Hawking, new theory on information paradox right or qwrong?

In summary, Stephen Hawking has recently proposed an amendment to his 30-year-old theory of black holes and the information paradox, which has been challenged by his critics. According to Hawking, the information lost in black holes is offset by being retained in an infinite number of alternate universes without black holes. However, some argue that this does not solve the issue of information loss overall. Hawking also addresses the question of what kind of information is lost and whether it truly matters in the grand scheme of the universe. Ultimately, until a unified field theory is discovered, all we can do is speculate on the fate of information in black holes.
berty
Hawking, new theory on information paradox right or wrong?

Does anyone have any views on Stephen Hawking amendment to his 30 year old theory of black holes and the *information paradox that was recently challenged?

Once past the event horizon information is lost forever and only the energy emitted during the tearing apart of matter at the event horizon escapes in the form of high energy particles such as X rays, gamma rays etc. When the black hole evaporates the information inside is lost to the Universe. According to his critics, this violates the first law of thermodynamics and therefore cannot be true.

He now apparently states that his theory is still true in our Universe; however, the information lost is offset by information being retained in a sufficiently large number of the infinite alternate Universes where no black holes exist.
This seems to me to be a bit of a rushed and unconvincing rebuff for one reason in particular.
Unless some of the alternative Universes produce extra information, it doesn’t matter how many there are as there will still be a net loss of information overall.
Another point is; what kind of information is lost?
If it is simply the description of how common particles, atoms and molecules are constructed and behave, then does it matter if this information is lost?
After all the information is duplicated in every other identical particle, atom and molecule throughout the Universe.
Or is because eventually entropy, time and the proliferation of black holes will cause the loss of every shred of information?
Does this really matter as when entropy reaches its maximum, the Universe will cease to exist along with all information of whatever origin?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Universe will never cease to exist, It will simply be converted from one form to another. One huge recycling center awaits us all.

Until there is a unified field theory, I think all we can do at most is speculate.

berty said:
He now apparently states that his theory is still true in our Universe; however, the information lost is offset by information being retained in a sufficiently large number of the infinite alternate Universes where no black holes exist.
Where did you get that from? That isn't the view I got from reading this paper, in which Hawking states:
The information remains firmly in our universe. I'm sorry to disappoint science fiction fans, but if information is preserved, there is no possibility of using black holes to travel to other universes.
(I got this quote from one of my blog postings a few months back. Arxiv seems to be down right now, so I can't check the paper to be sure, but I think the quote was on page 5.)

Last edited:

1. What is the information paradox?

The information paradox is a puzzle in physics that arises from the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity. It refers to the idea that information should not be lost in a black hole, but according to the laws of physics, it seems as though it does.

2. What is Stephen Hawking's new theory on the information paradox?

Hawking's new theory, proposed in 2014, suggests that information is not actually lost in a black hole, but is instead trapped in a two-dimensional hologram on the surface of the black hole's event horizon. This theory is still being researched and debated among physicists.

3. Is Hawking's new theory on the information paradox widely accepted?

No, Hawking's theory is still considered a controversial idea and is not yet widely accepted by the scientific community. Many physicists are still working on understanding and finding a solution to the information paradox.

4. Can Hawking's new theory be proven?

At this point, there is no conclusive evidence or experimental data to prove or disprove Hawking's theory. However, scientists are actively working on experiments and observations that may provide evidence for or against this theory.

5. How does Hawking's new theory impact our understanding of black holes?

If Hawking's theory is proven to be true, it would significantly change our understanding of black holes and how they work. It would also have implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics, such as the conservation of information and the nature of space and time.