How Far Can You Hear the Siren at 2400 Hz?

Hz. Therefore, we can focus on using the inverse square law to calculate the distance a person can be located from the siren to barely hear it.In summary, using the inverse square law, a person with a threshold of hearing of 36.0 dB at a frequency of 2400 Hz can be located at a distance of approximately 280 meters from the siren emitting sound with a frequency of 2400 Hz, where the sound level is 75.0 dB at a distance of 47.0 m from the siren. This calculation was done by first finding the intensity of the sound at 75 dB and then using that
kopinator
The sound level from a siren emitting sound with a frequency of 2400 Hz is 75.0 dB at a distance of 47.0 m from the siren. Assume that the intensity of that sound obeys the inverse square law. Calculate how far from the siren a person, with a threshold of hearing of 36.0 dB at that frequency, can be located to barely be able to hear the sound from that siren.

I= P/4πr^2
decibels(dB)= 10log(I/I0)
I0= 1.0x10^-12

I used the 2nd equation given to find the intensity of the sound at 75 db and then plugged that into the 1st equation given to find the power, P. Once I found P, i used the 2nd equation to find the intensity of the sound at 36 dB. I plugged in that number into the 1st equation and solved for r. I feel like I need to involve the frequency to find the answer but I don't know how.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the frequency would be an issue

1. What is a hearing threshold problem?

A hearing threshold problem is a condition where an individual has difficulty hearing sounds at certain frequencies. This can range from mild to severe and can affect one or both ears.

2. What causes a hearing threshold problem?

Hearing threshold problems can be caused by a variety of factors, including age-related hearing loss, exposure to loud noises, genetics, ear infections, and certain medications.

3. How is a hearing threshold problem diagnosed?

A hearing threshold problem is typically diagnosed through a hearing test, which measures the softest sounds an individual can hear at different frequencies. A physician or audiologist may also ask about the individual's medical history and perform a physical examination of the ears.

4. Can a hearing threshold problem be treated?

In some cases, a hearing threshold problem can be treated. This may include using hearing aids or cochlear implants to improve hearing, or medication or surgery to address underlying medical conditions. However, treatment options will vary depending on the cause and severity of the problem.

5. How can a hearing threshold problem be prevented?

While some causes of hearing threshold problems, such as age and genetics, cannot be prevented, there are steps individuals can take to protect their hearing. These include wearing ear protection in loud environments, avoiding prolonged exposure to loud noises, and seeking prompt treatment for ear infections.