Hard Kirchoff's Laws problem with batteries & resistors....

In summary, Kirchhoff's laws were used to solve a problem involving current and voltage in a circuit. KVL was used to write equations for the loops in the circuit, and KCL was used to solve the simultaneous equations.
Joe03

Homework Statement

WIN_20161127_14_09_18_Pro.jpg

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff;s first and second law, V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried the question as follows:
V= 24/(2+6+4)
= 24/12 = 2V (pd from top cell)
then did 2=4 I3
therefore I3 = 0.5A
and then 2 = 6I2
I2 = 0.33A
and I1 = 0.5+0.33...
=0.83A?

Physics news on Phys.org
Joe03 said:

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff;s first and second law, V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried the question as follows:
V= 24/(2+6+4)
= 24/12 = 2V (pd from top cell)
Which circuit law(s) did you employ for the above? How do you justify summing the resistances in that fashio? Are they really all in series?
then did 2=4 I3
therefore I3 = 0.5A
and then 2 = 6I2
I2 = 0.33A
and I1 = 0.5+0.33...
=0.83A?
Your solution doesn't take into account the effects that the second voltage source will have on the currents in the circuit.

Start again, writing KCL and KVL equations for the circuit: Identify the nodes where KCL applies, and loops where you will apply KVL, then write the equations for them.

I actually don't know where to begin...
I tried to use V=E-Ir so did 24-2I1=4I3, 27-6I2=4I3 so 6I2-2I1=3?
Can you start me off on the correct path, bit derailed.

Joe03 said:
I actually don't know where to begin...
I tried to use V=E-Ir so did 24-2I1=4I3, 27-6I2=4I3 so 6I2-2I1=3?
Can you start me off on the correct path, bit derailed.

Those equations are correct, but you've got only two that originate from the circuit. The other is derived from those two, so doesn't provide any new information. Since you have three unknowns (I1, I2, and I3) you need three equations that originate in the circuit. These can come from KVL loop equations or KCL node equations or a combination of both.

Note that once the loops you've chosen have incorporated each component at least once, there's no new information that you can extract by writing more KVL loop equations. Then you must turn to KCL to supply any "new" relationships between the variables.

To work consistently you should set up a basic procedure to follow:
1. Identify the nodes and loops.
2. Label each component on the diagram with the potential drop expected from given current directions.
3. Write KVL for appropriate loops.
4. Write KCL at appropriate nodes.
5. Solve the simultaneous equations by whatever method you're comfortable with.

After that is done you can start to solve the simultaneous equations.

When writing KVL and KCL equations, it's often less prone to making sign errors if you write them as a sum of terms that sums to zero. That is, place all the terms on the left hand side and make the right hand size zero. When done this way you can write your KVL equations simply by taking a "KVL walk" around the loop from any starting point, ending back at the starting point. Just write down the potential rises and drops as you encounter them on the walk.

So your first equation, for example could be obtained by "walking" counterclockwise around the outer loop of the circuit starting from the negative terminal of the 24 V battery:
upload_2016-11-27_13-26-29.png

##+24 - 4 I_3 - 2 I_1 = 0##

Likes CWatters
So far I have
24-4I3-2I1=0
27-4I3+6I2=0
and 24-27-6I2-2I1=0

cant seem to get any further my calculations keep saying things like -1.5+I2=-1.5+I2

Joe03 said:
So far I have
24-4I3-2I1=0
27-4I3+6I2=0
and 24-27-6I2-2I1=0

cant seem to get any further my calculations keep saying things like -1.5+I2=-1.5+I2
Then perhaps you missed this paragraph in my previous post:
gneill said:
Note that once the loops you've chosen have incorporated each component at least once, there's no new information that you can extract by writing more KVL loop equations. Then you must turn to KCL to supply any "new" relationships between the variables.
Your third equation above only goes over previously covered ground in the circuit.

i solved them to get I1=3A,
I2=-1.5A
I3=4.5A

Joe03 said:
i solved them to get I1=3A,
I2=-1.5A
I3=4.5A
Looks good.

Thanks for your help by the way have 7 more questions like this, will be more manageable now

1. What is Kirchhoff's Laws and how are they used in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's Laws are a set of fundamental principles that govern the behavior of electrical circuits. They are used to analyze complex circuits involving multiple batteries and resistors.

2. What is the difference between Kirchhoff's Current Law and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law?

Kirchhoff's Current Law states that the sum of currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving the node. Kirchhoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit must equal the sum of voltage sources in the loop.

3. How do batteries and resistors affect the application of Kirchhoff's Laws?

Batteries are sources of voltage in a circuit, and resistors are components that limit the flow of current. These elements must be taken into account when applying Kirchhoff's Laws, as they can affect the overall current and voltage in a circuit.

4. What happens if Kirchhoff's Laws are not satisfied in a circuit analysis?

If Kirchhoff's Laws are not satisfied in a circuit analysis, it indicates an error in the analysis or an inconsistency in the circuit itself. This could be due to incorrect assumptions or measurements, or a faulty circuit design.

5. Can Kirchhoff's Laws be applied to any type of circuit?

Yes, Kirchhoff's Laws can be applied to any type of circuit, as long as it follows the basic principles of electrical circuitry. This includes circuits with multiple batteries and resistors, as well as more complex circuits with capacitors and inductors.