Having some issues deriving internal force functions for a section.

In summary: I can't believe I botched that up. When you first calculated the reaction forces, did you check them by (say) taking moments about some axis not already used? You should show us all your working.
Bill Nye Tho

Homework Statement

I have a 13 foot long beam supported by a pin at x = 0 feet and a roller at x = 9 feet.

There is a triangular distributed load of 50 lb/ft from 0 ft to 9 ft. (Increasing as it approaches 9 ft)

At the end of the beam there is a moment of 200 lb-ft counter-clockwise.

Homework Equations

ƩFx = 0
ƩFy=0
ƩMr = 200 lb-ft

Vertical Force at Pin: 52.78 lbs upward
Vertical Force at Roller: 172.22 lbs upward
Normal Force = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first section, it seems my equations are correct;

0 < x < 9:

Shear: -.5(50/9)x^2 + 52.78
Bending: -.5(50/9)x^3/3 + 52.78x----

This is where I'm having an issue with my Bending equation;

9 < x < 13:

Shear: -225 + 52.78 + 172.22
Bending: 52.78x + 172.22(x-9) - 225(x-3)-----At exactly 9 feet, both bending functions should give a bending moment of -200 lb-ft but for some reason, I can't seem to get that answer with the second one. I tried to rework this function a few times but it's not happening.

Physics news on Phys.org
The applied couple (200 ft-lb) at the end of the beam (x = 13 ft) means there is a jump in the bending moment value at this location. However, for x > 9, there is zero shear. In your equations above, it's not clear what the factor (x-3) means, since the beam is 13 feet long and the right support occurs at x = 9 ft.

SteamKing said:
The applied couple (200 ft-lb) at the end of the beam (x = 13 ft) means there is a jump in the bending moment value at this location. However, for x > 9, there is zero shear. In your equations above, it's not clear what the factor (x-3) means, since the beam is 13 feet long and the right support occurs at x = 9 ft.

(x-3) is the distance of the resultant force (225 lbs) from the distributed load at any given point between 9 and 13 feet. <---- I think this is my problem. It makes no sense.

Since there is 0 shear after 9 feet, I'm just getting that the bending moment should be -200 lb-ft from 9 feet to 13 feet. This equation is not reflecting that though and I'm trying to figure out where I made my mistake. :(

Last edited:
I think I got it... I need some sleep

Bending Function: 52.78x + 172.22(x-9) - 225(x/3)

No ... I don't know what you mean by 225(x/3).

Also, what is 13 - 9 = ?

SteamKing said:
No ... I don't know what you mean by 225(x/3).

Also, what is 13 - 9 = ?

4, I can't believe I botched that up.

When you first calculated the reaction forces, did you check them by (say) taking moments about some axis not already used? You should show us all your working.

1. What are internal force functions for a section?

Internal force functions for a section refer to the mathematical equations that describe the internal forces (such as shear, bending, and axial forces) acting within a specific section of a structural element, such as a beam or column.

2. Why is it important to derive internal force functions for a section?

Deriving internal force functions for a section is important because it allows us to analyze and predict the structural behavior of a component. This information is crucial in determining the design and stability of a structure.

3. What types of issues can arise when deriving internal force functions for a section?

Some common issues that can arise when deriving internal force functions for a section include incorrect boundary conditions, errors in calculations, and assumptions that do not accurately represent the actual structural behavior.

4. How can these issues be resolved?

To resolve issues with deriving internal force functions, it is important to carefully review all assumptions and calculations, double-check boundary conditions, and seek input and feedback from other experts in the field.

5. Are there any software programs that can assist in deriving internal force functions for a section?

Yes, there are several software programs available that can assist in the derivation of internal force functions for a section. These programs use advanced mathematical algorithms and numerical methods to accurately calculate and analyze the internal forces acting within a structure.