Guitar Quality: Comparing Identical Guitars

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether two identical guitars played by two different people will produce notes of the same quality. The expert explains that the term "quality" can refer to many factors such as timbre, relative amplitude of harmonics, and envelope. They also mention that factors like the player's technique, instrument setup, and even clothing can affect the sound. Thus, even if the pitch and amplitude are the same, the timbre may still differ. The expert concludes that while pitch and amplitude can be measured, the detailed shape of the waveform and the subjective quality of sound cannot be quantified and are unique to each individual sound.
Nemika
It's a very simple question but still,
When two identical guitars are played day two persons to give notes of the same pitch, will they differ in quality?
Please specify with reason.
Thanks for the replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure this will differ. The pitch just tells you which note is played; there are lots of other variables that affect how we perceive the sound (relative amplitude of harmonics, amplitude, duration, envelope etc).
Hence, if by "quality" you mean the spectra as a function of time (i.e. a spectrogram) then the answer is yes.

As an extreme example just compare the sound of an open and palm-muted string, the pitch is the same but they sound very different.

Note that the same is true for all analogue instruments, you can change the sound of a e.g. piano quite a bit depending on how you play it.

Likes billy_joule
Nemika said:
It's a very simple question but still,
When two identical guitars are played day two persons to give notes of the same pitch, will they differ in quality?
Please specify with reason.
Thanks for the replies.
Any musical instrument is a very complex structure. So are instrumentalists. They will pluck the strings at different distances from the bridge (altering the harmonic content) and with different force and velocity. The stopping finger can be pressing hard or sofltly and the finger pads can greatly affect the damping (just try an experiment where you stop hard or soft / right behind the fret wire or well behind it. If a barre is being played, the strength of the hands can make a big difference to the damping of the string. Then the tension can be altered by the stopping finger (not only when pulling the note) and can brighten a note by raising the pitch fractionally. I have noticed that the dynamics of the stopping finger can make a difference to the sustain; it's easy to kill a note by removing the finger too soon, ready for the next note. Many jazz guitarists seem to release between notes (that's part of the 'jazz sound'), even when there is no chord change whereas others get more continuous sounds by keeping the pressure. The action makes a difference to what you can actually achieve, here. A high action can be very hard work, which some players can cope with and others not. They many never fully depress the string. In an acoustic guitar, the arms and body can damp differently, depending on how the guitar is held or the clothing.
I am sure there will be other factors that I haven't thought of. But, strangely (?) a good player always seems to make a nicer sound than a beginner- and certainly better than I can.

By saying quality I meant timbre.
And if amplitude and frequency is same does that mean timbre will be same if the sound is played on identical instruments?

Nemika said:
By saying quality I meant timbre.
And if amplitude and frequency is same does that mean timbre will be same if the sound is played on identical instruments?
My last post gives a list of reasons why notes may not sound the same from player to player. i.e. Timbre will be different - and even pitch, in subtle ways. The player can make at least as much difference as you get between instruments of the same quality / price group. Of course, a really duffer guitar will probably never sound nice but a £1000 instrument can be made to sound terrible by some people.

OK, one last time
What if the same person plays the same notes on both these instruments (without any human error) will they differ.
I mean is there any property other than pitch and amplitude due to which quality (timber) of sound will be different.

Nemika said:
I mean is there any property other than pitch and amplitude
Yes, absolutely. A single pure tone (sinusoid) is the only note that will sound the same as another of the same pitch. All instruments have harmonics and also the attack and decay / sustain will affect the sound. Pitch and amplitude are easy quantities to measure and describe but the detailed shape of the waveform is pretty well impossible to quantify - except in very broad terms. Reading reviews of instruments (as with hi fi and radio reviews) is full of BS phrases and the occasional meaningful one where the writer has tried to describe the sound. If you google terms like stringed instrument waveforms then you will find images and soundbytes. You have used the term "timbre" and that is used to cover all that stuff, plus all the other expressions like "bright", "toppy", "dead", "groovy", which are only qualitatitve and mean different things to different people. Perhaps my reply could be summed up by "Yes but you can't measure it reliably"
Cheers.

It is very importantwhat materialthe stringswere made

HunterThomson said:
It is very importantwhat materialthe stringswere made
I said already the guitars were identical so the material of the strings would also be same.

Nemika said:
if the same person plays the same notes on both these instruments (without any human error) will they differ.
If everything is identical then why should they? You are changing the rules here.
Different people will make different sounds on the same guitar and one person will make different sounds on two identical guitars.
I am not sure where you are wanting to go with this any more - except to establish that 'timbre' is something extra, on top of pitch and amplitude.

sophiecentaur said:
Different people will make different sounds on the same guitar and one person will make different sounds on two identical guitars.

OK let's forget about any guitars.
If there are two sounds with same frequency and same pitch and everything else is also same then their timbre also has to be same if they are being produced from identical sources or same source.
Or else every single sound produced in this universe is unique.

"Identical" means identical but two real sounds will differ by a finite amount. That's the same for all quantities, applied to all things.

Likes Nemika

1. What factors should I consider when comparing identical guitars for quality?

When comparing identical guitars for quality, some important factors to consider include the materials used, craftsmanship, playability, sound quality, and overall durability.

2. How do I determine the materials used in a guitar and how it affects quality?

You can determine the materials used in a guitar by looking at the specifications or asking the manufacturer. Generally, higher quality materials such as solid wood will produce a better sound and have a longer lifespan compared to cheaper materials like laminates.

3. What role does craftsmanship play in the quality of a guitar?

Craftsmanship is crucial in determining the quality of a guitar. A well-crafted guitar will have smoother edges, better fretwork, and more precise tuning, resulting in better playability and sound.

4. How can I test the playability of an identical guitar?

The best way to test playability is by actually playing the guitar. Pay attention to the action (distance between the strings and fretboard), the feel of the neck, and the overall comfort and ease of playing. A guitar with good playability will feel comfortable and responsive.

5. Is sound quality the most important factor in determining guitar quality?

While sound quality is important, it is not the only factor in determining the overall quality of a guitar. Factors such as materials, craftsmanship, and playability also play a significant role in determining the quality and value of a guitar.