Having trouble combing through PDG's site

In summary, Einj is looking for a way to combine all the information from the PDG website about subatomic particles into one spreadsheet. He is not sure if it can be done or if anyone knows of a solution.
zubair
Hey Folks,
I wanted to put together a single spreadsheet of subatomic particles (e-, ν, b, t, π Ξ, Σ, Δ, etc.) and their properties that have been measured (mass, mean lifetime, valence quark content, charge, spin, parity, etc.). I have been looking through the PDG website for some way to extract all the individual data sheets into one but to no avail. It could be comma-separated plain text, or an excel file.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to combine all this information or if it has been done where to look for it?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Short of data mining pdgLive (they might object to that ...) or doing it by hand I am not aware of any solution.

Why do you need it in a spreadsheet when it is all there? It would be a pretty large spreadsheet ...

Funny you say data mining! I wanted to put all the information together and see if I can run some clustering algorithms from an analytic package and show how all the particles form groups in some parameter space. I want to it to serve as a proof of concept more than anything.

This is just an idea and I'm not sure if it might work but Monte Carlo algorithms like JETSET and PYTHIA have access to a list of all the main properties of the known particles (they share that list with the PDG). Maybe if you look at what's hardcoded inside you can find somethig useful.

Thank you Einj. I'm checking out Pythia now and it looks promising. If it doesn't provide everything I need, it will still be a great starting point.

Do you want more info than : http://pdg.lbl.gov/2014/mcdata/mass_width_2014.mcd

Which is found on the page http://pdg.lbl.gov/2014/html/computer_read.html
under "Tables of particle information"

By no means comprehensive, but maybe it has what you need? It took me a while to find it, though now it seems obvious. A few years ago I had stumbled on it and it was quite useful.

Whats funny is I think the older versions DID have quark content, I vaguely remember. Or maybe I did that myself.ADDITIONALLY!
If you have mathematica you can use the Particle Data stuff to get your lists. I know it pulls from the PDG amongst other sources, though I don't know which year.

http://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/ParticleData.htmlSo Something like
Code:
tmp = Table[
    ParticleData[X, INFO], {X,
     ParticleData[All]}, {INFO, {"Symbol", "Mass", "Charge",
      "Lifetime", "QuarkContent", "Width"}}] [SIZE=4]// TableForm
[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Hepth, I don't even know what to say to you. This makes my life so much easier! Thank you so much for the mathematica idea.

You're the best!

zubair said:
Hepth, I don't even know what to say to you. This makes my life so much easier! Thank you so much for the mathematica idea.

You're the best!
No problem! i wish i had seen it soonera!

Here's a copy of the file I put together in case anyone else ever needs something like this.

Attachments

• ParticleProperties.zip
    44.8 KB · Views: 256

What is the PDG's site?

The PDG's site refers to the website of the Particle Data Group (PDG), which is a collaboration of particle physicists from around the world who are responsible for maintaining and updating the Particle Physics Book, also known as the PDG Review of Particle Physics.

Why am I having trouble combing through the PDG's site?

The PDG's site contains a vast amount of information, including data, tables, and references related to particle physics. This can make it challenging to navigate and find specific information quickly.

What is the best way to search for information on the PDG's site?

The best way to search for information on the PDG's site is to use the search bar at the top of the homepage. You can also use the table of contents or the index to browse through specific sections of the site.

How often is the PDG's site updated?

The PDG's site is updated continuously as new data and research are published. However, major updates to the PDG Review of Particle Physics are released every two years.

Is there a way to contact the PDG for help with navigating their site?

Yes, there is a contact page on the PDG's site where you can find information on how to reach out to the PDG for assistance. You can also join their mailing list to stay updated on new developments and releases.