Have You Seen This Urn Problem Before?

• Thread starter pieface
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem with an urn containing different colored balls and a sampling machine that can only draw two balls at a time with replacement. The goal is to estimate the proportion of each colored ball in the urn. There is no specific name for this problem, but the estimation method involves dividing the number of pairs with a certain color by twice the total number of drawn pairs.
pieface
I'm interested if anyone has seen something like this urn problem before and if it has a name?

The premise is:

An urn contains red, green, blue and orange balls. I have a sampling machine that can draw samples from the urn, but will only draw balls of any two colors at a time. For example, the machine can draw red and green balls and I will get a sample that tells me the ratio of red to green but not the proportion of green balls in the urn as a whole.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming your problem is about drawing a pair of two different color balls each time, right? Do you replace the balls back to the urn before the next drawing?

Hi Viralux, yes, different colored balls, and with replacement. Thanks

I don't think this problem has an specific name since there are many different urn like problems in the probability theory.

In this case you want to estimate the proportion of each colored ball; if you draw one at a time you simply divide the number of of each colored ball n by the total number of drawn balls N, that is n/N.

Since you are drawing two at a time and they are different color each time you have only 6 possible outcomes {r,g} {r,b} {r,o} {g,b} {g,o} {b,o} and you can estimate then the proportion for each pair as if they were just one color.

But if you want to estimate the proportion of just one of the colors you simply need to divide the number of pairs having that color by twice the total number of drawn pairs, for example, the estimation for the red ball would be: (#{r,g}+#{r,b}+#{r,p})/(2*N)

I have come across similar problems in the field of statistics and probability. This type of problem is commonly referred to as a "sampling without replacement" problem, where the sample size is relatively small compared to the population size. In this specific case, the sampling machine only draws two balls at a time, making it a "two-color sampling without replacement" problem. This type of problem is commonly used in experimental design and can provide valuable insights into the characteristics of the population, such as the proportion of each color in the urn. While this specific problem may not have a specific name, it falls under the broader category of "sampling without replacement" problems. I hope this helps in your research!

1. What is the "Have You Seen This Urn Problem"?

The "Have You Seen This Urn Problem" is a mathematical problem that involves probability and sampling. It is often used as an example to explain concepts such as the law of large numbers and the central limit theorem.

2. How does the "Have You Seen This Urn Problem" work?

In the "Have You Seen This Urn Problem", there are two urns, one with red balls and the other with blue balls. A certain number of balls are drawn from each urn, and the colors of the balls are recorded. The goal is to determine the probability of observing a specific combination of ball colors.

3. What are the applications of the "Have You Seen This Urn Problem"?

The "Have You Seen This Urn Problem" has applications in statistics, probability, and data analysis. It can be used to understand the behavior of random samples and to make predictions based on observed data.

4. What are some variations of the "Have You Seen This Urn Problem"?

Some variations of the "Have You Seen This Urn Problem" include using different colors of balls, changing the number of balls in each urn, and altering the sampling method. These variations can help to illustrate different concepts and principles in statistics and probability.

5. How can the "Have You Seen This Urn Problem" be solved?

The "Have You Seen This Urn Problem" can be solved by using mathematical equations and formulas to calculate the probability of a specific outcome. Alternatively, it can also be solved through simulations and experimentation, where the problem is replicated multiple times to observe the frequency of different outcomes.