Having trouble forming an equation on 2 bit subtractor

In summary, the conversation is about creating a subtractor circuit with a 2 bit, 2 input data. The equation for the circuit is A1A0 - B1B0, which will result in a 3 bit output with one borrow. The individual has been struggling with forming the equation and has tried building the circuit on a breadboard with help from another person's diagram, but is still getting an erroneous result. They are looking for assistance with the truth table and K-maps for the subtractor.
AilingLore21

Homework Statement

We are asked to make a subtractor circuit which has a 2 bit, 2 input data.

Homework Equations

A1A0

_

B1B0

The Attempt at a Solution

I would have a 3 bit output with one borrow. The problem is I am stuck at this point and am having troubles forming an equation. Someone lent me their diagram and this is what I have

PeivRyS.png

I have tried building this on the breadboard but it gives off an erroneous result at the 7 segment cathode with the ls48 decoder for the 4th time I assembled this. It only gives off 0 and 4 at the LED matrix when it should be 3,2,1,0. The upper LED is the rightmost bit while the third led is the third bit

Physics news on Phys.org
AilingLore21 said:

Homework Statement

We are asked to make a subtractor circuit which has a 2 bit, 2 input data.

Homework Equations

A1A0

_

B1B0

The Attempt at a Solution

I would have a 3 bit output with one borrow. The problem is I am stuck at this point and am having troubles forming an equation. Someone lent me their diagram and this is what I have

PeivRyS.png

I have tried building this on the breadboard but it gives off an erroneous result at the 7 segment cathode with the ls48 decoder for the 4th time I assembled this. It only gives off 0 and 4 at the LED matrix when it should be 3,2,1,0. The upper LED is the rightmost bit while the third led is the third bit
Can you show us the truth table for the subtractor? And the K-maps that correspond to each of the outputs?

1. What is a 2 bit subtractor?

A 2 bit subtractor is a digital circuit that performs subtraction on two binary numbers of two bits each. It is commonly used in computer arithmetic to perform mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. Why am I having trouble forming an equation for a 2 bit subtractor?

Forming an equation for a 2 bit subtractor can be challenging because it involves understanding binary number representation and the logic gates used in digital circuits. It requires a thorough understanding of Boolean algebra and circuit design principles.

3. What are the main components of a 2 bit subtractor circuit?

The main components of a 2 bit subtractor circuit include two input wires, two output wires, and three logic gates - two XOR gates and one AND gate. The two input wires carry the two binary numbers to be subtracted, and the output wires carry the result of the subtraction.

4. How do I form an equation for a 2 bit subtractor?

To form an equation for a 2 bit subtractor, you need to understand the logic behind subtraction in binary numbers. This involves using Boolean algebra to manipulate the inputs and outputs of the XOR and AND gates. You can also use Karnaugh maps to simplify the final equation.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when forming an equation for a 2 bit subtractor?

Some common mistakes when forming an equation for a 2 bit subtractor include forgetting to carry over the borrow bit, not considering the carry out bit, and incorrect placement of the inputs and outputs in the circuit. It is important to double-check your work and use logic to ensure the equation is correct.