Head on collision between mirror image vehicles

In summary, the discussion was about whether the force exerted on each vehicle in a mirror image collision at 65mph is equal to 130mph or 65mph. It was concluded that each vehicle experiences a force equal to hitting a non-elastic wall at 65mph, as the total force of 130mph is spread over the two vehicles. The language used may not be precise, but the reason for the equal forces is due to the same deceleration. This was also tested in a mythbusters episode, which confirmed the equal force of each vehicle hitting a wall at their respective speeds.
cimmee
I have a question and I would like some help.

Assuming mirror image vehicles hitting at 65mph. Is the force exacted on each vehicle equal to 130mph or 65 mph. My assumption is that it would be the same as hitting an inelastic brick wall..

Thank ya'll in advance..

Science news on Phys.org
Each vehicle experiences a force equal to hitting a non-elastic wall at 65 mph. The reason is that, even though the total force for the collision is 130 MPH, it is spread over the 2 vehicles.

Drakkith said:
The reason is that, even though the total force for the collision is 130 MPH, it is spread over the 2 vehicles.
Force is not measured in MPH. Force is also not "spread" (maybe you mean energy).

The reason for "same forces" is simple: same (de)acceleration.

I had a conversation with a dolt that attempted to tell me that the mirror image crash caused 130mph worth of damage to both vehicles.

And yes I know the language is not precise.

Feel free to correct me, I would like to know the correct terms. I golf with a physics prof on occasion.

A.T. said:
Force is not measured in MPH. Force is also not "spread" (maybe you mean energy).

The reason for "same forces" is simple: same (de)acceleration.

Yes. That is what I meant.

Also, there was a mythbusters episode that tested this. The result was that the collision is equal to each vehicle hitting a wall at the speed they were going.

1. What is a head on collision between mirror image vehicles?

A head on collision between mirror image vehicles occurs when two vehicles travelling in opposite directions crash into each other with their frontal sides facing each other. This means that the two vehicles are exact mirror images of each other.

2. What causes a head on collision between mirror image vehicles?

A head on collision between mirror image vehicles can be caused by a variety of factors including driver error, distracted driving, adverse weather conditions, and mechanical failures. It can also occur when a driver attempts to overtake another vehicle and misjudges the distance, resulting in a collision.

3. How severe are head on collisions between mirror image vehicles?

Head on collisions between mirror image vehicles can be extremely severe and often result in serious injuries or fatalities. This is because the impact forces are doubled, as both vehicles are travelling at high speeds and crash into each other with the same force.

4. How can head on collisions between mirror image vehicles be prevented?

To prevent head on collisions between mirror image vehicles, drivers should always remain alert and focused while driving, avoid distractions such as texting or using a phone, and follow traffic laws and signals. It is also important to maintain a safe distance from other vehicles and avoid risky overtaking maneuvers.

5. What are the possible outcomes of a head on collision between mirror image vehicles?

The outcomes of a head on collision between mirror image vehicles can vary depending on the speed and force of the impact, the type of vehicles involved, and the use of safety features such as seatbelts and airbags. In some cases, it may result in minor injuries, while in others, it can lead to catastrophic injuries or death.