Have a few outlets that test as a slightly dim open ground

In summary: If other devices are plugged into the circuit with lights (plugging in a lamp won't hurt), test them one by one to see if they are supplying a sneak path. If they are not plugged in, it's likely that the problem is in the light circuit. If the problem clears up when everything else on the circuit is unplugged, it's likely that there are two problems: a faulty ground connection and another device on the circuit with a sneak path. If you're not sure what you're doing, it's best to call a professional.
swampwiz
I've got a METERK MK16US outlet tester with the 3 lights like any other tester. There are 3 outlets that I have tried that are important to me to have a good ground since I am running some pinball machines, and I have done some requiring with switches (I think I've done it right, but you never know).

Anyway, for one of the outlets, the tester shows a very bright pair of green lights indicating CORRECT. However, for a pair of other outlets, which are not on the same breaker, and with nothing else plugged in, I get the proper pair of green lights for CORRECT, but the light that is the determinant of OPEN GROUND vs. CORRECT (i.e., if this light is on, that it's correct, but if it is off, it's OPEN GROUND) is neither as strong as the other light for the tester, nor when compared to that mentioned above. I wouldn't say it is dim, but it's definitely not as a brilliant as the other light.

So what's the deal here?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Believe the tester.

The most likely is an open, or high resistance, Ground and there is other equipment connected to the same breaker that is supplying a sneak path good enough for partial illumination of that tester lamp.

If possible, disconnect, (just turning them off is not enough) everything else on that circuit and test again. If the problem clears up, then there may be TWO problems:
(1) a faulty Ground connection
and
(2)
another device on the circuit in questionable condition with a sneak path

Be sure the breaker is Off before getting fingers in the way!
Then it is a matter of physically checking every connection on that circuit for loose or wrong connections. Pay attention to the wire colors too, if they are not consistent they are a problem. Check every outlet box and junction box on that circuit and inside the Breaker panel.
If you are not sure what you are doing, call in a professional and let them do the dangerous part. A lost finger is worth more than a service call. [/SIZE]

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited:
Likes Dinoduck94
For one of the outlets, the only other stuff that is on that circuit is a light switch (it was off when the outlet was tested).

swampwiz said:
a light switch (it was off when the outlet was tested)
Light circuits (single pole switches) are often dodgier and could have caused problem is it was not actually disconnected (L and N conductors).

1. What does it mean when a few outlets test as a slightly dim open ground?

When an outlet tests as a slightly dim open ground, it means that there is an issue with the electrical wiring in the outlet. The "open ground" refers to a missing or disconnected ground wire, and the "slightly dim" indicates that there is a partial connection or resistance in the circuit.

2. Is it safe to use outlets that test as a slightly dim open ground?

No, it is not safe to use outlets that test as a slightly dim open ground. This issue can potentially lead to electrical shocks, short circuits, and even fires. It is important to address and fix this issue as soon as possible.

3. What could be causing the outlets to test as a slightly dim open ground?

There are several possible causes for outlets to test as a slightly dim open ground. These include loose or damaged wiring, faulty outlets, and improper grounding. It is best to have a professional electrician inspect and diagnose the specific cause in order to properly fix the issue.

4. Can I fix the issue of outlets testing as a slightly dim open ground myself?

It is not recommended to try and fix this issue yourself, as it involves working with electrical wiring which can be dangerous if not done correctly. It is best to hire a licensed electrician who has the knowledge and experience to safely and properly fix the problem.

5. How can I prevent outlets from testing as a slightly dim open ground in the future?

To prevent outlets from testing as a slightly dim open ground in the future, it is important to have regular maintenance and inspections of your electrical system. This can help identify and fix any potential issues before they become larger problems. It is also important to use caution when using outlets and not overload them with too many devices.