Gyroscopic Precession: Understanding the Physics

In summary, the speaker is discussing the concept of torque and angular momentum in relation to a rotating wheel. They explain that when the wheel is spun faster, the lever from the wheel to the pivot will be less likely to be slanted. However, the speaker is unsure why the wheel will still "fall" if it is not spinning fast enough. They also provide a link to an archived video for further explanation.
TimeRip496
I was watching this and I get it that when you rotate the wheel, the torque due to its weight will cause it to revolve parallel to the ground instead of perpendicular to the ground. I know that the faster you spin the wheel, the less likely the lever from the wheel to the pivot will be slanted. What I can't figure out is why will it be slanted? I mean the torque(perpendicular to the angular momentum of the rotating wheel) due to the weight of the wheel will change the angular momentum of the rotating wheel to its direction but I see no reason for the wheel to still "fall" if it is not spin fast enough.

Source:

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is gyroscopic precession?

Gyroscopic precession is a phenomenon that occurs when a spinning object, such as a gyroscope, experiences a change in its orientation in response to an external force. This change in orientation is perpendicular to both the direction of the force and the axis of rotation of the spinning object.

2. How does gyroscopic precession work?

Gyroscopic precession is governed by the principles of angular momentum and torque. The spinning object's angular momentum remains constant, so when an external force is applied, the object will rotate around its center of mass in order to maintain its angular momentum.

3. What are some real-world applications of gyroscopic precession?

Gyroscopes are commonly used in navigation systems, such as in airplanes and ships, to maintain orientation and stability. They are also used in gyrocompasses, gyroscopic stabilization systems, and in some toys and recreational devices.

4. How does gyroscopic precession relate to the stability of bicycles and motorcycles?

Gyroscopic precession plays a role in the stability of bicycles and motorcycles by helping to keep them upright. As the wheels spin, they create angular momentum that resists any changes in orientation, making it easier for the rider to maintain balance.

5. Can gyroscopic precession be used to create artificial gravity?

Yes, gyroscopic precession has been studied as a potential solution for creating artificial gravity in space. By rotating a spacecraft or space station, the centrifugal force created can simulate the effects of gravity. However, this method has not been implemented on a large scale due to technical and financial limitations.