Hard Physics Problem on Forces

In summary: What is the result?Now apply ƩF = ma to the vertical and horizontal components. What is the result?The result is that the watch is accelerated upwards by 9.5 meters per second and downwards by 14 degrees.
asheik234
Frensley_Forces_Horizontal_006.gif
1. Homework Statement
An airplane begins its takeoff sequence moving with a constant acceleration a. A passenger holds up a pocketwatch during the takeoff sequence and notices that the watch makes an angle θ = 14° with the vertical, and that 13.3 seconds pass before the plane leaves the runway.

(a) What is the plane's constant acceleration?(b) How far does the plane travel on the runway?2. Homework Equations

F = ma

3. The Attempt at a Solution

There is no given mass, I don't know how to find it without it.

Physics news on Phys.org
asheik234 said:
There is no given mass, I don't know how to find it without it.
Just call the mass 'm'. You won't need the actual value.

Doc Al said:
Just call the mass 'm'. You won't need the actual value.

can you explain how?

asheik234 said:
can you explain how?
Apply Newton's 2nd law. What forces act on the pocketwatch? Analyze horizontal and vertical force components separately.

Doc Al said:
Apply Newton's 2nd law. What forces act on the pocketwatch? Analyze horizontal and vertical force components separately.

I tried but still nothing, the vertical component is mg and the horizontal one is 9.5m(mg*cos14), am I missing something?

asheik234 said:
I tried but still nothing, the vertical component is mg and the horizontal one is 9.5m(mg*cos14), am I missing something?
First things first. What forces act on the watch? (There are two forces acting: Name them.)

Doc Al said:
First things first. What forces act on the watch? (There are two forces acting: Name them.)

Force tension and force weight

asheik234 said:
Force tension and force weight
Excellent. What are the horizontal and vertical components of each force? (The weight is mg; call the tension force "T".)

Doc Al said:
Excellent. What are the horizontal and vertical components of each force? (The weight is mg; call the tension force "T".)

Components of force weight:
horizontal component: 0
vertical component: mg

Components of force tension:
horizontal component: mg*cos14

asheik234 said:
Components of force weight:
horizontal component: 0
Good. (The vertical component acts down.)

Components of force tension:
horizontal component: mg*cos14
No. (The vertical component will end up equal to mg, but you'll get to that in the next step.)

The tension force is T. It acts parallel to the chain of the watch. What are its components?

Doc Al said:
Good. (The vertical component acts down.)

No. (The vertical component will end up equal to mg, but you'll get to that in the next step.)

The tension force is T. It acts parallel to the chain of the watch. What are its components?

horizontal component: T * sin14

asheik234 said:
horizontal component: T * sin14
Good.

But I would have preferred:
Horizontal: T*sin14
Vertical: T*cos14

Nice and simple.

Now apply ƩF = ma to the vertical and horizontal components.

1. What is a force in physics?

A force is a push or pull that causes an object to change its state of motion or shape. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you must add all the forces acting on an object together. This includes both the magnitude and direction of each force. The resulting vector is the net force acting on the object.

3. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue to move in a straight line at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How does force affect motion?

Force affects motion by changing an object's velocity. If an object is at rest, a force can cause it to start moving. If an object is already in motion, a force can change its speed or direction of motion.

5. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms, while weight is measured in newtons. The mass of an object does not change, but its weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity at different locations.