Gyro stabilized two-wheeled toy : Why the gimbal?

• B
  • Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gyro
In summary, the toy will not stay upright if the gimbal and rotation axis are not present. Without the gimbal, the board may tilt sideways and then the gyro will try to correct this by tilting forward or backward.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
Will this toy stay upright if we get rid of the gimbal and fix the gyro's rotation axis w.r.t. the chassis?

Physics news on Phys.org
The way they have it, any tendency to tilt is resisted by the gyroscope, which freely rotates on the gimble. If you remove the gimble, a tendency of the board to tilt sideways creates a desire for the gyro to tilt forward or backward. That is then resisted by the fixed platform that the gyro is on and the resistance force makes the gyro want to tilt sideways. So the gyroscopic stabilization is defeated.

A simple experiment shows what happens. If you hold a gyro in your hands and try to tilt it, you feel the resistance to that tilt (initial tilt) and a desire of the gyro to tilt in another direction (secondary tilt). But if you brace the gyro so that it's desire for the secondary tilt is stopped, you will not feel any unusual resistance to your initial tilting. It would feel as though the gyro is not spinning at all.

Last edited:
FactChecker said:
But if you brace the gyro so that it's desire for the secondary tilt is stopped, you will not feel any unusual resistance to your initial tilting. It would feel as though the gyro is not spinning at all.

I'm finding it hard to visualize that, and I don't remember noticing it when I last played with a bicycle wheel gyro (which was a long time ago, admittedly).

I'll think about it a bit more and get back.

Thanks.

I'm beginning to get it -- I think -- based on adding the vector angular momentum that the new constraint would try to produce, on top of the original angular momentum of the spinning gyro. When we add the extra constraining torque, the resultant shows that the whole thing would tend to tip over.

Likes FactChecker and scottdave
This may help. Especially the demo at 3:09

Likes Swamp Thing and scottdave
Swamp Thing said:
I'm beginning to get it -- I think -- based on adding the vector angular momentum that the new constraint would try to produce, on top of the original angular momentum of the spinning gyro. When we add the extra constraining torque, the resultant shows that the whole thing would tend to tip over.
Yes. I have a gyro where the gimbal can be braced against a table to prevent any lateral turning. When I push it forward, the desire to rotate laterally is exactly opposed by a force from the table. It feels like it is not a rotating gyro at all -- just rotating forward with no unusual opposition.

1. Why is a gimbal necessary for a gyro stabilized two-wheeled toy?

A gimbal is necessary for a gyro stabilized two-wheeled toy because it allows for the toy to maintain its balance and stability while in motion. The gimbal acts as a pivot point, allowing the toy to move freely in any direction while keeping the center of gravity balanced.

2. What is the purpose of the gyro in a gyro stabilized two-wheeled toy?

The gyro in a gyro stabilized two-wheeled toy is responsible for detecting any changes in the toy's orientation and sending signals to the motor to adjust accordingly. This helps the toy maintain its balance and prevents it from tipping over.

3. How does the gimbal work in a gyro stabilized two-wheeled toy?

The gimbal in a gyro stabilized two-wheeled toy works by using a series of rotating rings and pivots to keep the toy balanced. As the toy moves, the gimbal adjusts and rotates to maintain the center of gravity, keeping the toy stable and upright.

4. Can a gyro stabilized two-wheeled toy function without a gimbal?

No, a gyro stabilized two-wheeled toy cannot function without a gimbal. The gimbal is an essential component that allows the toy to maintain its balance and stability while in motion. Without a gimbal, the toy would be unable to adjust to changes in orientation and would likely tip over.

5. Are there different types of gimbals used in gyro stabilized two-wheeled toys?

Yes, there are different types of gimbals used in gyro stabilized two-wheeled toys. Some toys may use mechanical gimbals, which use physical pivots and rings, while others may use electronic gimbals, which use sensors and motors to adjust and maintain balance. The type of gimbal used may depend on the specific design and function of the toy.