Harmonic damper on break barrel air rifle?

In summary, the Mathews Harmonic Stabilizers may help reduce vibrations from a break barrel air rifle, but they may not be effective on rifles with different mass and stiffness.
viper2788
basically, I am trying to reduce vibrations from my break barrel air rifle which has dual recoils in either direction. they happen almost simultaneously, but it still throws off my accuracy as one occurs just before the pellet leaves the barrel. the kick isn't strong but rather sharp. here's a pic so you may get a better idea:
http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Crosman/Nitro/NitroVsSpring.jpg

and then i came across this:
CIMG2169.jpg

The Mathews Harmonic Stabilizer dampens residual bow vibration by 75 percent and significantly improves bow balance and aiming.

what if i were to mount these onto the stock of my rifle? the gun is about twice as heavy as a bow, but it should still make a difference, right? what concerns me is that the bow is uniformly made of aluminum alloy, whereas for the gun, the initial vibrating part is the metal internals, which are held tightly to the wooden stock by screws. would i gain noticeable benfits from this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you tried benching your air rifle? You should be able to spot accuracy problems that way. You need to be able to divorce any early experience with .22 target programs, because those rimfire rifles have negligible forward recoil {very light firing pins}) and a small but not insignificant rear recoil. Even differences between .22 target loads have to be adjusted for, if you switch, brands, bullet weights, etc.

I was a top cross-country skier in my HS in the '60s and would have loved to have had a biathalon program here.

Last edited:
viper2788 said:
what if i were to mount these onto the stock of my rifle? the gun is about twice as heavy as a bow, but it should still make a difference, right? what concerns me is that the bow is uniformly made of aluminum alloy, whereas for the gun, the initial vibrating part is the metal internals, which are held tightly to the wooden stock by screws. would i gain noticeable benfits from this?

I looked at the Mathews website but it doesn't seem to have much real description of how these dampers work. But assuming they do work for bows, the design will probably be accurately "tuned" to match the dynamics of the bow. Whether that was done by a lot of trial and error, computer modelling of the dynamics, or they just got lucky, doesn't really matter.

If you put the same damper on a something with different mass and stiffness, and a different pattens of load against time causing the recoil, most likely it won't do anything useful.

1. What is a harmonic damper on a break barrel air rifle?

A harmonic damper on a break barrel air rifle is a device designed to reduce the vibrations and recoil generated by the firing of the air rifle. It is typically a weight or counterweight attached to the barrel or action of the rifle, which helps to absorb and dissipate the energy produced by the rapid expansion of compressed air.

2. How does a harmonic damper work?

A harmonic damper works by utilizing the principle of harmonic motion to reduce vibrations and recoil. When the air rifle is fired, the damper absorbs the energy produced by the compressed air and oscillates in an opposite direction. This motion helps to counteract the vibrations and recoil, resulting in a smoother and more accurate shot.

3. What are the benefits of using a harmonic damper on a break barrel air rifle?

The main benefit of using a harmonic damper on a break barrel air rifle is improved accuracy. By reducing the vibrations and recoil, the damper allows for more precise and consistent shots. It also helps to minimize wear and tear on the rifle, as well as reducing shooter fatigue and discomfort.

4. Can a harmonic damper be added to any break barrel air rifle?

In most cases, yes, a harmonic damper can be added to any break barrel air rifle. However, it is important to ensure that the damper is compatible with the specific model of air rifle and that it is installed correctly. Some manufacturers may offer specific harmonic dampers designed for their rifles.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a harmonic damper on a break barrel air rifle?

One potential drawback of using a harmonic damper on a break barrel air rifle is added weight. The damper may make the rifle heavier and more difficult to maneuver, which could affect the shooter's performance. Additionally, some shooters may find that the damper alters the balance and feel of the rifle, which may take some getting used to.