Harder Uv Source For Lithography

In summary: I worry about fluorescence and how effective the lithography will be. Is it better to try a shorter wavelength? How about a synchrotron?
Enthalpy
Hello semiconductor technologists!

I'm thinking at a source of extreme UV for semiconductor lithography, so what would be your wishes, as compared to the first figures that emerge from my rantings?

I take 30nm wavelength. Would less be better? I fear fluorescence hampers lithography.

Right now I estimate half a watt of light is produced, continuous and monochromatic and coherent, initially in a narrow beam of small divergence. Could that be enough?

This absolute silver bullet would cost several millions. Is that any worry?

Thanks!
Marc Schaefer, aka Enthalpy

Engineering news on Phys.org
Enthalpy said:

I'm thinking at a source of extreme UV for semiconductor lithography, so what would be your wishes, as compared to the first figures that emerge from my rantings?

I take 30nm wavelength. Would less be better? I fear fluorescence hampers lithography.

Right now I estimate half a watt of light is produced, continuous and monochromatic and coherent, initially in a narrow beam of small divergence. Could that be enough?

Thanks!

I don't think your post translated very well. Is this question for your work, where you are putting together an IC fabrication line? Or are you thinking of putting together a small IC fabrication setup as a hobby (and have the several million dollars to spend on it)?

Enthalpy said:

Thanks!

The technical bottleneck in practice isn't the light source. The bottlenecks are the lens and the OPC patterning of the masks. Besides, the trend is increased reticle size so a narrow beam isn't necessarily a good thing.

If you really want a silver bullet (and we're talking pie-in-the-sky anyway) you should invent a much faster e-beam lithography technique.

Or, figure out an OPC algorithm that doesn't require a supercomputer to calculate in a reasonable time.

Thank you!

The light source isn't the bottleneck? I thought channels 22nm long were patterned with excimer lasers at 193nm wavelength or a bit less, and this fundamentally unhealthy situation puts stress on the lenses. Shorter waves shall ease this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excimer_laser#Major_applications
corresponds to what I read here and there.

A narrow beam is easily broadened.

Enthalpy said:
Thank you!

The light source isn't the bottleneck? I thought channels 22nm long were patterned with excimer lasers at 193nm wavelength or a bit less, and this fundamentally unhealthy situation puts stress on the lenses. Shorter waves shall ease this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excimer_laser#Major_applications
corresponds to what I read here and there.

A narrow beam is easily broadened.

Nope. Not the bottleneck. Of course all aspects of the system need to be improved but the killers are the lens and the OPC. Right now it takes something like a CPU-century to calculate OPC for a typical mask.

Ask someone else for the computer. It boils down to assembling many Cpu or Gpu, I'm not that interested.

The lens is difficult because the half-wave is too big for the small pattern features. This also leads to shorter and shorter waves, and fiddlings like double exposure, but no progress has been made since the excimer lasers, and indeed IC shrink ever slower.

Such things tell a lot about the present cost and power of light sources:
http://www.cymer.com/XLR600ix/
it doesn't look cheap neither, but it produces 90W at 193nm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enthalpy said:
Ask someone else for the computer. It boils down to assembling many Cpu or Gpu, I'm not that interested.

The lens is difficult because the half-wave is too big for the small pattern features. This also leads to shorter and shorter waves, and fiddlings like double exposure, but no progress has been made since the excimer lasers, and indeed IC shrink ever slower.

Such things tell a lot about the present cost and power of light sources:
http://www.cymer.com/XLR600ix/
it doesn't look cheap neither, but it produces 90W at 193nm.

Well, I would say that it boils down to improving the algorithms, since if you shrink down the process the compute problems grows faster than our ability to assemble gpu clusters.

True, a shorter wavelength UV source would relax requirements on the lens, but would also require retooling the whole system. Could work, though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Found some answers.

-----

All actors consider wavelengths like 13.5nm or 11nm for the next sources.

The synchrotron and undulator I considered is already an old idea, the current advances being fluorescence in various forms, which provides more power than the half-watt typical of synchrotrons and undulators.

Lenses are a difficulty at 13.5nm (100eV!) because materials are opaque. Mirrors aren't much better, achieving 50% reflectivity at normal incidence.

-----

I wanted to give the accelerating cavities the same wavelength as the undulator, and now I'm confident this already exists.

I wanted to add a Perot-Fabry cavity around the undulator to increase the output power. This has been considered but is difficult at such a wevelength because neither mirrors nor light guides are efficient.

Apparently I won't bring anything new nor useful in this topic and give it up.

1. What is a harder UV source for lithography?

A harder UV source for lithography refers to a light source with higher energy levels, typically in the ultraviolet (UV) range, that is used in the process of lithography. This higher energy allows for more precise and detailed patterns to be created on a substrate, resulting in higher resolution and better quality prints.

2. How is a harder UV source used in lithography?

The harder UV source is used in a process called photolithography, where a pattern is transferred from a mask or template onto a photosensitive material. The light from the harder UV source is directed onto the mask, which creates a patterned image on the material. This pattern can then be etched onto a substrate, such as a silicon wafer, to create electronic circuits or other microstructures.

3. What are the benefits of using a harder UV source for lithography?

Using a harder UV source allows for more precise and detailed patterns to be created, resulting in higher resolution and better quality prints. This can be especially important in industries such as electronics and semiconductors, where small and precise features are crucial for the functionality of the final product.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a harder UV source for lithography?

One potential drawback is the increased cost of using a harder UV source compared to a lower energy source. Additionally, the higher energy levels may also result in increased heat and potential damage to the substrate if not carefully monitored and controlled.

5. How does a harder UV source compare to other light sources used in lithography?

A harder UV source is typically more powerful and has a shorter wavelength compared to other light sources used in lithography, such as mercury lamps or lasers. This allows for greater precision and control in creating smaller features and patterns on a substrate.