Head Calculation of a hot water circulating pump

In summary: Can you please clarify?In summary, the hot water system includes a water heater with a pressurized cold water inlet and a re-circulation line connected to the farthest fixture. When calculating pump head, only the pressure drop in the re-circulation line needs to be considered, as the supply line is already pressurized and the pump's role is to circulate water back to the heater. A system diagram showing the point of known pressure would be helpful. The pump head is only a function of the flow rate through the pump, and the system pressure decreases from the point of known pressure to the pump suction, increases by the pump head, and then decreases again to the point where the supply line connects. As for leaving
tj00343
Hello,
I have the following hot water system. I have a water heater with a pressurized cold water inlet. A re circulation line is taken near the farthest fixture passed through a circulating pump and back to the heater inlet. When calculating pump head, do I calculate pressure drop in the entire circuit (Supply and Return )or through the return line only. I was thinking since the supply line is already pressurized and the pump is to provide enough pressure to circulate water back to the heater. Also do I leave any residual pressure at the heater.
Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
A system diagram that shows the entire system would be very helpful. Show the point of known pressure.

The pump head is only a function of the flow rate through the pump. System head loss calculations include everything that the water flows through, from the pump outlet around to the pump inlet. The point where the supply line connects is your point of known pressure. The system pressure decreases from there to the pump suction, increases by the pump head, then decreases from the pump discharge around to the point where the supply line connects.

tj00343 said:
Hello,
I have the following hot water system. I have a water heater with a pressurized cold water inlet. A re circulation line is taken near the farthest fixture passed through a circulating pump and back to the heater inlet. When calculating pump head, do I calculate pressure drop in the entire circuit (Supply and Return )or through the return line only. I was thinking since the supply line is already pressurized and the pump is to provide enough pressure to circulate water back to the heater.
Yes, you just need the loss in the re-circulation line.
Also do I leave any residual pressure at the heater.
I don't understand what you mean by that.

1. What is head calculation and why is it important for a hot water circulating pump?

Head calculation refers to the process of determining the total amount of pressure required to move water through a pump system. For a hot water circulating pump, it is important to accurately calculate the head in order to ensure that the pump can efficiently circulate hot water throughout a building or system.

2. How is head calculated for a hot water circulating pump?

The head of a hot water circulating pump is calculated by adding together the static head, friction head, and velocity head. The static head is the vertical distance between the pump and the highest point of the system, while the friction head is the resistance caused by the flow of water through pipes and fittings. The velocity head takes into account the speed of the water as it moves through the system.

3. What factors can affect the head calculation of a hot water circulating pump?

The head calculation can be affected by several factors, including the size and length of the pipes, the type of fittings used, the flow rate of the water, and the vertical distance the water needs to be pumped. It is important to accurately measure and account for these factors in order to get an accurate head calculation.

4. Is it possible to have too much head in a hot water circulating pump?

Yes, it is possible to have too much head in a hot water circulating pump. If the head is too high, it can cause excessive strain on the pump and motor, leading to premature wear and potential damage. It is important to carefully calculate and adjust the head to ensure that it is within the recommended range for the specific pump and system.

5. Can the head calculation be used to determine the efficiency of a hot water circulating pump?

Yes, the head calculation can be used to determine the efficiency of a hot water circulating pump. A higher head calculation typically means that the pump is working harder and using more energy to move the water through the system. By accurately calculating and monitoring the head, adjustments can be made to improve the efficiency of the pump and save energy.