Have you ever wondered about the connection between airbag physics and Calculus?

• Thread starter RipVanCalcNoob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the airbag system monitors for sudden changes in acceleration, and if that acceleration reaches a threshold, the airbag will deploy.
RipVanCalcNoob
Today, I am an adult who is re-learning some Calculus. But, I ask a lot of questions about anything and everything.

Has anyone ever explored the concepts and/or Calculus/Physics behind auto airbag deployment? Computer feeds real time velocity points and the ECU is monitoring for a sudden drop in rate of change / sudden spike in negative acceleration?

What is the basic idea at work?
Got any links that would drive the concept home?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, but I assume that it's based upon a pendulum system the same as a seat-belt locking reel, with possibly a compression-bumper-strut connection as well. I'll snoop around some to see what's out there. I recommend that you do some serious Googling yourself, though. The info should be readily available.

Car crash finish in 80 ms. in time 30 ms, head impact to steering. for explosion of airbag roughly we need 10~15 ms (for full filled)
so we have something about 15 ms (golden time) to decide for firing or not.
there is a ACU in car, with acceleration sensor in different direction(for detecting front crash, rolling,..)
when you start car, ACU turn on and start for data sampling and calculating. there is some algorithm inside of ACU software that decide for firing or not.
this software is modified by some coefficient which we adjust them trough airbag development process and test.
this test are full front crash with rigid barrier, rolling, deer test, mis use test,...

Likes Danger
Danger said:
I'm not sure, but I assume that it's based upon a pendulum system the same as a seat-belt locking reel, with possibly a compression-bumper-strut connection as well. I'll snoop around some to see what's out there. I recommend that you do some serious Googling yourself, though. The info should be readily available.

Pretty sure it's not a sensor in the bumper, but a computer algorithm that monitors speed.

mmeftahpour said:
Car crash finish in 80 ms. in time 30 ms, head impact to steering. for explosion of airbag roughly we need 10~15 ms (for full filled)
so we have something about 15 ms (golden time) to decide for firing or not.
there is a ACU in car, with acceleration sensor in different direction(for detecting front crash, rolling,..)
when you start car, ACU turn on and start for data sampling and calculating. there is some algorithm inside of ACU software that decide for firing or not.
this software is modified by some coefficient which we adjust them trough airbag development process and test.
this test are full front crash with rigid barrier, rolling, deer test, mis use test,...

This sounds right.
Is there any way to describe what the algorithm is looking for?
ACU is fed constant speed values from speedometer.
ACU can calculate acceleration based on time elapsed b/w 2 speed data points.

eg: v(t) values
VELOCITY
t=0 (milliseconds), s=55 (mph)
t=5 (milliseconds), s=60 (mph)
t=10 (milliseconds), s=70 (mph)
t=15 (milliseconds), s=50 (mph)
t=20 (milliseconds), s=0 (mph) <== Has hit into wall and stopped suddenly

ACCELERATION
Let's calculate some rate of change of velocity using deltaY/deltaX:
60-55 / 5-0 = 5/5 = 1 mph
70-60 / 10-5 = 10/5 = 2 mph
50-70 / 15-10 = -20/5 = -4 mph
0-50 / 20-15 = -50/5 = -10 mph

During some interval, maybe the airbag is triggered once the acceleration exceed some negative threshold ?

RipVanCalcNoob said:
it's not a sensor in the bumper
Yeah. I thought that I remembered seeing something like that, but I realize now that it was a shock-absorber system.

Anyone care to verify my basic thought process?

please see attachment.

Attachments

• Air bag.docx
    130.9 KB · Views: 242
RipVanCalcNoob said:
Today, I am an adult who is re-learning some Calculus. But, I ask a lot of questions about anything and everything.

Has anyone ever explored the concepts and/or Calculus/Physics behind auto airbag deployment? Computer feeds real time velocity points and the ECU is monitoring for a sudden drop in rate of change / sudden spike in negative acceleration?

What is the basic idea at work?
Got any links that would drive the concept home?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbags

:-)

berkeman said:

Nothing mathematical there, but did mention about the concept of deceleration.

Because airbag sensors measure deceleration, vehicle speed is not a good indicator of whether an airbag should have deployed. Airbags can deploy due to the vehicle's undercarriage striking a low object protruding above the roadway due to the resulting deceleration.

The airbag sensor is a MEMS accelerometer, which is a small integrated circuit with integrated micro mechanical elements. The microscopic mechanical element moves in response to rapid deceleration, and this motion causes a change in capacitance, which is detected by the electronics on the chip that then sends a signal to fire the airbag.

mmeftahpour, thanks for the Word doc. That also has a small description of the acceleration data.

Related to Have you ever wondered about the connection between airbag physics and Calculus?

1. How does an airbag work?

When a car experiences a sudden impact, a sensor triggers the release of compressed gas from the airbag module. This gas inflates the airbag quickly, creating a cushion between the driver or passenger and the hard surfaces of the car. This reduces the force of impact and helps prevent injuries.

2. What is the role of physics in airbag design?

Physics plays a crucial role in the design of airbags. Engineers use principles of mechanics, such as momentum and impulse, to determine the proper placement and timing of the airbag deployment. They also consider factors such as the size and weight of the vehicle, the speed of impact, and the force of the crash to ensure the airbag provides adequate protection.

3. How do airbags affect the motion of the car during a crash?

During a crash, the airbag and the occupant of the car have the same momentum. This means that the airbag must absorb the momentum of the occupant, causing it to deflate slowly. This gradual deflation results in a longer duration of impact, reducing the force of the collision and minimizing injuries.

4. Can airbags cause injuries?

While airbags are designed to reduce injuries, they can still cause harm in certain situations. If the airbag deploys too forcefully, it can cause burns, bruises, or even broken bones. Additionally, the chemicals used to inflate the airbag can irritate the eyes, skin, and respiratory system. However, these injuries are rare and are still outweighed by the benefits of airbags in preventing more severe injuries in car accidents.

5. How is calculus used in airbag design?

Calculus is used in airbag design to analyze the forces and acceleration involved in a crash. Engineers use calculus to determine the ideal shape and size of the airbag, as well as the rate at which it should inflate. Calculus is also used to fine-tune the timing of the airbag deployment to ensure it provides maximum protection. Without calculus, it would be challenging to accurately design and test airbags for different scenarios.