Hair Canada's question at Yahoo Answers (Constant series)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hair Series
In summary, the series $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}a_n$ is convergent only when $c=0$, as the partial sums diverge to positive or negative infinity when $c$ is non-zero.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

no matter what value I put for n, i keep getting c. So my best guess is that this is a diverging sequence?

Here is a link to the question:

Math: Is a_n = c diverging or converging? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Hair Canada,

The series is $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}a_n=\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}c$. This means that the mth partial sum is $S_m=a_1+a_2+\ldots+a_m=mc$ so, $$S=\lim_{m\to \infty}S_m=\lim_{m\to +\infty}mc=\left \{ \begin{matrix}{ +\infty}&\mbox{ if }& c>0\\-\infty & \mbox{if}& c<0\\0 & \mbox{if}& c=0\end{matrix} \right.$$ As a consequence the series is convergent if and only if $c=0$.

1. What is the Constant series in regards to Hair Canada's question?

The Constant series in Hair Canada's question refers to a series of experiments or data collection that is conducted in a consistent and standardized manner. This allows for accurate comparisons and analysis of the data collected.

2. What is the purpose of the Constant series in this context?

The purpose of the Constant series is to gather reliable and consistent data on a specific topic. In the case of Hair Canada's question, it is likely related to hair care or hair products.

3. How is the Constant series different from other types of experiments or data collection methods?

The Constant series differs from other types of experiments because it focuses on maintaining a constant variable or factor throughout the entire process. This helps eliminate any potential confounding variables that could affect the results.

4. Why is the Constant series important in scientific research?

The Constant series is important in scientific research because it allows for accurate and reliable data collection and analysis. It also helps to ensure that any conclusions drawn from the data are valid and not influenced by external factors.

5. Can the Constant series be applied to other areas of scientific research?

Yes, the Constant series can be applied to various areas of scientific research. It is commonly used in experiments and studies related to medicine, psychology, and environmental science. It is a widely accepted method of data collection in the scientific community.