Having a hard time solving equation for mass of planet

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the calculation of the mass of a planet using real data from the first extrasolar planet discovered. The equation includes variables such as k, m, and P, which can be determined from graphs and conversions. The remaining steps involve solving for the unknown variable using specific values given in the problem. The solution is approximately 9.94744 x 10^26 kilograms.
lancel916
This problem is*using*real*data*of*the*first*extrasolar*planet*discovered*around *a normal*star*to*calculate*the mass of the planet. I am really stumped on this equation.I put it as an attachment because I had a hard time entering it by keyboard. So far I figured out from graphs and conversions what k, m & P are equal to.

k = 62.5 m/s
m = 2.11 x 1030 kg
P = 379440 seconds

But when I get to solving the problem I don’t know where to begin. 62.5 m/s X 2.11 x1030 kg I thought but that's Milliseconds times kilograms. also after that do I change the fraction in parentheses to a decimal and times that by the answer to the beginning part? It is an eight part question and this equation is part 4. If someone could explain how this equation is solved I know I can figure all the other similar equations out. It is an online astronomy class which is why I cannot just go to my instructor and ask. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• mp sin i.jpg
    mp sin i.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 545
Physics news on Phys.org
I had a hard time trying to understand what do you want to find, also can you be more specific about the data that you have? Define k and P please.

Here is a shot of question and graph. I figured out what steps to take but I have some questions on some of them.. I don't know how to calculate to a fractional power like 2/3 or 1/3 power of.

Calculate M^(2/3) = (Result 1)

Multiply K times Result 1 (which calculates K * M^(2/3)) = (Piece A)

Divide P by (4.19 x 10^-10) = (Result 2)

Raise Result 2 to the (1/3) power (which is essentially calculating (P/(4.19 x 10^-10))^(1/3)) = (Piece B)

Multiply: (Piece A)*(Piece B) = K * M^(2/3)*(P/(4.19 x 10^-10))^(1/3)) = mp sin(i)

Attachments

• mass 1.png
    mass 1.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 716
I should have probably given you this information too.

The relationship between the mass of the unseen planet in kilograms, the semiamplitude K in meters per second, and the period P in seconds

This equation can be solved to give mp sin i. (Remember, the mass of the planet is usually expressed in terms of mp sin i because i, the orbital inclination, is often not known. Only if i can be determined will we be able to obtain the planetary mass mp directly.) The mass of the star M can be found in a variety of ways, but that is beyond the scope of this lab. For the exercises that follow, M, P, and K can be read from the Doppler wobble plots.

Im not sure about this, maybe the problem is too easy or i have no idea about what I am doing, but you have one incognit and one ecuation defined in the following way:

[itex]m_p sin i = K M^{2/3} ( \frac{P}{4.19 \times 10^{-10} \frac{Nm^2}{Kg^2} } )^{1/3}[/itex] (1)

Also you have:[itex]K = 62.5 m/s[/itex]

[itex]P = 379440 s[/itex]

[itex]M = 2.11 \times 10^{30} Kg[/itex]

So puting the data in the ecuation (1):

[itex]m_p sin i = (62.5 m/s) (2.11 \times 10^{30} Kg)^{2/3} ( \frac{379440 s}{4.19 \times 10^{-10} \frac{Nm^2}{Kg^2} } )^{1/3}[/itex]

Last edited:
lancel916 said:
Here is a shot of question and graph. I figured out what steps to take but I have some questions on some of them.. I don't know how to calculate to a fractional power like 2/3 or 1/3 power of.

Basically ##x^{\frac{1}{3}} = \sqrt[3]{x}##, and, by the rules of exponents, ##x^{\frac{2}{3}} = (x^2)^{\frac{1}{3}} = \sqrt[3]{x^2}##. However, you don't really need to know these definitions to compute the answer. A scientific calculator or a computer will allow you to calculate the result of any number raised to the power of any other number. That's what you would do here.

By the way, how did you get such specific values for k and P? I mean, glancing at the graph, I immediately see that the period is approx. 100 hrs = 360,000 s. But I don't know how you'd get such a precise value. Same with k. I can see that the radial velocity amplitude is about 60 m/s, by looking at the plot. I don't know how you could eyeball it to a precision of 0.5 m/s when the tick mark spacing is 5 m/s.
lancel916 said:
Calculate M^(2/3) = (Result 1)

Multiply K times Result 1 (which calculates K * M^(2/3)) = (Piece A)

Divide P by (4.19 x 10^-10) = (Result 2)

Raise Result 2 to the (1/3) power (which is essentially calculating (P/(4.19 x 10^-10))^(1/3)) = (Piece B)

Multiply: (Piece A)*(Piece B) = K * M^(2/3)*(P/(4.19 x 10^-10))^(1/3)) = mp sin(i)

Yeah, that sounds about right. Did you have any other specific questions about the computation?

!)("/# said:
Im not sure about this, maybe the problem is too easy or i have no idea about what I am doing, but you have one incognit and one ecuation defined in the following way:

[itex]m_p sin i = K M^{2/3} ( \frac{P}{4.19 \times 10^{-10} \frac{Nm^2}{Kg^2} } )^{1/3}[/itex] (1)

Also you have:

[itex]K = 62.5 m/s[/itex]

[itex]P = 379440 s[/itex]

[itex]M = 2.11 \times 10^{30} Kg[/itex]

So puting the data in the ecuation (1):

[itex]m_p sin i = (62.5 m/s) (2.11 \times 10^{30} Kg)^{2/3} ( \frac{379440 s}{4.19 \times 10^{-10} \frac{Nm^2}{Kg^2} } )^{1/3}[/itex]

The solution i got using Wolfram Mathematica is:

[itex]m_p sin i \approx 9.94744 \times 10^{26} Kg[/itex]

That after all seems to be "coherent".

Also for the second item the only thing you have to do is to get the result divided with the mass of jupiter. I got:

[itex]m_p sin i = 0.52355 M_j[/itex]

Please read the site rules. We don't provide complete solutions to homework problems on this site.

cepheid said:
Please read the site rules. We don't provide complete solutions to homework problems on this site.

I'm sorry for the inconviniences. I will edit my post.

When you click on the graph it tells you the specifics of where you click. you just have to click within a margin of what they want. which I missed on K. K actually equals 55 m/s. Luckily they let you keep trying till you get it right or give up and submit it. So I just have to rework the problem and it should be right.

1. How do I determine the mass of a planet using equations?

To determine the mass of a planet, you can use the equation M = gR²/G, where M is the mass of the planet, g is the gravitational constant, R is the radius of the planet, and G is the universal gravitational constant. This equation is known as the Newtonian form of the law of gravitation.

2. What is the significance of solving for the mass of a planet?

Solving for the mass of a planet is important in understanding the planet's gravitational pull and its overall composition. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the dynamics of the planet's orbit and its interactions with other celestial bodies.

3. What are the factors that affect the accuracy of the equation for determining the mass of a planet?

The accuracy of the equation for determining the mass of a planet can be affected by factors such as the precision of the measurements used for the planet's radius and gravitational constant, as well as any external influences that may affect the planet's gravitational pull, such as nearby celestial bodies.

4. Can the equation for determining the mass of a planet be applied to all planets?

The equation M = gR²/G is a simplified version of the law of gravitation and is most accurate for spherical, non-rotating planets. It can be applied to most planets in our solar system, but may not be as accurate for planets with irregular shapes or high rotational speeds.

5. Are there any alternative methods for determining the mass of a planet?

Apart from the equation M = gR²/G, there are other methods for determining the mass of a planet, such as using the planet's orbital period and distance from its star, or analyzing the planet's effect on the orbits of other celestial bodies. These methods may be more accurate for certain types of planets and can provide a cross-check for the results obtained from the equation.