Hall Effect: Electric Field Direction at Equilibrium

In summary, the Hall Effect is a phenomenon in which a magnetic field applied perpendicular to a current-carrying conductor causes a voltage difference to appear across the conductor. This is due to the Lorentz force, which deflects charge carriers and creates an electric field perpendicular to the current and magnetic field. The magnitude of the Hall voltage is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, current density, and type and concentration of charge carriers. The Hall Effect has practical applications in sensors, electronic devices, and materials research.
Evilavatar2
I have a good understanding on the hall effect. However, I was told by my tutor that the electric field direction at equilibrium remains pointing in the negative side of the conducting material and the force it generated is canceled out. But further reading online text, the electric field doesn't even exist and the direction at equilibrium is negligible or non-existance. My qns is who is right here and is there even a direction the electric field is pointing at equilibrium??

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the online text?

1. What is the Hall Effect?

The Hall Effect is a phenomenon in which a magnetic field applied perpendicular to a current-carrying conductor causes a voltage difference to appear across the conductor, perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field.

2. How does the Hall Effect work?

The Hall Effect works by the Lorentz force, which states that a charged particle moving through a magnetic field experiences a force perpendicular to both its direction of motion and the direction of the magnetic field. This force causes the charge carriers in a current-carrying conductor to be deflected, creating a voltage difference across the conductor.

3. What is the electric field direction at equilibrium in the Hall Effect?

At equilibrium, the electric field is directed perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field. This is known as the Hall field and is responsible for the voltage difference across the conductor in the Hall Effect.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of the Hall voltage in the Hall Effect?

The magnitude of the Hall voltage is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the current density, and the type and concentration of charge carriers in the conductor.

5. What are some practical applications of the Hall Effect?

The Hall Effect has many practical applications, including in magnetic field sensors, current sensors, and velocity sensors. It is also used in electronic devices such as computer hard drives and in the study of materials' electronic properties.