Have i been mislead by b greene? quantum teleportation

In summary, the conversation discusses the limits of quantum teleportation and whether it is possible to teleport a human being. Some believe that only information can be teleported, while others argue that it may be possible to teleport matter. Brian Greene is mentioned as a source of information, but some have complained about him on a website. The conversation also includes a discussion about the entanglement of atoms in the human body and whether this would affect the possibility of teleportation.
g.lemaitre
I'm starting to think I've been misinformed by Brian Greene. Some people have complained about him on this website. I was wondering if someone would watch a two minute segment from this video and tell me how accurate it is. The part in question begins at about minute 40, it's the part where he discusses teleporting himself from New York to Paris.

I'm still having trouble understanding the limits of quantum teleportation. In another thread someone mentioned that you cannot teleport matter only information. Here's what I think to be true, probably incorrect. I'm just guessing that the only thing you can teleport is the quantum numbers. You have one set of particles in New York and their entangled set in Paris. By changing the quantum numbers in New York, you automatically change the quantum numbers of the particles in Paris. Greene makes it seem that you can transmit a whole human being. I find this very implausible. In order to transmit a human being you would have to know how the atoms stand in relation to another atom in space, just as puzzle pieces are arranged with each other. I'm pretty sure that nothing in quantum entanglement tells us how one atom is related to another atom. All the atoms in our body are not entangled with each other, right? Further, you would have to already have a huge list in Paris of what atoms your body is composed of. QM gives us no help in constructing that list as far as I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In order to transmit a human being you would have to know how the atoms stand in relation to another atom in space, just as puzzle pieces are arranged with each other.
Right. A human is too unordered and has too much contact to the environment to consider it as quantum state in any realistic setup. You could teleport it molecule by molecule, but this would still need some device to study the position of the molecules and another one to rebuild the human at the target.
That is explained in the video as well.

All the atoms in our body are not entangled with each other, right?
They are.

1. What is quantum teleportation?

Quantum teleportation is a process in which the exact state of a quantum system (such as a particle or an atom) can be transmitted from one location to another, with the help of classical communication and previously shared entanglement between the sending and receiving location.

2. How does quantum teleportation work?

Quantum teleportation involves three main steps: (1) creating an entangled pair of particles, (2) sending one of the particles to the receiving location while keeping the other with the sender, and (3) using classical communication to transfer the measurement results of the particle at the sender's location to the receiver's location. This allows the receiving particle to take on the exact state of the original particle, effectively teleporting the information.

3. Can quantum teleportation be used for human teleportation?

No, quantum teleportation can only transfer the state of a quantum system. It cannot teleport physical objects or living beings. The concept of human teleportation is still purely theoretical and not currently possible with our current understanding of quantum mechanics.

4. Who is B. Greene and how does he relate to quantum teleportation?

B. Greene (Brian Greene) is a theoretical physicist and professor at Columbia University. His research focuses on quantum gravity and string theory, which are fields of study related to quantum mechanics and could potentially lead to advancements in quantum teleportation technology.

5. Is it possible to be misled by B. Greene's work on quantum teleportation?

No, B. Greene's work is based on scientific research and evidence. While there may be different interpretations or theories within the field of quantum mechanics, the principles and concepts of quantum teleportation are supported by experimentation and mathematical models. It is important to critically evaluate any scientific information, but B. Greene's work on quantum teleportation is not misleading.