Harmonics Oscillator Homework: Solving Schrodinger Equation

In summary, a Harmonic Oscillator is a physical system that exhibits harmonic motion and consists of a mass attached to a spring. The Schrodinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics used to describe the evolution of a system's wave function. It is used to solve a Harmonic Oscillator problem by finding the wave function and allowed energy levels. The energy levels represent the different states of the oscillator and have applications in understanding atoms, molecules, and quantum systems.
Winzer

Homework Statement

Show:
[tex] \psi_1=N x e^{-\frac{x^2}{\sigma}} [/tex] is an eigenfunction of the total energy operator(H).

Homework Equations

psi=N x exp[-x^2/K]

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the above to the Schrodinger Equation-time indep. for Harmonic oscillator but I keep getting an x^2 dependence inside the calculation. Do I not plug this in?

Physics news on Phys.org
oh, I should be putting psi into d^2(psi)/dy^2 + (e-y^2) psi =0 where y=sqrt(mw/h) x. the asymtotic solution: e-->0. This is what is I should plug it into right?

Related to Harmonics Oscillator Homework: Solving Schrodinger Equation

1. What is a Harmonic Oscillator?

A Harmonic Oscillator is a physical system that exhibits a specific type of motion called harmonic motion. It consists of a mass attached to a spring that is able to oscillate back and forth at a constant frequency. It is often used as a model to study the behavior of more complex systems in physics.

2. What is the Schrodinger Equation?

The Schrodinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a physical system evolves over time. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific location at a given time.

3. How is the Schrodinger Equation used to solve a Harmonic Oscillator problem?

The Schrodinger Equation is used to find the wave function of a Harmonic Oscillator, which represents the probability amplitude of finding the oscillator in a specific state. By solving the Schrodinger Equation, we can determine the allowed energy levels and corresponding wave functions for a Harmonic Oscillator.

4. What is the significance of the energy levels in a Harmonic Oscillator?

The energy levels in a Harmonic Oscillator represent the different states that the oscillator can exist in. These levels are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values. The lowest energy level, known as the ground state, is the most stable state of the oscillator and the higher energy levels correspond to more excited states.

5. What are the applications of solving the Schrodinger Equation for a Harmonic Oscillator?

Solving the Schrodinger Equation for a Harmonic Oscillator has numerous applications in physics, including understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, studying the properties of solids and crystals, and analyzing the behavior of quantum systems. It also has practical applications in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and engineering.