Happy Belated Birthday FrancisZ

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: Francis.In summary, FrancisZ was born a few days ago, and had a great day. He thanks everyone for the birthday wishes, and says that he has been working on instructional videos. He also confesses that he sometimes has to tone down his accent when he talks to people. He has good news for anyone who listens--he has been offered a publishing job!
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Happy Belated Birthday FrancisZ!1111

I remember your birthday was a few days ago when the forum was under attack and I couldn't make you a birthday thread.

So, Happy Belated Birthday Francis!

Physics news on Phys.org

Happy Birthday Francis, I hope it was a great day for you :smile:!

Haaaapy birthday, Haaaaaaaaapy birthday , happyhappyhappyhappy daaaaaay. :biggrin:

Happy Birthday!

Happy Belated Birthday, Francis!

Hope you had a wonderful birthday!

Happy Birthday FrancisZ!

Evo said:
I remember your birthday was a few days ago when the forum was under attack and I couldn't make you a birthday thread.

So, Happy Belated Birthday Francis!

As always, my thanks Boss Lady! : ) And thanks to everyone for the warm wishes. It is always much appreciated. :redface:

By the way, I have a little confession to make everyone--I've been cheating on the Forum! No, in all seriousness: I've been looking to solicit work from maybe a publishing company; so I've been working on making instructional Youtube videos since my last job ended.

And now, for some shameless self-promotion!

Love Math, Hands, and can't get enough Francis, you say? :biggrin: When then look no further: to YouFrancis Channel!...http://www.youtube.com/youfrancis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MhGrbOHbTY

Criticisms welcome of course.

I love it Francis!

Heh, good stuff man!

Thanks both. I have to admit though: I really can't stand my own voice on recordings. It feels a little "synthetic" somehow; having to make a conscious effort, just to suppress some of my natural tendencies. :redface:

For some reason, people seem to think I'm from Boston a lot. Anyway, I guess this (*points to self*) is what you get when you cross a Brooklyn accent with a Jersey accent. Absolute horror!

FrancisZ said:
Thanks both. I have to admit though: I really can't stand my own voice on recordings. It feels a little "synthetic" somehow; having to make a conscious effort, just to suppress some of my natural tendencies. :redface:

For some reason, people seem to think I'm from Boston a lot. Anyway, I guess this (*points to self*) is what you get when you cross a Brooklyn accent with a Jersey accent. Absolute horror!

Wow... that is one hell of an accent I bet!

Still, what kind of recordings? A lot of resonance and higher tones are killed in compression, or by dictaphones and cheap microphones. You may not have an accurate view of your voice.

nismaratwork said:
Wow... that is one hell of an accent I bet!

Still, what kind of recordings? A lot of resonance and higher tones are killed in compression, or by dictaphones and cheap microphones. You may not have an accurate view of your voice.

Again, you are too kind. :smile: Anyway, I probably can't blame the device too much (though I'd like to try).

I really admire someone that can teach. I don't have the gift, I figure if I know it, anyone should know it. It takes a special person to see things from the perspective of someone that doesn't know yet.

Francis, you have a great voice.

Happy Birthday, Francis!

I think your video is excellent. If you'll allow me to offer a small suggestion, though; the green marker is a touch too light. There wasn't anything that I absolutely couldn't read, but for future videos, I think a darker color would be better. :wink: Other than that, there's nothing wrong with your voice or presentation. Excellent job! :smile:

Happy belated!

Good luck with the videos... they look REALLY nice (sound off here since family is sleeping). I envy your handwriting. And it's so organized in format... a lot of thought went into that.Publishing companies are into that kinda stuff nowadays (as long as you can find a text to collaborate with... that seems to be the sticky spot, they want to attach videos to an online version of a book, and that'll require an author that's open to it and doesn't want to do it himself).

Do you have any publishing-house connections? (Fortunately I was just asked to review some online materials for a book that I would like to collaborate with... we'll see if that can blossom into more.) Let us know how it goes!

Other random thought as I'm up in the early morning hours (hunger set in and woke me): Ever think about generating a website (or working with one) that might give you online ad revenue? I'm totally unfamiliar here, I'll admit.

Evo said:
I really admire someone that can teach. I don't have the gift, I figure if I know it, anyone should know it. It takes a special person to see things from the perspective of someone that doesn't know yet.

Francis, you have a great voice.
"Aye fuhgeddaboutit!" :blushing: I guess I just have to remember to tone it down sometimes (the kids were really mean when I first moved to Old Bridge).

Anyway, thanks Evo; I really do appreciate that.
Dembadon said:
Happy Birthday, Francis!

I think your video is excellent. If you'll allow me to offer a small suggestion, though; the green marker is a touch too light. There wasn't anything that I absolutely couldn't read, but for future videos, I think a darker color would be better. :wink: Other than that, there's nothing wrong with your voice or presentation. Excellent job! :smile:
No, I absolutely agree. I've been having to evolve a lot of things, as I go along. I prefer to use multicolor in general, because I find it easier for students to follow me visually (i.e. they don't get "lost" in the monotony of monochrome). And so, usually, as a habit: the most important points, I try to write in red. Blue is sort of a "subtitle" of that; and green and black I tend to use interchangeably for doing examples.

Will try to get a darker green. And thank you for the advice!
physics girl phd said:
Happy belated!

Good luck with the videos... they look REALLY nice (sound off here since family is sleeping). I envy your handwriting. And it's so organized in format... a lot of thought went into that.
Thank you! :smile:
physics girl phd said:
Publishing companies are into that kinda stuff nowadays (as long as you can find a text to collaborate with... that seems to be the sticky spot, they want to attach videos to an online version of a book, and that'll require an author that's open to it and doesn't want to do it himself).
Personally, I like the concept of "online materials" and other tech. But even still: I think that a lot of teachers, principals, superintendents, and really anyone potentially involved in education these days, just like to throw the word "technology" around; and then call it a day. It really doesn't appear very strategic, a lot of times. And I really don't respect the notion of throwing out "old-fashioned" means that still work well.

I for one, absolutely loved my smart board, for say something like graphing functions. But still loved my simple overhead projector, even more so; just because it also allowed me to keep an eye on the class while writing. It is also a more comfortable position to write on a flat horizontal surface. So I've used both, where necessary.

Actually, in a single class, I regularly incorporated my blackboards, overhead, and smart board. But, as a teacher: your boss somehow never seems to appreciate that, unfortunately. They just want you to "use that $5000 smart board I got you!" even though it just isn't good for everything.

Somewhat ironically, I've found it even very limiting at times: either because of it's location in the room; the fact that it's only 5 feet wide (and scrolling obscures part of what you've written--which isn't very good for illustrating lengthy derivations); or that it has to be re-calibrated every time some knucklehead messes with the camera and/or board itself. The boards on wheels are the absolute worst!
physics girl phd said:
Do you have any publishing-house connections? (Fortunately I was just asked to review some online materials for a book that I would like to collaborate with... we'll see if that can blossom into more.) Let us know how it goes!
Honestly, I don't. But I certainly wouldn't shy away from it. Beggars can't be choosers! :redface:
physics girl phd said:
Other random thought as I'm up in the early morning hours (hunger set in and woke me): Ever think about generating a website (or working with one) that might give you online ad revenue? I'm totally unfamiliar here, I'll admit.
Well, truthfully, that's sort of why I got into Youtube. I've heard that if you get a strong enough following, that Google might consider supporting your channel.

And I figured, even if it never goes anywhere: (1) it still satisfies a basic desire in me, to communicate mathematics, to anyone whose interested; and (2) it also allows me to exercise my artistic bend. Frankly, I enjoy learning and doing things creatively; and so I've sort of taught myself how to make and edit videos at least (even if they aren't for anything professional).

Some day, certainly, I will be dead; but maybe these things will still be here to help, long after I am gone. Honestly, I can't imagine people tripping over themselves on Youtube, just to learn math; but it seems a noble usage of the medium.

Anyway, I try to make the intros amusing--just to suck people in! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

HBBD FrancisZ :)

drizzle said:
HBBD FrancisZ :)

Why thank you Driz. :smile:

By the way: I honestly like your signature at the bottom إقرأ(Google says "read;" is that correct?).

Happy birthday!

That's right FrancisZ, and thanks, I like it too :biggrin:

waht said:
Happy birthday!

Thank you "Dubbya!" :wink:

FrancisZ said:
Thank you "Dubbya!" :wink:

I'm running that on a supercomputing node trying to determine what it means. It might take like 42 years, will see.

waht said:
I'm running that on a supercomputing node trying to determine what it means. It might take like 42 years, will see.

Your name is "what;" although you have intentionally misspelled it (I've assumed possibly for humorous effect). Anyway, I couldn't bring myself to reply, intentionally propagating incorrect spelling; that violates one of my own personal prime directives (I went into convulsions even!). :biggrin:

I did seriously however, try a whole bunch of combinations--because I like to include a persons name and/or identity in a response. Seeing as how you were nice enough to remember me on my birthday, I figured I might as well live up to acknowledging you in return, respectfully.

In the end, I settled on "W." And, adding my own somewhat ironic sense of humor, I changed it to phonetic sounding "double-u" with a Texas accent (hence: "dubbya!").

So, in retrospect: lot of thought actually went into my reply (believe it or not); even as short as it was. So take it or leave, friend.

Surely, you are smarter than Watson, no? ; )

*Necropost: 2053 AD, pi day.

Simulation results: Higher order perturbations of the semantic mobile structure eventually lead to too many infinities. Shor's algorithm cannot be implemented. Possible match "Ei4yad", uncertainty 98%.

What is a belated birthday?

A belated birthday is when someone wishes you a happy birthday after the actual date of your birthday has passed. It is usually used when someone forgets to wish you on your actual birthday or when they are unable to do so for some reason.

Why do people say "Happy Belated Birthday"?

People say "Happy Belated Birthday" as a way to apologize for not wishing someone on their actual birthday or to make up for not being able to celebrate with them on their special day. It is a way to show that they still care and are thinking of the person.

Is it okay to say "Happy Belated Birthday"?

Yes, it is okay to say "Happy Belated Birthday" as it is a common phrase used to express good wishes for someone's birthday. It is better to wish someone late than not at all.

How do I apologize for wishing someone a belated birthday?

You can apologize for wishing someone a belated birthday by simply saying "I'm sorry for wishing you a belated birthday. I hope you had a great day." You can also make it up to them by doing something special for them or celebrating their birthday later on.

What are some alternative ways to say "Happy Belated Birthday"?

Some alternative ways to say "Happy Belated Birthday" are "Sorry I missed your birthday", "Belated happy birthday", or "Better late than never". You can also use creative phrases like "Happy delayed celebrations" or "Fashionably late birthday wishes".