Has anybody ever finished reading Morse&Feshbach and Courant&Hilbert mathemathetical/theoretical physics books?

• Other
  • Thread starter Gavinn
  • Start date
Gavinn
mathemathetical/theoretical physics books?

I started CH but quite earlier stopped, unfortunately from reading it.

Hopefully one day I'll come back.

Physics news on Phys.org
Reading is one thing, understanding another.

Likes PhDeezNutz, vanhees71 and Vanadium 50
Gavinn said:
mathemathetical/theoretical physics books?

I started CH but quite earlier stopped, unfortunately from reading it.

Hopefully one day I'll come back.
My version is from 1924. Isn't that a bit old-fashioned?

Dr Transport said:
Reading is one thing, understanding another.
Yes.
Well, understanding everything in them can be quite formidable task.

Someone once told me that it's not that we understand per se but get used to things.

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman
I"ve never "finished" any textbook. I don't even know what that means....... I suppose I "finished" the sections from which I taught courses

Likes fresh_42
hutchphd said:
I"ve never "finished" any textbook. I don't even know what that means....... I suppose I "finished" the sections from which I taught courses
did'nt you read for your own sake? not for courses.

Morse and Feshbach, as with the Russian's Gradshteyn & Rydzhik, is what we call "encyclopedic work", which means that one normally goes to it only for a particular subject (formula, integral), not for the whole work. As for C&H, I guess you can use it at a greater scale, being the first textbook on mathematical techniques in general physics.

Likes PhDeezNutz and fresh_42
Never cover to cover. (Well maybe Feynman lectures....but I'm certainly haven't finished them) Usually I want to know certain stuff.

Likes PhDeezNutz
hutchphd said:
Never cover to cover. (Well maybe Feynman lectures....but I'm certainly haven't finished them) Usually I want to know certain stuff.
I have read van der Waerden's algebra book (volume 1) and Artin's book on Galois theory cover to cover, and I started Kurosh's book on group theory but soon lost interest after a couple of pages.

But it is priceless to have books available for looking up specific subjects.

Likes PhDeezNutz, pinball1970 and Gavinn
fresh_42 said:
I have read van der Waerden's algebra book (volume 1) and Artin's book on Galois theory cover to cover, and I started Kurosh's book on group theory but soon lost interest after a couple of pages.

But it is priceless to have books available for looking up specific subjects.
I just don't like reading like a grasshopper instead of an ant, i.e from going from forward backward and vice versa.

hutchphd said:
I did cover to cover for srdnicki and peskin and schroeader with their solution manuals.
A few months of reading, quite painstaking.

The song starts with the words:

"
Where do you go when you've given it all
And your mind declares a collapse
You've turned every page in an infected book"

I wonder how much quantum chaos is hard.

Gavinn said:
I wonder how much quantum chaos is hard.
Sorry, that doesn't parse very well. Can you try again with a lot more details, and maybe a link or two? Thanks.

berkeman said:
Sorry, that doesn't parse very well. Can you try again with a lot more details, and maybe a link or two? Thanks.
I read the preface of the chaosbook of Predrag Civatovonivic which can be found in a google search.

He seems to argue that this subject is quite hard compared to QFT. At least that's what I understood.

The butler did it.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes vanhees71, Demystifier, hutchphd and 1 other person
berkeman said:
Chaos is hard, quantum is hard, ergo quantum chaos is hardly hard.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71 and berkeman

Has anybody ever finished reading Morse&Feshbach and Courant&Hilbert mathematical/theoretical physics books?​

I'm not even sure that the authors did it. For instance, perhaps Courant didn't read all the parts that Hilbert wrote.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Demystifier said:
Chaos is hard, quantum is hard, ergo quantum chaos is hardly hard.
Sounds valid. :oldbiggrin:

fresh_42 said:
My version is from 1924. Isn't that a bit old-fashioned?
Courant&Hilbert will never be old-fashioned! It's a masterpiece of scientific prose too.

Also I must admit, I've never read any theoretical-physics or math book from the beginning to the end. I rather use them to read and understand the things I need for some problem I like to solve. As a student I also used the textbooks to read about something I didn't understand in the lectures or to better understand a topic being treated in the lectures in more detail etc.

What's much more important than to "read" a textbook from the 1st to the last page entirely is to really "work" with it, i.e., starting with following the arguments in detail with pencil an paper deriving the key results yourself and then as the next step to solve problems using the material learnt in this active way from the book.

Likes PhDeezNutz, apostolosdt, vela and 1 other person
Demystifier said:

Has anybody ever finished reading Morse&Feshbach and Courant&Hilbert mathematical/theoretical physics books?​

I'm not even sure that the authors did it. For instance, perhaps Courant didn't read all the parts that Hilbert wrote.
Did Hilber write something in these books himself? I thought Courant wrote the books, using notes from Hilbert's lectures ;-)).

Likes PhDeezNutz, apostolosdt, dextercioby and 1 other person
vanhees71 said:
Did Hilber write something in these books himself? I thought Courant wrote the books, using notes from Hilbert's lectures ;-)).
Agreed; as far as I can recall, Courant relied on Hilbert’s lectures but also wanted to honour Hilbert. I think first read about this info in Parke III’s Guide to the Literature in Mathematics and Physics.

Morse and Feshbach is less encyclopaedic than the above and a bit more textbook-like. (One might like the stereoscopic figures of the 11 solvable coordinate systems in Vol. 1.) I always wondered if Feynman, who took an original class that later turned into M&F’s book, did ever revisit it.

Both works are must for a physicist’s library, even today.

Likes hutchphd and dextercioby
apostolosdt said:
Agreed; as far as I can recall, Courant relied on Hilbert’s lectures but also wanted to honour Hilbert. I think first read about this info in Parke III’s Guide to the Literature in Mathematics and Physics.
Courant writes as much in the preface of the English version in 1953:
"The responsibility for the present book rests with me. Yet the name of my teacher, colleague, and friend , D. Hilbert, on the title page seems justified by the fact that much material from Hilbert's papers and lectures has been used, as well as by the hope that the book expresses some of Hilbert's spirit, which had such a decisive influence on mathematical research and education"

Hilbert became very ill in 1925 and retired in 1930 so I don't think he contributed directly to the book after the first German edition. Courant mentions much help from Friedrichs, Lax and many others.

I agree that they are 'must haves', used as background material for studying/solving specific problems. There might be modern alternatives, but it will be a couple of decades before we recognize them as classics I guess.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and apostolosdt
I think M & H is meant to be read topic by topic as needed. In my early days, I used it in the library to clinch a topic. It was too heavy to take out and too expensive to buy. Then, since most of us just read it in the library, the school library sold it for $.50 because it hadn't been 'used'. I am not surprised librarians know less about libraries than users do.

• Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz and vanhees71

1. What are Morse&Feshbach and Courant&Hilbert mathematical/theoretical physics books?

Morse&Feshbach and Courant&Hilbert are two well-known textbooks in the field of mathematical and theoretical physics. They cover a wide range of topics including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and statistical mechanics.

2. Are these books difficult to understand?

Yes, these books are considered advanced texts and are typically used in graduate-level courses. They assume a strong background in mathematics and physics, so they may be challenging for those without prior knowledge in these areas.

3. How long does it take to finish reading these books?

The time it takes to finish reading these books varies depending on the individual's reading speed and level of understanding. It could take anywhere from a few months to a year or more to fully comprehend the material.

4. Are these books still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, these books are still relevant in modern physics. While some of the specific examples and applications may be outdated, the fundamental concepts and theories discussed in these books are still widely used and studied in current research.

5. Can these books be used as a self-study resource?

These books can be used as a self-study resource, but it is recommended to have a strong background in mathematics and physics before attempting to read them. It may also be helpful to supplement with other resources or seek guidance from a mentor or instructor.