Have You Ever Seen a Movie About Engineers?

• Thread starter kant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary, the movie tries to show engineers in a positive light, and it's funny how everyone thinks of scientists as negative people.
kant
I saw movies with mathematicians, physicists, biologists... but i never saw a movie depicting engineers.This movie actually actually tries to show engineers in a positive light. I can t remember the last time there was a movie like this. Most often, engineers are depicted in the backgroud.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's funny how everyone thinks of scientists as negative people and that we need to make "positive" movies to improve that.

Remember, we know the cure for cancer and we are not telling anyone because we are greedy and want the money from selling medical drugs. :rolleyes:

I really think we should get more of the limelight.

There have been a lot of movies that touch on the engineering side, but, like you said, it's more to set up the main plot. I think Apollo 13 did a pretty good job including engineers in the story.

There are too few engineers in this country. Only 5% of the degrees awarded at an american universities has soemthing to do with engineering. It is no joke. It is a matter of national security to get kids interested in the field.

seen it. lame movie. engineering stuff in it doesn't really help out to bring it out of its lame state. my beef? no creativity, characters are poorly developed, the plot goes into superposition and don't even try to connect the dots and see where the writer is going next, as that will require you to have a bipolar mind in order to understand him.

and btw the movie that came closest to any 'engineering' stuff was Hackers, still is the most techy to date next with Takedown

Last edited:
kant said:
There are too few engineers in this country. Only 5% of the degrees awarded at an american universities has soemthing to do with engineering. It is no joke. It is a matter of national security to get kids interested in the field.
There was a recent article done in a design magazine I get regarding the rate that China is graduating engineers versus the US. It is wicked scary to think of. I can post a link if you're interested.

cronxeh said:
and btw the movie that came closest to any 'engineering' stuff was Hackers, still is the most techy to date.
Hackers? Are you kidding? That movie completely dumbed things down and threw in useless computer graphics so the average joe could feel like it was a techie movie. Horrible trash.

Movies like October Sky are really what need to be put out there. I would like to see a big dollar production done properly though. A big budget movie that takes the time to do it right both technically and story wise.

FredGarvin said:
There was a recent article done in a design magazine I get regarding the rate that China is graduating engineers versus the US. It is wicked scary to think of. I can post a link if you're interested.

I already know. I recalled there was an article about China producing a million engineers per year, and India didn t fall too far behind.

kant said:
I already know. I recalled there was an article about China producing a million engineers per year, and India didn t fall too far behind.

Well, these engineers don't have much of a choice don't they.

You may not be too far off on that Jason. However, they probably aren't complaining if they are getting placed into an engineering profession since, I would think, it is a good leg up in income for most in both China and India.

Related to Have You Ever Seen a Movie About Engineers?

1. What are some popular movies about engineers?

Some popular movies about engineers include Iron Man, Apollo 13, The Imitation Game, Hidden Figures, and The Martian.

2. Are there any movies that accurately portray the life of an engineer?

Yes, there are several movies that accurately depict the life of an engineer, such as October Sky, The Social Network, and The Right Stuff.

3. Are there any movies specifically about female engineers?

Yes, there are a few movies that feature female engineers, such as Hidden Figures, Real Genius, and Flash of Genius.

4. Do any popular movies focus on the challenges engineers face?

Yes, there are several movies that highlight the challenges engineers face, such as The Imitation Game, Apollo 13, and The Social Network.

5. Are there any documentaries about engineers?

Yes, there are several documentaries that explore the world of engineers, such as Dream Big: Engineering Our World, The Mars Generation, and Bombardier Blood.