How Do You Balance Zinc and Nitrate in a Basic Solution?

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation is about balancing a chemical equation in a basic solution and determining the coefficients for the reactants and products. The person is seeking an explanation for the process and the answer to check their work. They realize their mistake of labeling hydrogen as a negative ion in the reduction reaction.
KingNothing
I don't understand this question in my chemistry book. It's not homework, I'm just studying, but I would really like to know.

What are the coefficients in front of nitrate ion and zinc when the following equation is balanced in a basic solution:

___ NO3-(aq) + ___ Zn(s) --> ___ Zn2+(aq) + ___ NO(g)?

1) 2, 5
2) 2, 3
3) 3, 4
4) 3, 2

That's the nitrate ion, zinc, zinc with a 2+ charge, and NO. Can someone explain how to do this? Also, what is the answer, so I can work backwards?

So far, it looks to me like both reactants are being oxidised, so I'm left with a big half-reaction with electrons.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, I finally got it! As it turns out, my error the whole time was labeling H as a negative ion in my reduction reaction.

A half-reaction in chemistry is a representation of either the oxidation or reduction process that occurs in a chemical reaction. In this case, the half-reaction being referred to is the oxidation of zinc to zinc ions.

To balance the given equation in a basic solution, you must first identify the atoms that are being oxidized and reduced. In this case, zinc is being oxidized and nitrate ion is being reduced.

To balance the atoms in the half-reaction, you must add the appropriate coefficients in front of each species. In this case, the coefficients in front of nitrate ion and zinc are 2 and 5, respectively.

The balanced half-reaction would be: 2NO3-(aq) + 5Zn(s) --> 5Zn2+(aq) + 2NO(g)

To balance the overall equation, you must also add the same number of electrons to both sides of the equation. In this case, 10 electrons are added to the left side to balance the charge. The final balanced equation in basic solution is:

2NO3-(aq) + 5Zn(s) + 10OH-(aq) --> 5Zn2+(aq) + 2NO(g) + 5H2O(l)

The answer to the question would be option 1) 2, 5. Working backwards, you can see that the coefficients in front of nitrate ion and zinc are 2 and 5, respectively, when the equation is balanced in a basic solution.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept of half-reactions and how to balance equations in basic solution. Remember to always identify the atoms being oxidized and reduced and add the appropriate coefficients to balance the atoms and charge.

What is a half-reaction in chemistry?

A half-reaction in chemistry is a part of a redox reaction that involves either the loss or gain of electrons by a specific species. It is written as either an oxidation or reduction reaction, and when combined, the two half-reactions make up the complete redox reaction.

What is the purpose of writing half-reactions in chemistry?

The purpose of writing half-reactions is to track the transfer of electrons and determine the changes in oxidation states of the species involved in a redox reaction. This allows for a better understanding of the overall reaction and its components.

How do you balance a half-reaction?

To balance a half-reaction, you must first ensure that the number of atoms of each element on both sides of the equation is equal. Then, balance the charges by adding or removing electrons. Finally, balance the oxygen and hydrogen atoms by adding water and hydrogen ions, respectively.

What is the difference between an oxidation and reduction half-reaction?

An oxidation half-reaction involves the loss of electrons by a species, while a reduction half-reaction involves the gain of electrons by a species. Oxidation half-reactions have a positive charge, while reduction half-reactions have a negative charge. They must be combined to form a balanced redox reaction.

When is it necessary to use half-reactions in chemistry?

Half-reactions are used in chemistry when studying redox reactions, which involve the transfer of electrons between species. They are also useful for balancing equations and determining the oxidation states of species involved in a reaction.