Two-dimensional perfectly inelastic collision between two vehicles

In summary, the two vehicles had a collision, and the truck's momentum (vector) was reduced by 4.77 × 10^5 j.
Lone Wolf
Homework Statement
A truck with mass 7.5 ton moving at a speed of 65 km/h in the west-east direction, collides with a car of mass 1100 kg moving from north to south at a speed of 93 km/h. After the collision, both vehicles move together.
a) What is the speed and direction of motion of the two vehicles after the collision?
b) How much energy is dissipated in the collision?
Relevant Equations
Conservation of linear momentum equation: m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1f + m2v2f
Kinetic energy equation: 1/2 mv²
a) Let m be the vehicle's mass, M the truck's mass, vt the truck's speed, vc the car's speed, vf the final speed, θ the angle both vehicles make with the horizontal axis (west-east direction) after the collision.
Conservation of linear momentum:
In the x direction: M vt = (m + M) vf cos(θ)
In the y direction (I considered the positive direction from south to north): - m vc = (m + M) vf sin(θ)
Solving the system for θ:
θ= arctan( (-m vc)/(M vt) ) = ( (-1.1*93)/(7.5*65) ) = -11.85°
Solving for vf:
vf = (M vt)/((m + M) cos (θ)) = (7.5 * 65)/( (7.5 + 1.1)*cos(-11.85°) ) = 57.9 km/h
So the speed of the vehicles would be 57.9 km/h with the direction 11.85° below the horizontal axis.

b) ΔK = Kf - Ki = [(7.5 + 1.1)*1e3 * (57.9e3/3600)² - 7.5e3 * (65e3/3600)² - 1.1e3 * (95e3/3600)²]/2 = - 4,77 × 10^5 J
So 4,77 × 10^5 J were dissipated with the collision

The solutions given are:
a) 48.9 km/h, 55°
b) 0.8 × 10^6 J

I've tried doing this problem twice now and I always get the same result. Please help me find my error. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I confirm your results.

Likes Lone Wolf
Chestermiller said:
I confirm your results.
Thank you for taking your time. I appreciate it!

Lone Wolf said:
Problem Statement: A truck with mass 7.5 ton moving at a speed of 65 km/h in the west-east direction, collides with a car of mass 1100 kg moving from north to south at a speed of 93 km/h. After the collision, both vehicles move together.
a) What is the speed and direction of motion of the two vehicles after the collision?
b) How much energy is dissipated in the collision?
Relevant Equations: Conservation of linear momentum equation: m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1f + m2v2f
Kinetic energy equation: 1/2 mv²

a) Let m be the vehicle's mass, M the truck's mass, vt the truck's speed, vc the car's speed, vf the final speed, θ the angle both vehicles make with the horizontal axis (west-east direction) after the collision.
Conservation of linear momentum:
In the x direction: M vt = (m + M) vf cos(θ)
In the y direction (I considered the positive direction from south to north): - m vc = (m + M) vf sin(θ)
Solving the system for θ:
θ= arctan( (-m vc)/(M vt) ) = ( (-1.1*93)/(7.5*65) ) = -11.85°
Solving for vf:
vf = (M vt)/((m + M) cos (θ)) = (7.5 * 65)/( (7.5 + 1.1)*cos(-11.85°) ) = 57.9 km/h
So the speed of the vehicles would be 57.9 km/h with the direction 11.85° below the horizontal axis.

b) ΔK = Kf - Ki = [(7.5 + 1.1)*1e3 * (57.9e3/3600)² - 7.5e3 * (65e3/3600)² - 1.1e3 * (95e3/3600)²]/2 = - 4,77 × 10^5 J
So 4,77 × 10^5 J were dissipated with the collision

The solutions given are:
a) 48.9 km/h, 55°
b) 0.8 × 10^6 J

I've tried doing this problem twice now and I always get the same result. Please help me find my error. Thanks.

Here's an interesting idea using momentum as a vector. Conservation of momentum means it's the same before and after the collision. So, you could have calculated the total momentum of the system before the collision. Let's use ##\vec{p}## for momentum.

##(M+m)\vec{v_f} = \vec{p_f} = \vec{p_i} = (Mv_t, mv_c)##

So, all the information about the magnitude and direction of the final momentum is already all there in the initial velocities and masses of the vehicles.

To get the final velocity, you can just divide this by the combined mass ##M+m##. And you can just read off the tangent of the angle ##\theta##, which is also the same before and after.

Likes Lone Wolf

What is a two-dimensional perfectly inelastic collision between two vehicles?

A two-dimensional perfectly inelastic collision between two vehicles is a type of collision where two vehicles collide and stick together after the impact, resulting in a single combined mass. This type of collision is also known as a completely inelastic collision.

What factors affect the outcome of a two-dimensional perfectly inelastic collision between two vehicles?

The outcome of a two-dimensional perfectly inelastic collision between two vehicles is affected by factors such as the mass, velocity, and angle of collision of the vehicles. The type and condition of the vehicles, as well as the surface on which the collision occurs, can also play a role.

How is the momentum conserved in a two-dimensional perfectly inelastic collision between two vehicles?

In a two-dimensional perfectly inelastic collision between two vehicles, the total momentum of the system before and after the collision remains the same. This means that the combined mass of the two vehicles multiplied by their combined velocity before the collision is equal to the combined mass of the vehicles after the collision multiplied by their combined velocity.

What is the difference between a two-dimensional perfectly inelastic collision and an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the two objects bounce off each other after the impact and the total kinetic energy remains the same. In a two-dimensional perfectly inelastic collision, the objects stick together and the total kinetic energy decreases due to the loss of energy during the collision.

How can the outcome of a two-dimensional perfectly inelastic collision between two vehicles be predicted?

The outcome of a two-dimensional perfectly inelastic collision between two vehicles can be predicted using equations that take into account the mass, velocity, and angle of collision of the vehicles. These equations can be solved to determine the final velocity and direction of the combined mass after the collision.