Gullstrand-Painleve/Doran articles with bad Latex?

In summary, the conversation discusses several posts with Latex errors and the appropriate way to address them. The broken equations are fixed and the conversation also mentions using these equations.
m4r35n357
I've been intrigued for some time by the following posts, but they all have lots of Latex errors (at least for me, Firefox/Linux).
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=580
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=590
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=855
Can anyone confirm they are broken before I make an idiot of myself in a PM, and in any case is it appropriate to PM for this sort of thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I see a lot of broken Latex with FireFox

[tex]
\begin{flalign}
dt\,+\,\frac{\beta}{1-\beta^2}\,dr&=&d\bar{t}&=& &d\breve{t}-\,\frac{1}{1+\beta}\,dr\\[6mm]
d\phi\,+\,\frac{\beta}{1-\beta^2}\,\frac{a}{(r^2+a^2)}\,dr&=&d\bar{\phi}&=& &d\breve{\phi}\,-\,\frac{1}{1+\beta}\,\frac{a}{(r^2+a^2)}\,dr
\end{flalign}
[/tex]
This is it fixed.
[tex]
\begin{align}
dt\,+\,\frac{\beta}{1-\beta^2}\,dr&=d\bar{t}= d\breve{t}-\,\frac{1}{1+\beta}\,dr\\
d\phi\,+\,\frac{\beta}{1-\beta^2}\,\frac{a}{(r^2+a^2)}\,dr &= d\bar{\phi}= d\breve{\phi}\,-\,\frac{1}{1+\beta}\,\frac{a}{(r^2+a^2)}\,dr
\end{align}
[/tex]

Mentz114 said:
I see a lot of broken Latex with FireFox
This is it fixed.
[tex]
\begin{align}
dt\,+\,\frac{\beta}{1-\beta^2}\,dr&=d\bar{t}= d\breve{t}-\,\frac{1}{1+\beta}\,dr\\
d\phi\,+\,\frac{\beta}{1-\beta^2}\,\frac{a}{(r^2+a^2)}\,dr &= d\bar{\phi}= d\breve{\phi}\,-\,\frac{1}{1+\beta}\,\frac{a}{(r^2+a^2)}\,dr
\end{align}
[/tex]
Heh, I am already using those equations, they seem to work just fine ;) I just wanted to see how he puts it all together, it sounded interesting, and not too far above my level. BTW it looks just as broken in Chrome.

1. What is the Gullstrand-Painleve/Doran method?

The Gullstrand-Painleve/Doran method is a mathematical technique used in general relativity to study the behavior of spacetime near a rotating massive object, such as a black hole.

2. How does the Gullstrand-Painleve/Doran method differ from other methods in general relativity?

The Gullstrand-Painleve/Doran method uses a different coordinate system than other methods, allowing for a more intuitive understanding of the effects of rotation on spacetime.

3. What are some common applications of the Gullstrand-Painleve/Doran method?

The Gullstrand-Painleve/Doran method is often used to study the behavior of rotating black holes, as well as other astrophysical phenomena involving strong gravitational fields.

4. What are some limitations of the Gullstrand-Painleve/Doran method?

The Gullstrand-Painleve/Doran method is based on simplifying assumptions and may not accurately capture all aspects of a real-world scenario. It also requires a high level of mathematical proficiency to apply effectively.

5. How can I ensure that my Gullstrand-Painleve/Doran articles have good Latex formatting?

To ensure good Latex formatting in your Gullstrand-Painleve/Doran articles, it is important to carefully follow the guidelines and instructions provided by the journal or publication you are submitting to. It may also be helpful to seek feedback from colleagues or a professional editor before submitting your article. Additionally, regularly checking for and addressing any errors or formatting issues can help improve the overall quality of your Latex formatting.