Hardware advice for a MATLAB oriented PC build

In summary, the conversation discusses options for a PC build that would perform well in MATLAB for tasks such as velocimetry, image processing, and statistical analysis. The options considered are the AMD Ryzen 2700 for its physical cores and the Intel Core i7 8700k for its universality and single core performance. As for GPUs, the Nvidia GeForce 1070Ti and Quadro P2000 are considered, with the latter potentially offering better performance despite lower benchmarks. The build will have 32GB RAM and an SSD, and the minimal recommendations are provided by MATLAB.
jamalkoiyess
Hello PF,
I am considering some options in my upcoming PC build and want to choose the one that performed best in MATLAB. What I mostly do is velocimetry with a big amount of points, image processing, statistical analysis. My options are between 2 CPUs:
  • AMD Ryzen 2700 - for the 8 physical cores since MATLAB rarely benefits from virtuals.
  • Intel Core i7 8700k - mainly for its universality and optimization along with the good single core performance.
As for the GPUs, I considered the following:
  • Nvidia GeForce 1070Ti - for the 2k+ Cuda cores and the OpenGL performance ( from https://gfxbench.com/result.jsp) Along with a good pricing
  • Quadro P2000 - I read on some forums that it offered better performance even when the benchmarks were lower.
The build will have 32GB Ram and an SSD

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What are the minimum system requirements for running MATLAB on a PC?

The minimum system requirements for running MATLAB on a PC are a 64-bit processor with at least 4 cores, 8 GB of RAM, and 10 GB of available disk space. It is also recommended to have a dedicated graphics card with at least 2 GB of memory for better performance.

2. Is it better to prioritize CPU or GPU for a MATLAB oriented PC build?

For a MATLAB oriented PC build, it is recommended to prioritize a powerful CPU over a dedicated GPU. MATLAB is primarily a CPU-intensive program, so investing in a high-performance processor will greatly improve its performance.

3. How much RAM is recommended for a MATLAB oriented PC build?

For optimal performance, it is recommended to have at least 16 GB of RAM for a MATLAB oriented PC build. This will allow for smoother multitasking and handling of large datasets and complex calculations.

4. What type of storage drive is best for a MATLAB oriented PC build?

A solid-state drive (SSD) is the best type of storage drive for a MATLAB oriented PC build. It offers faster read and write speeds, which can greatly improve the overall performance of MATLAB.

5. Are there any specific graphics card requirements for running MATLAB on a PC?

MATLAB does not have any specific graphics card requirements, but a dedicated GPU with at least 2 GB of memory is recommended for better performance. Additionally, make sure the graphics card is compatible with your processor and motherboard.