatively renowned among their own nationals, but not too often within foreign people's hearing. Those two universities currently host two of the best photonics school in the world: http://www.creol.ucf.edu/ and http://www.orc.soton.ac.uk/
There are of course many others optics and photonics schools standing under the name of a university which you may never heard people referring them as "top universities".
http://www.optics.rochester.edu/
http://www.optics.arizona.edu/
http://ksop.idschools.kit.edu/
and still many others.
Thank you so much!

Related to Guidance for research in Photonics

1. What is photonics?

Photonics is a branch of science and technology that deals with the study and manipulation of light. It involves the use of photons, the fundamental particles of light, to create, transmit, and detect information. Photonics has a broad range of applications, including telecommunications, medical imaging, and solar energy.

2. How can photonics be used in research?

Photonics can be used in research to develop new technologies, improve existing ones, and gain a deeper understanding of the behavior of light. Researchers in photonics may work on designing and testing new optical devices, exploring the properties of different materials, or studying the interaction of light with matter.

3. What are some important considerations when conducting research in photonics?

Some important considerations when conducting research in photonics include selecting appropriate materials and techniques, ensuring accurate measurements and data analysis, and following ethical guidelines for experimentation. Researchers should also stay up-to-date on the latest advancements in the field and collaborate with other experts to achieve their research goals.

4. What are some common challenges in photonics research?

Common challenges in photonics research include the complexity of light and its interactions with matter, the need for specialized equipment and facilities, and the high cost of materials and components. Researchers may also face difficulties in achieving reproducibility and reliability of results, as well as navigating the constantly evolving field of photonics.

5. What are some current areas of research in photonics?

Current areas of research in photonics include developing new photonic devices and materials, improving optical communication and data storage technologies, and exploring the use of light in medical diagnostics and treatments. Other areas of interest include solar energy conversion, quantum photonics, and biophotonics for studying biological processes.