Question about this unusual galvanic bath

user_18041984
Hello dear forum members.
I've run into some problem and I'm hoping someone here can give me a hint on how to solve it.

There is an electrochemical method for separating some binary metal alloys based on the cementation phenomenon. I'll show you how it works with the example of separatting brass.

So, in figure A we have an anode made of zinc-copper alloy (1). The cathode (2) is made of zinc. The electrodes are in a solution of zinc sulfate, voltage is applied to them. The solution formed at the anode, containing copper ions and zinc ions, is pumped out by a pump into the cementator (3), which is a container filled with metallic zinc in the form of shavings or pieces. Since copper has a more electropositive potential, contact deposition of copper occurs in the cementator according to the reaction Cu2+ + Zn = Cu + Zn2+. The solution, freed from copper ions and containing only zinc ions, is fed into the cathode region, where only zinc is deposited on the cathode.

But, if the bath is assembled in this form, then the possibility is not ruled out that copper ions will enter the cathode region directly, bypassing the cementator. Then the cathodic zinc will be contaminated with copper.
Before me is the task of assembling such a bath in practice. In order to exclude direct contact of the anode solution with the cathode, I thought to introduce partitions (4) into the bath, as in Figure B. But then I realized that with these partitions, the electrical resistance of the bath and the power consumption will greatly increase. As a result, in order to provide the required current strength, I will have to apply a huge voltage and it will heat up, which is not good.

To be honest, I'm at a dead end. There are no partitions - there is mixing; there are partitions - there is resistance. Can anyone advise on the correct practical design of this bathtub?
IMG_20230813_214449.jpg

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Your image is illegible. Please upload a better quality image. Thank you.

Likes Bystander
Here is what I could get without too much work:
_PF-user18041984.png

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Hello Berkeman. I would still put this question in another section of the forum. The question is not about chemistry. The question is connected with the ratio of electrical resistance and the correct circulation of the liquid.

Your main problem is the effectiveness of the cementator. You want the solution containing Cu2+ to be in contact with the highest possible zinc surface and for the longest time, as these will maximize copper recovery. No changes to the galvanic chamber will change that.

Borek said:
Your main problem is the effectiveness of the cementator. You want the solution containing Cu2+ to be in contact with the highest possible zinc surface and for the longest time, as these will maximize copper recovery. No changes to the galvanic chamber will change that.
Thank you. This moment, of course, also matters. But for me there is no difficulty here - I understand that the cementator must have a large surface area, it must be long and so on. This is much easier for me to deal with. Now the question is how to properly make the bath itself in order to prevent the solution from getting from the anode to the cathode directly through this bath, bypassing the cementator.
So far, I see one option that I described above, but it will greatly raise the resistance of the system.

1. What is a galvanic bath?

A galvanic bath is a type of electrotherapy treatment that uses direct current to stimulate the body's tissues and cells. It is often used for pain relief, muscle relaxation, and improving circulation.

2. How does a galvanic bath work?

During a galvanic bath, the body is submerged in a tub of water that is charged with a low-voltage direct current. The current flows through the body, causing muscles to contract and relax, which can help relieve tension and improve circulation.

3. What are the benefits of a galvanic bath?

Some potential benefits of a galvanic bath include pain relief, muscle relaxation, improved circulation, and reduced inflammation. It may also have a calming effect on the nervous system and can be used for certain skin conditions.

4. Are there any risks or side effects of a galvanic bath?

While a galvanic bath is generally considered safe, there are some potential risks and side effects. These may include skin irritation, burns, or electric shock if the equipment is not used properly. It is important to consult with a professional and follow safety precautions when using a galvanic bath.

5. How often should a galvanic bath be used?

The frequency of galvanic bath treatments may vary depending on the individual's needs and the specific condition being treated. It is important to follow the recommendations of a healthcare professional and not exceed the recommended usage guidelines to avoid potential risks or side effects.