Has this experiment of "detecting" the quantum foam been conducted?

DyerMaker
TL;DR Summary
Has the J. Bekenstein's experiment of "detecting" the quantum foam [for its description please, click the link below] ever been tried to be conducted? If the answer is "no", why not?
Physics news on Phys.org
Two answers:

(1) It won't work as described. It will be dominated by noise and possibly other physical effects, i.e. when you place on a stand, you place it on a spring, because everything is a spring.

(2) People who have the expertise to reduce this noise and make this a practical experiment - if that is even possible - have their own research programs and no not need more work on their plates. They have plenty.

Likes DyerMaker
Vanadium 50 said:
Two answers:

(1) It won't work as described. It will be dominated by noise and possibly other physical effects, i.e. when you place on a stand, you place it on a spring, because everything is a spring.

(2) People who have the expertise to reduce this noise and make this a practical experiment - if that is even possible - have their own research programs and no not need more work on their plates. They have plenty.
Thank you for the answer.
But aren't the results of this experiment so important for the modern physicians that it has a higher priority and should be conducted more rapidly?

Last edited:
If you think it's that important, why don't you do it? Otherwise, the argument is "this is so important other people should drop everything and do it."

DyerMaker said:
Thank you for the answer.
But aren't the results of this experiment so important for the modern physicians that it has a higher priority and should be conducted more rapidly?
The logic of the experiment seems dubious to me. He's arguing via conservation of momentum, that when the photon is absorbed by the block, the center of mass of the block will undergo a Planck-scale displacement (before the photon is re-emitted), and so this is an opportunity for quantum-gravitational modifications of usual laws of motion to manifest. But in reality, the photon is not absorbed by "the block", it's absorbed by an individual particle within the block.

It reminds me a bit of the debate over how to think about many-body interactions in MOND, another kind of modified gravity. At the very least, there needs to be much more clarity about how and why the process that Bekenstein proposes would show any effect at all, when analyzed from a many-body perspective.

Likes DyerMaker
Matvei Bronstein has discovered important formulas related to the 'quantum foam' of spacetime. It is possible that he does not want to share the exact formulas, but see his paper 'Quantum theory of weak gravitational fields'

Matvei Bronstein, Quantentheorie schwacher Gravitationsfelder, Physikalische Zeitschriftder Sowjetunion, Band 9, Heft 2–3, pp. 140–157 (1936)

I should add that this should not be taken as a remark on loop quantum gravity. I am intending to publish a paper on 'Perturbation analysis of general relativity' which is the reason why I am aware of this paper.

Likes DyerMaker