Hands-on Engineering: Is it Possible in High School?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter supernova1203
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, an engineer can be hands on and involved in the building process, or they can sit behind a desk and design things.
supernova1203
I'm in high school, getting good grades, i enjoy studying physics and mathematics (to a lesser degree chemistry)

I want to go into engineering, but as i understand it most engineers now days end up stuck behind a desk.(or working in finance/wallstreet/software)

I want to know if you can be an engineer and be out in the field, and be hands on as well. or is that not possible?

For instance, an aerospace engineer, designs a plane, but he's not actually building the plane, the skilled tradesmen(aircraft maintenance engineers, electricians, mechanics, technicians and the like) and laborers are the ones doing the actual building

Would it be possible for an engineer to do the building as well? To be directly involved in the building...

I would derive a great deal of satisfaction to actually be part of the building process, and see a finished result, and know that i had something to contribute...

Physics news on Phys.org
Not really. Unless you are in a start up, and working on something small, your time as an engineer is not worth wasting on turning bolts and pouring concrete. Not to mention you'd lack the practical experience that the tradesmen would have. If you want quality, you need people focused on their part.

However, there are many engineering jobs (depends on the company) which have field engineers who work with those people doing the work to make sure it goes well/correctly. I used to work at an aluminum smelter and my office was on-site. I spent about 50% of my time in the plant, and oversaw construction a good deal of the time, too. You obviously have some time behind a desk: it's engineering. But depending on the company and the type of work you are doing, you can see loads of field work as an engineer in almost any field (ie. mech, electrical, chemical, etc).

Besides, there's just as much satisfaction being part of the design and oversight of a project as there is in turning the nuts and welding the seams.

30 years ago I felt the way you did. Technician work is often looked down upon by many engineers. What they don't realize is that such work can teach you an awful lot about what mistakes the engineers make.

I started off as an electronics bench technician. I later became a field technician. I learned a great many things that most engineers do not know about the real world.

Frankly, electronics engineers who do not know how to trigger a scope properly, how to solder, how to evaluate a filter, how to decouple a power supply, --they have my utter contempt.

I have also met many engineers who didn't understand why you couldn't bolt a venturi metering section of pipe right to a butterfly valve.

Field work is essential to becoming a good engineer. We need to rub the noses of these cubicle commandos in the real world, to keep them from making stupid mistakes.

I'm sick and tired of seeing the same old mistakes over and over again. The mistakes I make will at least be novel and unusual. That's all anyone can ask for.

So while I can't suggest a field of engineering where you can swing a wrench, I do recommend spending a few years as a technician. It will be a huge eye opener.

JakeBrodskyPE said:
30 years ago I felt the way you did. Technician work is often looked down upon by many engineers. What they don't realize is that such work can teach you an awful lot about what mistakes the engineers make.

I started off as an electronics bench technician. I later became a field technician. I learned a great many things that most engineers do not know about the real world.

Frankly, electronics engineers who do not know how to trigger a scope properly, how to solder, how to evaluate a filter, how to decouple a power supply, --they have my utter contempt.

I have also met many engineers who didn't understand why you couldn't bolt a venturi metering section of pipe right to a butterfly valve.

Field work is essential to becoming a good engineer. We need to rub the noses of these cubicle commandos in the real world, to keep them from making stupid mistakes.

I'm sick and tired of seeing the same old mistakes over and over again. The mistakes I make will at least be novel and unusual. That's all anyone can ask for.

So while I can't suggest a field of engineering where you can swing a wrench, I do recommend spending a few years as a technician. It will be a huge eye opener.

Well either that, or i could just be involved in a lot of field work, either way, i already am a technician :) I did a few courses a while back and got involved with some work

I can understand your desire to have a hands-on experience in engineering. In high school, it is definitely possible to gain some hands-on experience in engineering through various activities and projects. However, it may not be possible to have a completely hands-on engineering experience in high school due to safety regulations and the complexity of engineering projects.

In college and in the workforce, engineers are often involved in both the design and construction of projects. However, the level of involvement in the physical building process may vary depending on the specific engineering field and job role. For example, a civil engineer may be more involved in the construction of a bridge, while a software engineer may not have any physical building responsibilities.

It is important to note that being a successful engineer requires a combination of both theoretical and practical skills. While hands-on experience is valuable, it is also crucial to have a strong understanding of physics, mathematics, and other sciences in order to design and troubleshoot complex projects.

In terms of your interest in aerospace engineering, it is possible for engineers to be involved in both design and construction of aircraft. However, it is also important to recognize and appreciate the contributions of skilled tradesmen and laborers in the building process.

In conclusion, while it may not be possible to have a completely hands-on engineering experience in high school, there are opportunities to gain practical skills and experience through projects and activities. In higher education and in the workforce, engineers can have a combination of design and construction responsibilities, but it is important to have a strong foundation in theoretical knowledge as well.

Related to Hands-on Engineering: Is it Possible in High School?

1. What is hands-on engineering?

Hands-on engineering is a teaching method that involves students actively participating in engineering projects and experiments, rather than just learning through lectures and textbooks.

2. Is hands-on engineering possible in high school?

Yes, hands-on engineering is definitely possible in high school. In fact, many high schools now offer engineering courses and clubs that allow students to get hands-on experience with various engineering concepts and tools.

3. What are the benefits of hands-on engineering in high school?

Hands-on engineering in high school can provide several benefits, including increased engagement and interest in STEM subjects, development of critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and preparation for future studies and careers in engineering.

4. How can high schools incorporate hands-on engineering into their curriculum?

High schools can incorporate hands-on engineering into their curriculum by offering dedicated engineering courses, incorporating engineering projects and experiments into existing science and math classes, and participating in engineering competitions and clubs.

5. Are there any challenges to implementing hands-on engineering in high school?

Some challenges to implementing hands-on engineering in high school may include limited resources and funding, lack of trained teachers in engineering subjects, and balancing hands-on activities with traditional classroom instruction. However, these challenges can be overcome with proper planning and support from school administrators and the community.