Health Problems: Who Has Had Serious Issues?

• Thread starter tumor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Health
In summary, the conversation revolved around sharing personal health issues and discussing the origins of Thanksgiving in the United States and Canada. Some individuals expressed their discomfort with discussing health problems, while others felt it was important to have open discussions about them. The conversation also touched on the topic of scars and their perceived attractiveness.
Born 100% pigeon toed, at age 1 my legs were purposely broken and set straight. From there, flat feet, bad knees, bad back, chronically stiff neck, carpel tunnel, diabetes problems, psoriasis, two tumors removed, one pilonidal cyst the size of a softball removed[500 stitches], chronic ear infections that have damaged my hearing, severe grass allergies which are swell here in the grass capitol of the US. I have a double deviated septum which always leaves me slightly plugged up and prone to nose bleeds, though they have stopped in recent years. The icing on the cake is the chronic reflux esophagitis which goes well with my lifelong problem with insomnia. I have also hit the ground at speeds in excess of sixty miles an hour a few times [dirt bikes] but always walked away; torn and tattered but functional. In short, a whole bunch of nuisance stuff but nothing really serious. The one tumor in my chest was deemed pre-malignant but thanks to Tsu it went no further. Funny thing is, I hardly ever see the doctor and I generally feel pretty good. I can also outwork the best of them; not physical tasks but I can still work back to back 36 hour shifts. Weird huh. I sound a lot more broken down than I feel.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah. Ivan's kind of a train wreck! :smile: But he's MY train wreck! :!) :!) :biggrin:

May his caboose never derail…

I've never had many serious health problems. The only two I can think of is I had to have a basal cell carcinoma removed. Not only does Colorado have great skiing, hiking, and river running, it's thin atmosphere makes it the skin cancer capital of the US. And, I've spent a lot of time outdoors, between running cross country and working construction in my younger years and, more recently, mountain sports and refereeing soccer.

I also think I suffered nerve damage in my right index finger. I stuck my hand into a lawn mower and split my fingertip to the bone as a teenager. It seemed to heal up pretty well (much better than if my finger had been perpendicular to the blade), but, more and more often, my fingertip develops a kind of numbness after moving boxes and furniture.

4 1/2 years ago I was diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease. It is a genetic, degenerative condition that eventually shuts down kidney function. Concurrently, it was discovered that my right kidney contained a large tumor that turned out to be malignant, which necessitated the removal of the kidney .

Depending on how fast the PKD progresses,(It varies from individual to individual), I may be needing a kidney transplant in the future.

At present, my remaining kidney is holding in there, and hopefully will remain to to do so for some time.

Janus..My friend has 3 kidneys(serious), I'm going to ask him if he could spare one.

PS.I wonder what doctors would find in me if I were getting totall checkup(MRI and stuff) .how much does it cost to have one?

Janus said:
4 1/2 years ago I was diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease. It is a genetic, degenerative condition that eventually shuts down kidney function. Concurrently, it was discovered that my right kidney contained a large tumor that turned out to be malignant, which necessitated the removal of the kidney .

Depending on how fast the PKD progresses,(It varies from individual to individual), I may be needing a kidney transplant in the future.

At present, my remaining kidney is holding in there, and hopefully will remain to to do so for some time.
Janus, I can't imagine what you're going through. That's got to be a really tough situation to deal with.

Janus said:

Isn't that the same thing Kojo (or however you spell that...the wacky guy from People Magazine who does guest spots on the Today Show about celebrities and fashion) has? He was just interviewed this week saying he's going in for a kidney transplant. Apparently he's still asymptomatic. So, do just celebrities get kidney transplants if they are still asymptomatic, or can the disease advance pretty far before you develop symptoms?

tumor said:
Janus..My friend has 3 kidneys(serious), I'm going to ask him if he could spare one.

PS.I wonder what doctors would find in me if I were getting totall checkup(MRI and stuff) .how much does it cost to have one?

From my understanding, between $1000 - $1500. I've had 2, but both luckily were fully covered by insurance.

As for the kidney, there's no rush. As I said, my present kidney seems to be doing the job for now, and it could continue to do so for years. I do appreciate the thought however.

BoulderHead - Too late. :smile:

Janus - I'd offer you one of mine but I have cysts in both of my kidneys too (I forgot about that one... :rolleyes:) - but nothing like PCK. Are you of Hispanic descent? I know this is more prevelant in their population, as I have a friend of Hispanic descent with PCK.

tumor - Of your entire body? First let me ask you how much you'd be willing to spend. Then let me say "It'll probably cost WAY more than that!" :biggrin: Then, please take a look at this:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/iyh/medical/mri.html
Especially the section heading "Health Risks Associated with Whole Body Screening".

Just in case you weren't joking, please do not seriously consider this.

Also, more than likely, your friends third kidney is considerably smaller than the other two. Unless he's willing to part with one of his fully developed kidneys, go through a lot of rigorous testing, be out of commission for 6-8 weeks following surgery with about a years worth of follow up with his doctors... How good a friend IS he?? :smile: :smile:

Moonbear said:
Isn't that the same thing Kojo (or however you spell that...the wacky guy from People Magazine who does guest spots on the Today Show about celebrities and fashion) has?
Ewwwww, I can't stand that guy, he is SO CREEPY.

Moonbear said:
Isn't that the same thing Kojo (or however you spell that...the wacky guy from People Magazine who does guest spots on the Today Show about celebrities and fashion) has? He was just interviewed this week saying he's going in for a kidney transplant. Apparently he's still asymptomatic. So, do just celebrities get kidney transplants if they are still asymptomatic, or can the disease advance pretty far before you develop symptoms?

Yes, it is the same thing.

I think it is more a matter of having the money to pay for a transplant out of pocket, compared to those of us who rely on medical insurance or HMO's.

As far as symtoms go, it can vary from person to person. Some people can suffer with them for years, and some can have few symtoms up until the kidneys fail. My dad fell in the latter group, we had no knowledge of the fact that he even had PKD, All we knew was that he died of renal failure. It wasn't until after I was diagnosed with it and was told that it was genetic did I, in hindsight, realize that he must of had it too.

Evo said:
Ewwwww, I can't stand that guy, he is SO CREEPY.

He definitely has a bizarre appearance. I've been noticing he's been looking completely emaciated lately, skin almost hanging off of bones. I was thinking he's probably anorexic, with the way his whole career revolves around appearances, but when he announced his disease, I thought maybe it's related to that. But what really bugs me about him is the way he's all mouth! It's one thing for someone to show a lot of teeth when they smile, but not molars! Reminds me of the cartoon character Stitch from Lilo and Stitch.

Tsunami said:
BoulderHead - Too late. :smile:

Janus - I'd offer you one of mine but I have cysts in both of my kidneys too (I forgot about that one... :rolleyes:) - but nothing like PCK. Are you of Hispanic descent? I know this is more prevelant in their population, as I have a friend of Hispanic descent with PCK.

Actually, I'm of Finnish descent.

I KNEW there was something I liked about you! :biggrin: Ivan is part Finnish! You Finns are sweeties! :wink:

Evo said:
Janus, I can't imagine what you're going through. That's got to be a really tough situation to deal with.

I'm doing okay with it. The worst part was right after the diagnosis of the PKD. At the time I was having some discomfort including lower back pain. It became very severe one morning and I went to the Emergency room. The preliminary diagnositic was a kidney stone. They did an IVP, found a blockage, but also noted the enlarged and cystic kidneys. After the finding out I had the PKD and learning that the pain and discomfort I was having was symptomatic of the disease, I thought that I was going to have to live with the pain, and that possibly that it had already progressed to an advanced stage.

Then my urologists sent me for an Ultrasound, and then on the basis of that, a CT scan. That's when they found the tumor. As it turns out, Kidney cancer and PKD share symtoms. It was the tumor and not the PKD that was causing the pain. Since having my right kidney removed, I have been symptom free.

In fact, I may even have the PKD to thank for the early detection of the cancer. From my understanding, in many cases by the time the Kidney cancer becomes symptomatic enough for one to seek attention, the cancer has grown beyond the kidney and spread to other parts of the body. It is just possible that the PKD and tumor together caused me greater symtoms than the tumor alone would, thus prompting my visit to the ER leading to the detection of the tumor.

Janus, I wish you even more courage and strength while dealing with PKD. I have heard that kidney pain feels worse then labor pains a woman experiences without any kind of pain killers...For that, I admire you!

Tsunami said:
I KNEW there was something I liked about you! :biggrin: Ivan is part Finnish!
How much so? And which part(s)? :smile:
You Finns are sweeties! :wink:
:smile:

Yep, stubborn, but sweet!

Janus said:
How much so? And which part(s)? :smile:
As much as is important and the parts that count. :wink: :biggrin:

Actually, he believes he's at least 25% Finnish. Probably more.

Yep, stubborn, but sweet!
He's 100% stubborn for sure. :biggrin:

Hey Janus I'm really sorry to hear about your problems.

One thing that many people take too much for granted is good health - if you have it count your blessings. Life can turn on a dime.

I understand us Finns have many relatives here in Oregon. I did some work for a Sauna company from Finland. Turns out there are many Mackies here - the traditional name for my family...well, first Palo-Mackie then just Mackie. My great-grandpa changed his name when he moved to the US to escape political persecution of some sort.

Ivan Seeking said:
Hey Janus I'm really sorry to hear about your problems.

One thing that many people take too much for granted is good health - if you have it count your blessings. Life can turn on a dime.

I understand us Finns have many relatives here in Oregon. I did some work for a Sauna company from Finland. Turns out there are many Mackies here - the traditional name for my family...well, first Palo-Mackie then just Mackie. My great-grandpa changed his name when he moved to the US to escape political persecution of some sort.

My grandfather did the same, the original was Parviainen. He shortened it and gave it a more "English" spelling. His brothers, who had moved to the US too, also shortened theirs, but one just shortened it to Parvi, and the other shortened it and changed the "i" to a "y".

The original family name means "from Parvi", as Parvi was the name of the village from which the family originated. Parvi is also the Finnish word for "flock"

Janus said:
From my understanding, in many cases by the time the Kidney cancer becomes symptomatic enough for one to seek attention, the cancer has grown beyond the kidney and spread to other parts of the body. It is just possible that the PKD and tumor together caused me greater symtoms than the tumor alone would, thus prompting my visit to the ER leading to the detection of the tumor.
This is true. I'm very glad yours was caught early. I hope you continue to do well! :smile: We NEED you here!