Haynes manual wiring schematic is confusing the....

That's right, the spark plug is designated as "SP" on the diagram.In summary, the conversation is about the frustration of understanding a wiring diagram for a motorbike. The speaker is confused about the symbols and codes used and is seeking clarification on the purpose of certain components and wires. They are also unsure about the colors of the wires and the placement of the spark plug in the diagram. The conversation ends with the suggestion to look at a different motorbike's diagram for reference.
Hondaboi1729
hell out of me :( please help:

I have a Haynes manual for my motorbike and am trying to make sense of the wiring diagram but it's really annoying me why there are no legends apart from the wiring, no explanations of the tables etc,
Every paragraph is referring to the image directly above it:

1.jpg

1) In the above The components in the greyed out boxes the circuit symbol with parallel lines- what exactly are please and what does it do. Those things are there at the start of every wire to every component so they must be important. surely not a capacitor- why an Earth would there be a capacitor on every single wire right after every component
confused.gif
It just makes no sense...

2.jpg

2) In the above :There's also the other kind of greyed out box: The one with the circuit symbol with the
curvy arrow thing- that one doesn't look familar at all...

3.jpg

3) In the tables again no explanation: BAT, IG,S, W, N, The white unfilled circles with lines connecting them in the table boxes. R and L in turn signal box obviously means right and left... that's about all I can gauge in this annoying schematic. lock, free, push...

4.jpg

more :oldconfused:

5.jpg

4) with the colour coded wires- are these the actual colours of the wires in real life?

6.jpg

5) Finally, and possibly most confusing of all there's a huge box with numbered terminals 1-20 and wires coming out from each. Have no idea what this box is: could someone enlighten me please?

cheers...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hondaboi1729 said:
1) In the above The components in the greyed out boxes the circuit symbol with parallel lines- what exactly are please and what does it do.
A multi way connector block.

Hondaboi1729 said:
2) In the above :There's also the other kind of greyed out box: The one with the circuit symbol with the curvy arrow thing- that one doesn't look familar at all...
Probably a pair of bullet connectors.

Hondaboi1729 said:
3) In the tables again no explanation: BAT, IG,S, W, N,
When the operation in the left column is active, the connections inside the switch is shown in that row. Wires are listed across the top.

Hondaboi1729 said:
4) with the colour coded wires- are these the actual colours of the wires in real life?
Colours are close, but some are striped which I can't see in your pix.

Hondaboi1729 said:
5) Finally, and possibly most confusing of all there's a huge box with numbered terminals 1-20 and wires coming out from each. Have no idea what this box is: could someone enlighten me please?
See word below the box. It is the instrument panel. The instrument panel internals will probably be shown on another diagram.

Likes Asymptotic and Hondaboi1729
Oh for the striped I think B/G means Blue and green striped wire etc...
No other diagrams sadly :( So have no idea what 1-20 are- in the small owners manual i only count 13 functions: speedo,tacho etc... which leaves me :oldconfused: but I'll call the honda dealer and ask...
As for the rest thank you for helping me understand :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hondaboi1729 said:
Oh for the striped I think B/G means Blue and green striped wire
B is black, B/G is black with a green trace. BL or U is blue. See the color code chart.

Likes Hondaboi1729
Sweet-In the wiring diagram I don't see a spark plug anywhere- is this unusual?

Hondaboi1729 said:
I don't see a spark plug anywhere- is this unusual?
The spark plug is connected to the ignition coil, on the diagram between the oxygen sensor and injector. The engine stop switch will break the current from the battery to the ignition circuit, probably ignition coil positive. The spark plug may be shown simply as an arrow towards chassis at one end of the IGN COIL.

See;
http://mototh.com/files/honda/CRF250L/Honda-CRF250L-Wiring-Diagram-EN.pdf

Last edited:
Hondaboi1729 said:
Sweet-In the wiring diagram I don't see a spark plug anywhere- is this unusual?

well you didn't show us all the circuit for your bike only bits of it so we cannot see where the spark plug is ??

Baluncore has posted a pdf file you can open and enlarge and see a circuit schematic of another motorbike ( they will all be kinda similar with just manufacturing details)
As Baluncore said, you will see the sparkplug designated as such along the lower part of the diagram just to the right of centre
Dave

1. What are common causes of confusion when using a Haynes manual wiring schematic?

Common causes of confusion when using a Haynes manual wiring schematic include incorrect labeling or numbering of wires, missing or incorrect information, and differences between the schematic and the actual vehicle.

2. How can I ensure I am using the correct wiring schematic for my vehicle?

It is important to double check the model and year of your vehicle when using a Haynes manual wiring schematic. If you are still unsure, you can consult the manufacturer's manual or contact a professional mechanic for assistance.

3. Are there any tips for understanding a Haynes manual wiring schematic?

One tip is to carefully study the legend or key that explains the symbols and abbreviations used in the schematic. It may also be helpful to have a basic understanding of electrical circuits and how they work.

4. Can I make any changes to the wiring based on the schematic?

It is not recommended to make any changes to the wiring based on the schematic unless you have a thorough understanding of electrical systems and have the proper tools and equipment to do so. It is best to consult a professional mechanic for any modifications.

5. What should I do if I am still unsure about the wiring schematic?

If you are still unsure about the wiring schematic, it is best to seek assistance from a professional mechanic. They will have the expertise and experience to correctly interpret the schematic and ensure proper wiring for your vehicle.