Harvesting the energy of sea waves using capacitance

In summary, this Ukrainian experimenter shows it with capacitor plates he made himself. He can power a neon bulb with the charge. This is a very simplified illustration. Is this however possible to use to produce electricity cost-effectively? What would define the thermodynamic limit?
tarakan said:
Yet a signal cable that runs beneath the ocean experiences capacitance, acting as a capacitor "plate" surrounded by another capacitor "plate".
The cable is a balanced twisted pair or coaxial transmission line. All the currents are balanced and internal. It is inside a steel wire armoured case. The seawater is quite irrelevant.

tarakan said:
Why would resistance matter for the sea water if we are accumulating charge and not current?
Because you are not accumulating charge. Capacitor charge is constant while the capacitance and voltage are changing. Charge is being pumped by the change of capacitance. The flow of charge takes place at two different fixed voltages.
A flow of charge is called a current.

tarakan said:
What about bottle capacitors that were used in Tesla era, where bottles were placed in a container of salt water and filled with salt water?
The static voltages were measured in thousands of volts, the current was less than 1 mA. Resistance was not important as insignificant power was being handled, uneconomically.

tarakan said:
If we are talking about resistance, what is the thickness of the conductor?
It should be sufficient.

tarakan said:
What is ocean water conductor's cross section?
It is irrelevant and unmeasurable.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Baluncore said:
If you don't like those numbers
tarakan said:
Can we leave out the algae and storms and all the other environmental factors and imagine an ideal setting:
Basically, it looks like the OP wants to be told that he has a great idea and it's strange why it's not already being used. He wants to discuss an Engineering project but not to consider Engineering reality. Many ideas have been aired in this thread but the OP is clearly not reading them.

It's a waste of time to continue with this.

Likes berkeman
sophiecentaur said:
I was originally exploring the possibilities myself, then I felt I was entertaining a silent crowd who maintained a safe distance, but now I am inclined to agree with you, it is getting very repetitive.

Likes berkeman, Vanadium 50, russ_watters and 1 other person
Baluncore said:
...then I felt I was entertaining a silent crowd who maintained a safe distance...
You have been, and we thank you for that. It has been both entertaining and more importantly, informative.

sophiecentaur said:
Baluncore said:
I was originally exploring the possibilities myself, then I felt I was entertaining a silent crowd who maintained a safe distance, but now I am inclined to agree with you, it is getting very repetitive.
russ_watters said:
You have been, and we thank you for that. It has been both entertaining and more importantly, informative.
This is a good time to tie off this thread. Thank you all who were trying your best to help the OP. :smile:

Likes russ_watters