Hazard levels for pressure vessels with internal bladders

In summary, the conversation discusses the classification and regulation of pressure vessels in Australia and the US. The Australian system is based on a German one, while the US has the ASME boiler and pressure vessel code, with inspections varying by state. Risk assessment is limited and dependent on the category of the pressure vessel.
LT Judd
TL;DR Summary
What is the US system for classifying pressure vessels to determine hazard levels and required level of design and inspection oversight.
Hi , I am based in Australia and my question originates from some grey areas in the Australian system of classifying pressure vessels. I am guessing most users on this forum are US based . Does the US have a system for classifying pressure vessels such as air receivers , boilers, autoclaves, heat exchangers etc. to determine what level of inspection and design review is required?. If so could some one briefly describe it. From what I have seen on the web it looks like you don't have a general standard , but different standards depending on the industry and application. I am interested particularly in the case of water buffer tanks and accumulators that have a bladder inside them filled with nitrogen and how they are considered in terms of risk and hazard.
The Australian system is, I think, based on a German one in which you start with a pressure X volume figure ( MpA x Litres) and then mutiple by 3 different service factors to get a hazard number. The hazard numbers are then divided into five different bands (Logarithmically) which call out different requirements involving design, verification inspection and operation.

Engineering news on Phys.org
We have ASME boiler and pressure vessel code, but inspections are a state (or insurance) thing. I live in Pennsylvania and we have our own PVC that sits over top of ASME for administration.

It seems to me that risk assessment is limited; the codes are prescriptive and you just find what category yours is in (unfired pressure vessel).

https://www.dli.pa.gov/Individuals/...ges/Boilers-and-Unfired-Pressure-Vessels.aspx

• Informative
Likes anorlunda

1. What are the different hazard levels for pressure vessels with internal bladders?

There are four hazard levels for pressure vessels with internal bladders: low, medium, high, and very high. These levels are determined based on the potential danger posed by the contents of the vessel in the event of a failure or rupture.

2. How are hazard levels for pressure vessels with internal bladders determined?

The hazard level for a pressure vessel with an internal bladder is determined by considering factors such as the type of material the vessel is made of, the contents of the vessel, and the operating pressure and temperature. The higher the potential danger of the contents, the higher the hazard level will be.

3. What is the purpose of assigning hazard levels to pressure vessels with internal bladders?

The purpose of assigning hazard levels to pressure vessels with internal bladders is to ensure that appropriate safety measures are taken during the design, construction, and operation of the vessel. This helps to minimize the risk of accidents and protect both the equipment and individuals working with or near the vessel.

4. Are there any regulations or standards for hazard levels of pressure vessels with internal bladders?

Yes, there are regulations and standards that outline the requirements for hazard levels of pressure vessels with internal bladders. These include the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, the European Pressure Equipment Directive (PED), and various national and international standards.

5. Can a pressure vessel with an internal bladder have its hazard level changed?

Yes, the hazard level of a pressure vessel with an internal bladder can be changed if the contents of the vessel are modified or if the operating conditions are altered. However, any changes must be carefully evaluated and approved by qualified personnel to ensure that the vessel remains safe and compliant with regulations and standards.