Hall Effect and Drift Velocity

In summary, the problem involves a thin metal film being used to measure the Hall effect. A current of 2.60 A is maintained along the length of the sample, and a Hall voltage of 16.0 microVolts is detected when a magnetic field of 2.00 Tesla is applied. The task is to calculate the drift velocity of the charge carriers. The attempted solution involves using two equations, but the answer obtained is incorrect.
Staple Gun

Homework Statement

A thin metal film of length 1.00 cm, width of 0.250 cm, and thickness of 29.0 micrometers is used to measure the Hall effect. A current of 2.60 A is maintained along the length of the sample. The Hall voltage of 16.0 microVolts is detected across its width, when a magnetic field of 2.00 Tesla is applied normal to the film.
Calculate the drift velocity of the charge carriers.

Homework Equations

Vh = IB/ned
I=neAVd

Vh = Hall Voltage
Vd = Drift Velocity
I = Current
B = Magnetic Field
n = Number of electrons
e = Charge of particle
A = area
d = Thickness of film

The Attempt at a Solution

Using equation 1 I got n = IB/Vhed
Then I plugged that into equation 2 and solved for Vd but this answer is incorrect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The drift velocity is what makes the magnetic field, so I think the equation should be:

q Vh *width = q Vd B

So Vd = Vh * width/B

Using that equation I got Vd = 16e-6 * 0.0025 / 2.00 = 2.00e-8 m/s

This answer was incorrect though.

1. What is the Hall Effect?

The Hall Effect is a phenomenon in which a voltage difference is created across a conductor or semiconductor when a magnetic field is applied perpendicular to the direction of current flow.

2. How is the Hall Effect used in scientific research?

The Hall Effect is commonly used in materials science and physics research to study the electronic properties of materials, such as their conductivity, carrier concentration, and mobility. It is also used in the development of electronic devices, such as sensors and transistors.

3. What is drift velocity?

Drift velocity is the average velocity of charged particles, such as electrons, in a material when an electric field is applied. It is determined by the strength of the electric field and the material's properties, such as its conductivity and carrier concentration.

4. How is drift velocity related to the Hall Effect?

The Hall Effect can be used to measure the drift velocity of charged particles in a material. By applying a magnetic field and measuring the resulting voltage, the drift velocity can be calculated using the material's properties and the known relationship between current, magnetic field, and voltage.

5. What are the practical applications of Hall Effect and drift velocity?

The Hall Effect and drift velocity have many practical applications, including in the development of electronic devices such as sensors, transistors, and computer memory. They are also used in scientific research to study the properties of materials and understand the behavior of charged particles in various environments.