Have You Heard of a Half-Male, Half-Female Bird?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bird
In summary, a rare bird with both male and female characteristics, known as a gynandromorph, was observed in northwestern Illinois. This phenomenon, also known as bilateral gynandromorphism, has been documented in other species such as butterflies. Scientists have observed both male and female gynandromorph cardinals, with one having the traditional red feathers on the right side and the other having white feathers on the right side. It is surprising that the bird was never caught for DNA sampling, but an article about it has been published in the Wilson Journal of Ornithology.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I was not aware of such a thing.

n-CARDINAL-large570.jpg

You don't have to be an ornithologist to know that red northern cardinals are male and brownish-gray ones are female.

But what about a Cardinalis cardinalis that sports red feathers on one side of its body and brownish-gray feathers on the other? Why, that cardinal is half-male and half-female, of course--and just such a rare bird has been observed in northwestern Illinois.

An example of a phenomenon biologists call bilateral gynandromorphism, the bird was observed for more than 40 days between Dec. 2008 and March 2010--and it certainly caught the attention of the scientists who spotted it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...dinal-plumage_n_6392336.html?utm_hp_ref=birds

Likes Digitalism, PWiz, lisab and 6 others
Physics news on Phys.org
That's amazing, isn't it? I recently heard about it as well, butterflies are beautiful examples as well.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and Evo
Like Frank Gorshin in Star Trek!

Likes edward, dlgoff and Evo
If a male cardinal approaches on the red side and starts to pick a fight this little birdie only has to turn the other cheek. :D

Shades of the Starship Enterprise:

Intriguingly, another gynandromorph cardinal sighted briefly in 1969 had the opposite plumage, they note: the male’s bright red plumes on the right, the drabber female feathers on the left.

bold mine

http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/2014/12/half-male-half-female-bird-has-rough-life

Last edited:
Based on my observations and interactions with quite many people, I think most "gay" males of higher social positions in life share this feature.
edward said:
If a male cardinal approaches on the red side and starts to pick a fight this little birdie only has to turn the other cheek...

jbrussell93 said:
I know this is a relatively old post, but just thought I'd chime in. I think the term is actually 'leucistic' http://www.sibleyguides.com/2011/08/abnormal-coloration-in-birds-melanin-reduction/. It is not both male and female, it just has a reduction in melanin on one half of its body, for whatever reason. It's definitely not unheard of, but the symmetry is pretty spectacular.
No, the condition is a gynandromorph and is an organism that contains both male and female characteristics. Please read the information posted before replying.

Yes, I read that. I was only suggesting that it looks much whiter than a typical female cardinal. Females are not white, they actually have a fair amount of color, suggesting this bird might be leucistic instead of a gynandromorph.

Either way, it's surprising that they never actually caught the bird to sample its DNA, yet an article is apparently published in the Wilson Journal of Ornithology.

Likes Silicon Waffle
jbrussell93 said:
Yes, I read that. I was only suggesting that it looks much whiter than a typical female cardinal. Females are not white, they actually have a fair amount of color, suggesting this bird might be leucistic instead of a gynandromorph.

Either way, it's surprising that they never actually caught the bird to sample its DNA, yet an article is apparently published in the Wilson Journal of Ornithology.
Yes, it does look much whiter so there could be a reason for the lighter coloring for the female half as you state, but it's still half male/half female.

Likes Silicon Waffle

What is a "Half-Male, Half-Female Bird"?

A "Half-Male, Half-Female Bird", also known as a gynandromorph, is a rare genetic phenomenon where an individual bird displays both male and female physical characteristics. This can occur in various species of birds, including chickens, pigeons, and parrots.

How does a bird become a "Half-Male, Half-Female"?

The occurrence of gynandromorphism is due to a genetic mutation during the early stages of embryonic development. This mutation can result in an uneven distribution of sex chromosomes, leading to the development of both male and female characteristics in the same individual.

Can "Half-Male, Half-Female Birds" reproduce?

It is highly unlikely for a gynandromorph bird to reproduce due to the mismatched sex chromosomes. In most cases, these birds are infertile and therefore cannot produce offspring. However, there have been a few rare instances where a gynandromorph bird was able to produce viable offspring.

Are "Half-Male, Half-Female Birds" considered a separate species?

No, gynandromorph birds are not considered a separate species. They are still classified as the species they belong to, but with a unique genetic variation. However, the physical characteristics of these birds can vary greatly, making them stand out from their non-gynandromorph counterparts.

How rare are "Half-Male, Half-Female Birds"?

Gynandromorphism is a rare occurrence in the animal kingdom, with an estimated frequency of 1 in every 10,000 birds. However, the exact frequency may be higher as many gynandromorph birds may not be easily identifiable due to subtle physical characteristics.

Back